Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive souvenirs in Paris...Please tell me what you got.

Mar 8th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

I see all the "What did you buy in Paris" threads but I wanted to know what was the most bang for the buck and was cheap too...

Tell me your favorite souvenirs that were not expensive either...PLEASE.
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Along the Seine next to Notre Dame Cathedral are lots of souviner shops. Outside of most are racks of scarves. I've picked up a few that say "Paris" in large letters all over them for under 10Euros. Different colors (navy, grey, etc.) and they really look as nice as my very expensive ones. They make perfect gifts, as well because they weigh nothing and take up no room packing.

I bought a friend a nice "Paris" tote--again in a souviner shop--in Versailles. I paid less than 20E and she loves it. Remember that things we might consider tacky from a souviner shop is often fun to those who didn't get to go!

Posters from the Bookinestas are also a bargain.
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Some beautiful Limoges canapé plates that were the equivalent of 4 Euros each at a time that Williams-Sonoma was selling a set of 6 for $75.
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM

My souvenirs all across Europe are free and a snap to carry - i collect beer coasters from cafes - with European brands on them and use them at home. Which leads me to a joke i heard at the Tuborg Brewery in Copenhagen long ago - the tour guide said that when Russian groups came (a long time ago during the Soviet era) he would ask them how they liked the samples - and they would say the beer was great but the biscuits were a little dry - referring to the beer coasters they thought were biscuits and probably tasted like some they would buy in Russian bakeries of the time!)
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I bought a fabulous "fake pashmina" of the street for about 6 euros. Very very soft...I wish I had bought more.
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:56 AM
tod

A velvety kind of shoulder wrap made in India/China/Pakistan costing 10euros at a shop just off Place du Tetre.

Two little musical boxes playing French tunes, made in Switzerland. Shop in Palais Royal. About 25euros each.

A teeny weeny little cup & saucer hand painted and would ya believe it - Made in France! Shop in rue Yvonne Le Tac.
About 25euros.
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:55 AM

a cobalt blue ashtray .. 2E's...
BUT I was looking for a pillow embroidered with "Paris"... There was one of those in my flat, and I don't steal but couldn't find one!
Next trip...
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I love to collect t-shirts from different travel destinations. I bought a black mens t-shirt in a small store (as opposed to a street vendor) near the Louvre. It was sealed in plastic, but there was a sample to check out. When I got it home, we discovered that it was made of some material closely resembling toilet paper, unlike the one on display. It literally disolved in the washed the first time we washed it. It was not even usable as a rag. I bought several minature cognac bottles shaped like the Eiffel Tower, they are pretty kewl. We also bought a cut glass lead crystal of the Tower, however it was far from inexpensive. If I was into "prints" or lithos, there are tons of street vendors selling some beautiful stuff.
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Just got back from Paris Sunday...in the Eiffel Tower giftshop I bought a picture viewer much like the old Viewmaster I had as a kid. 5 Euro, and it has about 15 different sites. I picked up several berets with the Eiffel tower logo and Paris written on them for 7 Euro in a row of shops near the Pompidou. I got several postcards from a news stand, 10 for 2 Euro. Not only were some of them for my students, but usually you can get shots you can't take with your camera...Now I want to go back!!!
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM

A colored print of various french pastries that I picked up for about $10 in a stationary store.
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM

I was so disappointed to see most of the inexpensive things were made in China, I wanted to bring back only Made In France items. My list quickli shrunk.
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Underhill, where did you find those little Limoges plates, plz?

I used to bring back small soaps and other products from l'Occitane, but now we have 2 shops in Pgh. Depending upon where you're from, these "produits provencaux" are lovely gifts, souvenirs. The shops are all over Paris and they have a section in Galeries Lafayettes.
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM

DH has tiny pewter figures from trips-Eiffel Tower of course from Paris! They're on his desk at work so he can daydream. We also bought a small water color at Place de Tetre for around $30.
We check out stationery stores for small prints, interesting paper pads.
I buy the $10ish book at whatever museum we are visiting. Oh, and book marks at the Louvre-very cheap and easy to pack. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM

I love going to Montmartre - there are always a lot of street venders - great bags, etc. Also, I go to the fabric stores there and buy beautiful fabrics - all not expensive.
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I have always sought matted photographs or prints as souvenirs ... they are easy to carry (matted, not framed) and make wonderful momentos. My daughter and I have been collecting them during our travels since she was about 10. She recently bought a condo and the walls are adorned with a wonderful array of these momentos.
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Fridge magnets and floaty pens, 5€ or so
Long neck scarves, 10€
"Tapestry" pillow cases, 20€ and up
Tile house#s from BHV, ?€
Soaps, 2-4€ each
Striking postcards to use in my scrapbook, 1-3€
Paris Metro scarf (made in Italy!), ?€
Paris Metro coffee mug, around 8€
Mar 8th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Grandmere,

The Limoges plates came from the Vessaillerie shop on the rue St-Honoré, just around the corner from the intersection with the Place du Marché St-Honoré. I'm glad you asked, because it made the shop's name pop into my mind after a day of trying.
Mar 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM

P.S.

The shop also has a great selection of white porcelain tableware, along with delightful refrigerator magnets.
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM

I would stay away from the inexpensive pashminas, unless they say "Paris" in some fashion. As cheap as they are, you can get them incredibly cheap on eBay, and they have nothing to do with Paris.

As cheesy as it sounds, I bought a simple little 4" Eiffel Tower figurine with fake crystals on it to replicate the Tower when they turn on the sparkle lights at night. It sits in my office and makes me happy every time I see it.

Go to La Duree, get a box of macaroons (eat them shortly upon your return, they don't hold up well) and use the cute little box for mementos like your ticket stubs.
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM

My co-worker brought me back a small bath soap. It has beautiful wrapping and is colored, shaped, and scented like an orange.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO