Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Inexpensive Moscow hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/inexpensive-moscow-hotel-654824/)

pamdamage Oct 24th, 2006 12:37 PM

Inexpensive Moscow hotel?

It's been a while since I've seen a posting and I'm having trouble searching on this topic.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive hotel near Red Square? I realize that may be an oxymoron but worth asking. Are there ANY options under $100 without going outside the city? We're only there for a limited time so I would consider paying more but am hoping to avoid it.

Thanks!

carwahl Oct 27th, 2006 12:23 PM

There really aren't any inexpensive hotels near Red Square. About a 30-40 minute walk from Red Square is the Belgrade hotel. You could get a single room for anywhere between $130 and $170 depending on the time of year and if there's a conference in town. This is for the unrenovated room, by the way. Hotels are crazy expensive in Moscow.

It is possible to stay at one of the hostels/guest houses that are within a very long walk.

Do a websearch. I haven't stayed at them, but if you search you'll see that some look a lot better than others.

Another great alternative, in my opinion, is the Bed and Breakfast. These aren't the British type of B&B, rather stay in a room of someone's apartment. You can choose if you want extra services in addition to the bed and breakfast (additional meals, guides, airport transfers). I've stayed in several of these. They have English speaking hosts, and it's a great way to learn a lot more about Russia than you would by staying in a hotel. There are others, but a good B&B out fit is called HOFA.

Good luck!

bardo1 Oct 29th, 2006 05:03 AM

Good luck! Iam also looking at Moscow hotels (for next summer). A basic Holiday Inn is running $500-$600 per night and that is not even that close to Red Square.

I am also considering the Belgrade. It's about a 15 minute walk to Red Square and an unrenovated double is looking around $250 night. It's about the best value I have found yey and I've looked at EVERY hotel. I'm booking this week.

katya_NY Oct 29th, 2006 12:28 PM

I can't speak to the exact cost of a room, but the Kosmos might fit the bill. It is one of few budget options in Moscow. The rooms are spartan, but they are on the metro (not near Red Square- nothing affordable is). The best aspect is the breakfast buffet, which is absolutely enormous.

Good luck!
%%-

joievivre Nov 2nd, 2006 07:32 AM

I know what you're talking about, Moscow is lacking in affordable hotels, it's comparable to NYC, maybe even worse. Have you considered renting an apartment? See my review on www.cityrealtyrussia.com in the forum--I got an apartment through them (about 20 min walking from Red Square or 2 metro stops) that slept 3 people for about $150/night and I highly recommend them. I'm not sure if you'll find anything under $100/night in the "inner ring", but if that's your budget I wouldn't hesitate staying along the ring or slightly outside as long as it's near a metro--Russian subways are extremely efficient and come often, getting into the center doesn't take long.

LindaL Nov 2nd, 2006 07:56 AM

I am having the same problem. I am going solo and Moscow hotels prices are making me seriously review my plans.

bardo1 Nov 2nd, 2006 11:17 AM

LindaL,

Like you, I about lost it when I discovered that a $500 hotel room in Moscow meant somewhat removed from tourist attractions, unrenovated, no AC and often NO HOT WATER for several weeks in the summer!

I also recommend you consider an <b>apartment</b>. You can get a beautiful place within a 10 minute walk to Red Square and steps to Metro for under $200/night (Pam - or within the ring road for $100/night).

I am going with this agency - http://www.apartmentres.com/
free internet, free satellite and free international phone calls (I've noticed most Moscow apartment agencies offer these). Also they have offices in USA, Moscow, St. Petersburg and offer visa support, transfers, etc. In fact, you can arrange for the driver who picks you up at the airport/train station to stop en route to your apartment to register your visa at their local office. They will even stock your kitchen before you arrive. Pretty simple.

City Realty, suggested above, offers most of this too. Go for an apartment!

Garfield Nov 2nd, 2006 06:05 PM

Try the Izmailovo Gamma-Delta Hotels, outside but near metro. Check rate on various sites. I see it listed at $95 on Cruise.ru and 2400Rbl on other sites.

LindaL Nov 2nd, 2006 07:10 PM

Thank you very much for the helpful suggestions. now I just have to work on the Cyrillic alphabet!!