Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Inexpensive travel from London to Ireland...Ireland to France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/inexpensive-travel-from-london-to-ireland-ireland-to-france-235620/)

me Jun 30th, 2002 09:51 AM

Inexpensive travel from London to Ireland...Ireland to France

Hello All,<BR><BR>Any recommendations for inexpensive travel from England (or Scotland) to Ireland....and then....Ireland to France....I will be hosteling through 18 countries (yes....a budget traveler). I have a Eurail pass (3 month, 17 countries...no restrictions. and I know this Eurail pass allows me some discounts on boats and on the "Chunnel" too.<BR><BR>ps. I have no interest in swimming although I am sure it can be the most inexpensive way to travel. Thank you though.<BR><BR>Tim

Rex Jun 30th, 2002 10:00 AM

Clearly the answer is www.ryanair.com<BR><BR>Am I to understand that you have already purchased a Eurailpass? For $1126 USD? Yikes. Not my idea of budget traveling. I don't ask in a critical tone, but to dispel the notion - - for others reading this - - that rail passes are for budget travelers.<BR><BR>Rail passes are for CONSTANT travelers, in my mind. The best budget travel, from my persepctive is to travel around less, see where you are more.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

amg Jun 30th, 2002 10:22 AM

Also try www.easyjet.com

up Jun 30th, 2002 03:18 PM

up<BR>

Chester Smith Jul 1st, 2002 06:07 AM

try www.ryanair.com<BR>

Ann Jul 1st, 2002 08:09 AM

You can fly from Gatwick or Luton to Belfast on easyjet. Ryanair will take you to Dublin. Also check out British Midland (www.flybmi.com). Sometimes they run specials.

Tom Jul 1st, 2002 02:16 PM

Good answer, Chester.<BR>

flygirl Jul 1st, 2002 03:06 PM

I think it would be very cool if these carriers got together and offered some sort of discount pass like Eurail. (or do they)<BR><BR><BR>600 bucks gets you 5 trips in 2 months or something like that.

me Jul 1st, 2002 03:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Wish me luck! (I am scared (almost to death) but excited too!) My first trip...and ALONE too. :)<BR><BR>Tim

Rex Jul 1st, 2002 05:24 PM

&lt;&lt;600 bucks gets you 5 trips in 2 months or something like that.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Actually many of the fares are even cheaper than ($600 divided by 5 = $120; www.europebyair.com offers tons of fares for $99, ryanair and easyjet have many chepaer than that).<BR><BR>I've always been puzzled at why people are attracted to pre-purchasing a lot of (intra-Europe) transportation at a "discount". Then you feel like you HAVE to use it to justify the purchase in the first place!<BR><BR>

cjhjhjhjhj Jul 2nd, 2002 12:32 AM

try www.go-fly.com as well as <BR>www.easyjet.co.uk. (Easyjet offer flights from Glasgow to Belfast from &pound;0 if you are flexible when you travel - you just pay the tax).

Ann Jul 2nd, 2002 06:28 AM

Correction: easyjet only flies from Luton to Belfast, not Gatwick.