Inexpensive London Hotels/Apartments

Nov 8th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Jess

Inexpensive London Hotels/Apartments

Hey Fodorites! I've posted on this page before about looking for inexpensive places to stay in London (and, yeah, I ranted a little, too), but I'm needing some names of places again. My organizational skills have left me without my little sheet of paper that has all the great places y'all told me to check out. My budget is extremely limited (about 35 pounds per night or $50) and I am traveling alone so I don't want to stay in an unsecure area. I'd like to be able to leave my things in my room and not worry about them. Any help y'all could provide (again) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nov 8th, 2001, 05:46 AM
N.O. Chance

Well good luck in finding anything in central London for that price that won't be a rathole. You will be better off looking out to the edges of the city, in a location that has good train service. That way you can get the price you want but have to commute in. However, you will need to factor in the cost of the return train fare (round ticket) and add that to the price of the room to get true cost.

You can probably find something in London for that price but I fear it will be not too desirable part of town and will be pretty drab and nasty room ... and likely sharing a bath with all kinds of riff-raff.

You might find something out around the Earl's Court area-lots of cheap joints there. Also up around Kings Cross train station are some cheaper places (but quite a dreary area). Also might, just might, find something around Victoria Station, but doubtful.

Good Luck on your quest

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Lidija

In May I stayed at the Ridgemont Hotel in Bloomsbury for 33 pounds for a single including breakfast. It was perfect. Not luxury but all I did was sleep in the room so who needs anything else. But it was clean and I felt safe for myself and my belongings.

Any specific questions about the hotel ask away.

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Giovanni

Jess,
When are you going? I did a quick search on Laterooms.com and found several properties available; the following properties were available for a single guest arriving on Nov. 27 for 7 nights:

SARA HOTEL -1*, 28L
ROYAL EAGLE HOTEL, PADDINGTON/HYDE PARK -3*, 40L
ROSE HOTEL -2*, 45L
PARK INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, SOUTH KENSINGTON -4*, selected nights available at 35L, other nights at 93L
GEORGE HOTEL -2*, 30L
COMFORT INN BAYSWATER -3*, 40L

This was just a sampling of the properties available. I assume most are for shared facilities. The only property I can vouch for is the George Hotel in Bloomsbury. I stayed there 4 years ago and had a single room with shared facilities--nothing fancy, but safe, clean and reasonable. It is my understanding that they have refurbished recently; perhaps someone else can comment on the condition of the property since the refurbishment.

I suggest you check Laterooms.com as there are some great deals available.

Buon viaggi,
Giovanni

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Jess

Thanks for the help! Giovanni, unfortunately I'm not going until January so laterooms.com doesn't help very much. But thank you for all the infomation! Lidija-thanks! I'll try it. (I think you've helped me in the past with some things too : ) ) I have found some great rates (discounts) on londontown.com but I was wondering if anyone knows about these hotels/areas:

Rushmore Hotel in Earls Court

London Town Hotel (I think it's in Earls Court, too)

The discounts are great (literally 50% off normal rates) and if the area is good and there are no hideous complaints about these places I may try to book one of them by the end of the week. Thanks!

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Giovanni

Jess,
I understand that waiting until 3 weeks before travelling to reserve your room may be stressful...I suggest the following for consideration:

Make a reservation now in a hotel that offers a reasonable cancellation (ie. 72hrs in advance), and then 3 weeks before your departure date, check Laterooms.com for deals. I did this earlier this year for my trip to London and was able to stay in a Thistle 4* hotel for less than I was paying to stay in a Best Western 3*!

Buona fortuna,
Giovanni

Nov 8th, 2001, 08:25 AM
janis

Depending on what happens on the world stage - rooms will probably be even cheaper in Jan. than they are now. So Giovanni's suggestion is a good one. Book any decent place as your insurance - but a couple of weeks before your trip contact Laterooms and you will probably find lots to choose from.

Nov 8th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Steven

I'd try Priceline. I paid $60 in August for a 4* hotel. You can get a 3* for less. Look at www.biddingfortravel.com for advice on how to use Priceline effectively.