Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive hotels in Florence...I know it's been done to death

Dec 13th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Mariarosa

Hi! We prefer hotels that cost less than $75, but we are willing to spend up to $120 if the hotels are worth it. We are going in the low-season (Feb 23 - 25).

Requirements: Must be centrally located (not more than 10 minutes from the Duomo) and have private baths. Any comments on these or other hotels (I'm having a hard time choosing)?

Casci - many good comments on this forum, seems to be a solid two-star. about $85.

Bellettini - a Fodor's pick. Good feedback on the annex, but a splurge at about $100 - 110.

Hotel Dali - really cheap, looks OK on the website, about $55 - 60.

Hotel Fenice Palace - great location, a splurge at $110, is it worth it?

Thanks!

Dec 13th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Grasshopper

I thought the Casci's location was great and the owners very nice. But I think we paid over $100.

It's snowing today in Florence! Can you imagine how beautiful it is?

Dec 13th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Julie

I've only been to Florence once and stayed at the Bellettini which I loved. The location was great, the staff went the extra mile for you and I felt the price was worth it. I understand that you're trying to staying within a certain budget, so if that's a top consideration you might want to stay at one of the other places you've listed. P.S. By any chance, is the rate you quoted their low-season rate. I'm assuming you asked already, but was just curious.

Dec 13th, 2001, 11:46 AM
W. A. Robison

Check out the Relais Uffizi and see if it fits your needs.

http://www.venere.com/firenze/uffizi/

We stayed there last Spring and found it to be well worth the cost.

Dec 13th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Dottie

Albergo Firenze (055)214.203-268.301
Fax 212370
We stayed at this hotel in "99". It had pleasant room and newly remodeled private baths. Two blocks from the Duomo! What a wonderful location!! We walked everywhere!!! It was not expensive but I don't remember what it acually costs. I think somewhere around $50.00 a night including a continental breakfast.

Dec 13th, 2001, 09:14 PM
kmax

I stayed at Hotel Casci this summer. Paid about $110/night (high season in late June). You can't beat the location for its proximity to the Duomo, etc. I would highly reccommend it for cleanliness, BREAKFAST!, and friendlness.

Dec 14th, 2001, 01:21 AM
Kelly

I want to second the Albergo Firenze! I stayed there in April for 150,000 lira, less than $75. Great location, and the rooms were a good size. Staff there was very helpful as well, also has elevator if that is important.

Dec 14th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Sue

Another vote for Bellettini annex!

Dec 14th, 2001, 05:40 PM
ron

I stayed at casci in nov. 85 a night with breakfast. very nice hotel.Also a nice perk is the free internet service. Service is wonderful and they gladly make reservations for you.

Dec 14th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Daphne

Stayed 1 week at Fenice Palace - got to know it well as I was in bed with the flu for 5 of those days. We had the only room with a view - on the top floor with a small square window from which you could see the Duomo. They tried to give us a cellar room, which we refused. Buffet breakfast-the 2 days I could eat it, was good. Don't think the management cared if I lived or died though! Very central and worth $110.

Dec 15th, 2001, 03:55 AM
jg

We stayed at the Bellettini this summer (the regular hotel, not the annex). We loved it. I'd highly recommend it.

Dec 15th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Thanks

Actually, even if it's been "done to death," trying to run a "search" for this information is pointless, given the current state of things here. So thanks for raising the question again, because I, too, would like the information.

Dec 16th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Maureen

Hi,
We stayed at a great B&B(Dei Mori) in Florence this past June. This B&B is centrally located with all the sites at our doorstep. Check their web site www.bnb.it/deimori. We loved it. This was the most expensive placed we stayed on our trip at appoximately $120.00 Canadian/night.
Maureen

Dec 17th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Mariarosa

Many thanks to everyone for all the feedback! Do any of these places have tubs or are all the bathrooms with showers?

Dec 17th, 2001, 03:56 PM
bonnie

Here's an idea...try staying at a convent. Lots of them apparently take in paying guests and there's one listed in Florence close to the Duomo for 65.000 lire per person. Check out the following website: www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/ convents/shtml

Dec 28th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Kay

Although not mentioned by you, we found a great place in Florence in Duomo Square (10 seconds from the Duomo) for $ 65.00 US per night in early December. Small B and B, I think they have just 5 or 6 rooms, all modern facilities (no television though)and a great staff. We can't recommed them enough. www.soggiornobattistero.it

Dec 28th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Marty

Mariarosa: Have you tried the Hotel Aldini at via Calzaiuoli 13? It is a bout 1/2 block from the Duomo. The rooms are just as they look at www.pronet.it. The room was large with a good bathroom. Breakfast was included in the price.

Dec 28th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Leslie

Here's a second vote for B & B Soggiorno Battistero. They literally overlook the Piazza del Duomo. We were there in April. Kelly and her husband Lucca were very helpful and the rooms were fresh, clean and comfortable.

Breakfast is served in your room. True, no TVs, and it's third floor no elevator. But otherwise, liked it much.

Dec 30th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Mariarosa

Kay and Leslie, the Sogggiorno Battistero sounds perfect. Unfortunately, according to venere, they are booked for one of our nights.

Marty, I'll check out the Aldini.

Thank you all for your input.

Dec 30th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Ann

True Soggiorno Battistero is clean and friendly. Just a reminder it is 69 Steps to the entry of the B&B located on the 4th floor. No phones or TV - rustic for $85/night in October. Can't beat the location with your room facing the Baptistry, but it can be extremely noisy.