Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive Restaurants in Rome and Venice

Aug 30th, 2000, 08:19 AM
marla

Looking for inexpensive restaurants in Rome and Venice that will provide a traditional italian meal that the locals have.
Don't mind if we have to go off the beaten path.
Have scoured the guidebooks and this forum but it is hard to tell which are tourist traps, would appreciate personal recommendations from recent experiences.
Thanks.

Aug 30th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Paulo

I'm just reposting an old message, regarding cheap eats in Venice ...

- Rosticceria - Calle della Bissa, San Marco 5424 - Tel: 041/5223569 closed Monday - cc accepted
- Taverna S. Trovaso - Fond. Priuli, Dorsoduro 1016 - Tel: 041/5203703 closed Monday - cc accepted - reservations essential
- L'Incontro - Rio TerrÓ Canal, Dorsoduro 3062/a - Tel: 041/5222404 closed Monday - cc accpeted - reservations essential
- Al Mascaron - C Lunga S M Formosa, Castello 5525 - Tel: 041/522-5995 closed Sunday - no cc - reservations essential

The Rosticceria is one of our preferred places to have a quick lunch when near Rialto. There's a street level cafeteria with a few tables where you "see" what you order. Quick service and delicious food. Specialities are seppie (squid) con polenta, spaghetti alle vongole, three bacala dishes (different collours), mozzarelle in carrozza and arancini. There's also a restaurant upstairs, serving essentially the same dishes, but considerably more expensive.
The San Trovaso has a cozy first floor dining room with wood paneling and brick vaults. The good food ranges from cotoletta and spezzatina to pizza and seafood. Beware that there was at least one negative review recently in this forum.
L'Incontro offers exquisite sardinian dishes like culingiones (big raviolis with saffron, ricotta, peccorino and flavoured with orange peel), Angus steak, wild duck, boar, etc. If the weather is ok you might sit outside and watch the movement of people in Campo Santa Margherita. I highly recommended this place.
The Al Mascaron is also one of our preferred economic places. It's always very lively and crowded. The atmosphere is completely informal. It's one of the most popular osterie in town. Very good are the pasta dishes, with caparosoli (vongole), l'astese, col nero de sepe (squid ink).

Finally, there are a couple of restaurants I use to go to when I was a student (with a big hunger and empty pockets <g>). These are the rather touristy Provoledo and Bella Venezia. Their touristic menus are nothing special, but are very cheap, generous and quite good (or was my hunger such that just about everything would be acceptable?). Haven't been in ages so have no idea if things are still ok.

Bacari Tour - Before sitting down for dinner, we usually first go to a bacaro (wine bar) for a glass of wine and snacks and experience one of the interesting aspects of Venetian daily life. That's what thousands of Venetians do after work, from 6 to 7:30pm, before going home for dinner, where they meet with friends and have a chat. Eventually, we might go to several of these bacari, skipping dinner altogether. In the Veneto dialect, this is referred to as "andare a ombre e cicheti", or to tour a number of osterie and bacari tasting cicheti (small dishes of fish, ham, salami, etc.) and sipping ombra, a small glass of wine. One may choose bacari that are close to each other in the same sestiere or group bacari in different sestiere and make a long evening/night walk (Ombralunga). Though Rick Steves recommends such a tour (he's got a specific example) not many tourists do it ... it certainly is fun, though (and cheap).

Paulo

Aug 31st, 2000, 07:00 PM
topper

What about Rome?

Aug 31st, 2000, 08:00 PM
Moira

In Rome I would recommend Fiaschetteria Beltramme, Via della Croce 39. It is a very bare bones place with delicious homey food. It is listed in some guide books and it's near the Spanish Steps, so it's not exactly off the beaten path, but I thought it was terrific (and it's so unassuming-looking I doubt that it's much of a tourist trap).

Sep 1st, 2000, 06:06 AM
sally

Marla: Do a search for Rome restaurants on this forum. I did so not long a go and came up with a nice list to use in Oct. when we're there.

Sep 2nd, 2000, 09:54 AM
Paulo

In Rome, Marla, you may try:

*RISTORANTE ABRUZZI (Via Vaccaro 1, Tel 06/6793897) - Located just off Piazza Venezia, at he end of Piazza Santi Apostoli, is one of our favorite little restaurant in the center of the old town. It's exceptional good value make it a student's choice. Very few tourists. Try the house Cannelloni.

* CANTINA CANTARINI (Piazza Sallustio 12, Tel 06/485528) - Located between the Via Veneto and Piazzale Porta Pia, this place serves regional cuisine from Le Marche and seafood/fish twice a week. There are tables outside in summer.

* DA GINO (Vic. Rosini 4, Tel 06/6873434) - A 10 minute stroll from Piazza di Spagna, just off Piazza del Parlamento towards the river. Very good traditional Roman cuisine/fish in a characteristic trattoria. The beautiful frescoes give it a nice touch. Very good service. Try the osso bucco and the tiramis˙.

Now ... IMO a Rome visitor that doesn't dine at least once in Trastevere will have missed that Roman "atmosphere" completely. You may just stroll the quarter in the early evening and choose a restaurant "on the run". There are dozens that are budget. Just choose one that is filled with Italians and you'll do fine. Though I could single out a few, I'll only mention one (very cheap)

* GINO IN TRASTEVERE (V della Lungaretta 85, Tel 06/5803403) - Fish/Pizza. Though very modest this the place where we got the best spaghetti alle vongole veraci in town ... well, maybe we were longing for those spaghetti for ages

Paulo

Sep 22nd, 2000, 02:30 PM
ady

Very useful information. Any others?
What about inexpensive restaurants in Florence?

...To the Top!

Sep 22nd, 2000, 04:23 PM
richardab

Check out my websight for restaurant suggestions and more info about Rome. The sight isn't completely finished but the Rome section is.

http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/

Follow the path;

Enter>Fly>Europe>Rome

Let me know what you think.

Sep 25th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Paulo

In Florence, Ady, I haven't been to some of these places in years ... price tags in one or the other may have gone over what could be called inexpensive depending on what one orders:

- Cinghiale Bianco (Borgo S. Jacopo, 43/r - Tel: 055/215706) Reserve a table in the mezzanine (very romantic at candle light) and ask for a wild boar with polenta;

- Armando (Borgo Ognissanti, 140/r - Tel: 055/216219) Try the excelent liver with fried veggies or rabbit (if available)

- La Maremmana (Via dei Macci, 77/r - Tel: 055/241226) Try the ribollita and stracotto

- Trattoria Sostanza "Dal Troia" (Via Porcellana, 25/r - Tel: 055/212691) Try the "Trippa alla fiorentina" ... it looks weird ... but it's delicious! They have an excellent Bistecca but the price tag may be somewhat high; Reservations mandatory (very small restaurant) and you'll sit in shared tables of 8.

- Trattoria Mario (Via Rosina, 2/r - Tel: 055/218550) For a quick lunch, no frills Florentine cuisine!

Paulo

Oct 1st, 2000, 03:57 PM
Vance

Marla,
I can second the recommendation of Mascaron 041.5225995,closed Sunday. Gigi,the guy who owns it also owns a wine bar around the corner. I literally stumbled upon one of the best eating experiences I've had (being a former European trained chef and having traveled a great deal in Europe I've had a few).

The one I'm speaking of is "Bentigodi" Osteria da Andrea. Cannaregio,1423 Venice tel# 041/716269.
Unbeleivable fish and seafood! Very modest place with communal tables and casually dressed and very well informed and passionate waitstaff. Great aperatifs and wine by the unmarked bottle out of a larger cask. These very simple fish preparations with incredibly high quality ingredients will probably be some of the best food you will have eaten. Much of the species are not to be had here in the states so enjoy. Very moderate prices $20-25/person.

The last two are wine bars that serve delicious appetizers(chicetti sp?)
Both are near the Fish market at the Rialto Bridge (no addresses or tel#'s). One is called Vino de Pinto (on the edge of a square) which also serves sit down lunch. The other is Osteria All Aro. This one is run by the son out front and Mom in back creating these little masterpieces. Little fried veal and spinach meatballs,salt cod puree on crostini,delicate fried vegetable. All of these things ar $2-3 each. It's a truly unique eating culture,these types of bars and are not to be missed.

Have fun.

Vance

Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:58 AM
Maddy

For Venice I would add Ae Oche for good pizza and lovely salads. We had fun and good food there one lively evening at a table on their narrow wooden deck. Very inexpensive. I think we spent about $20 with house wine for the two of us. And we really loved Alla Zucca. Small place, off the beaten path, on a corner of a small canal in a neighborhood. Well prepared and for us, especially good because they had about a dozen non-meat selections among their various courses, the kind of things both veggies (like me) and non veggies would enjoy.

In Florence we enjoyed Bienvenuto, a more family run type of place, friendly and good food. Recommended to us by a local, not our hotel.

Have a great time.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 01:20 PM
JUDY

Hi Marla,,don't know how cheap you want to go,,,but I would definitely go to but L'Orso 80 is superb for the price!!! We had the antipasti special and could not eat all the food they served us!!! Veal meatballs, prosciutto & mellons, fried veges and more wonderful things than you can imagine!!! We went there twice, and each time there were mostly local and some tourists....it is great and I would go back in a heartbeat!!! It is on Via del'orso...FYI.