Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Inexpensive travel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/inexpensive-travel-746388/)

GSteed Nov 3rd, 2007 11:31 AM

Inexpensive travel?

Buy tickets early, pack lightly, sleep in B&Bs or private rooms and eat at McDonald's. More ideas?

Andrew Nov 3rd, 2007 11:38 AM

Buying tickets early and packing lightly may not save you money, though packing lightly can sure make getting around easier. If you travel at a peak time it probably pays to book hotels early (especially the budget places) before they book up. But I've gotten great deals on airline tickets even a few weeks before departure, probably not worse than people got booking them six months in advance.

I would suggest learning the public transit system in a city and using it instead of taking taxis. Sometimes using a bus may help you book cheaper lodgings in a place that would otherwise be difficult to get to.

TravMimi Nov 3rd, 2007 11:58 AM

Buy city cards such as Roma Pass.

Apres_Londee Nov 3rd, 2007 12:17 PM

Stay for longer periods in few places- hopping on a train or a plane every 3 days adds up.

Rent apartments and book them early, because the best of the cheapies go fast.

Look for pensions that have mini-fridges in the rooms.

Buy groceries. Eat real food.

Avoid the "penny-wise pound-foolish" way of thinking. Know when spending a little more means lots back in return.

margyb Nov 3rd, 2007 12:56 PM

Eat at small places where the locals dine....not McDonalds. Yuck!

In the cities, there is lots of inexpensive take-away food to choose from. Check out the farmer's markets and grocery stores also.

margy

CRAZY4TRAVEL Nov 3rd, 2007 02:03 PM

I agree with margyb...I usually eat in family style bistros or trattoria, buy picnic lunches and splash out for a few memorable meals. I refuse to go to McDonald's or any such fast food joints. Then again I don't eat at McDonald's at home either.

kleeblatt Nov 3rd, 2007 02:07 PM

Switzerland:

Forget McDonald's. They are quite expensive here.

Go to Migros, Coop or self-serve Manor restaurants. Buy picnics. Eat out of your backpack while hiking.

nytraveler Nov 3rd, 2007 05:18 PM

Look at dorm room beds in hostels versus B&Bs, buy food in the markets for picnics (a Big Mac meal will run $10 plus), walk as much as possible and check out all the free activities. (Some museums/attractions are $20 plus.)

bettyk Nov 3rd, 2007 06:15 PM

GSteed, what do you consider to be "inexpensive". Since it is all relative, you might want to give us some guidelines.

lvillinois Nov 3rd, 2007 06:37 PM

pack picnics and ditto on the public trans....

what would be the cheap eats places in different cities, I think I remember a sandwich place called Treats in England, pretty good

twoflower Nov 3rd, 2007 06:45 PM

Agree mainly, but not sure about "buy tickets early". I generally pre-book very little before I leave, and I find things cheaper if I just turn up than if I try to prebook on the web before leaving home.

suze Nov 4th, 2007 09:18 AM

McDonald's is not always cheap. I prefer grocery stores or bakeries or street food instead.

Drink wine not soda.

I'd take a lesser hotel over a nice B&B myself (for more privacy).

Look for free things to do - concerts, street markets, local events, etc.

pincopallo_it Nov 4th, 2007 09:26 AM

last 2 summers i exchanged houses !!!
fantastic experience and ...so cheap !!!
ciao