Reload this Page >

Infamous ice cream near Notre Dame

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:42 PM
scaltreto

I was recently told NOT to miss having ice cream at a place right in the vicinity of Notre Dame. I guess it is famous for its ice cream. Does anyone know the name of the place and the location and/or directions from Notre Dame. I was told it is within walking distance. Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:55 PM
ice

I guess you mean Bertillon's on the Ile St Louis - famous rather than infamous <BR><BR>Go past Notre Dame to its east end, then cross the bridge to the next island. Bertillon's is on the central street (Rue St Louis en l'Ile).

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:57 PM
karen blixen

Berthillon - yep, it's wonderful.<BR><BR>make sure you go to THE store, not ones claiming to sell its ice cream.<BR><BR>Karen

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:12 PM
xxx

<BR>Bertillion, 31 rue St- Louis-en-'Ile (on the Ile St-Louis, the smaller island <BR>next to the Ile de la Cite where Notre Dame is located). Bertillion is not cheap and the hours of opening are odd, but it does indisputably have the best ice cream in Paris. There used to be (and I hope still is) a delightful tiny bistro called the Auberge de la Reine Blanche nearby on the other side of the rue St-Louis-en-'Ile - there you can get the best onion tart appetizer in Paris, and a great dinner.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:27 PM
speller b

if you need to look it up/call to ask for it - make sure you have the spelling right.<BR><BR>Berthillon<BR><BR>one h, no extra i<BR><BR>http://www.timeout.com/paris/feature...ldcomfort.html

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:46 PM
MM

I don't know what brand ice cream they sell at the Louvre, but it's excellent as well.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Nancy

I don't want to start an ice cream war but...the best ice cream (gelato) I had was in Florence (Rick Steves' choice) and in Switzerland, also in Venice. I had a chocolate cone at Berthillon's (original) and was not impressed. Is their a difference between ice cream and gelato?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:19 PM
kc

<BR>There is no Berthillon flavor that is NOT delicious!<BR>I make it a point to try to taste as many as I can on each visit!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:31 PM
me

The ice cream is famous...<BR>it's the servers who are infamous.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:57 PM
syl

I beg to differ.The scoop is tiny and, after asking for a cherry icecream cone, I found the taste too sour to eat it and asked for another flavor.Not only was the price the most expensive anywhere but they gave me a dirty look as if I had the gall to request another flavor.I wouldn't recommend that place to anyone.The gelato in other areas is far better and service is superior elsewhere as well.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:33 AM
murray

The very best ice cream to be found ANYWHERE is IMO here in the US of A. Its called Graeters and the say that the are the oldest manufacturer of ice cream in the United States. The have just a few stores in Ohio and Kentucky, but you can order some on their website. Trust me it is to die for.