Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   inexpensive hotels in Brussles (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/inexpensive-hotels-in-brussles-748127/)

kittpom Nov 12th, 2007 09:04 AM

inexpensive hotels in Brussles

My husband and I are looking to go to Brussles Nov 21- 25 for thanksgiving weekend. I still have not booked plane tickets yet or hotel. Can you please help with hotels that are inexpensive for a long weekend.
thanks Sally

rkkwan Nov 12th, 2007 09:12 AM

My parents stayed at Hotel a la Grand Cloche last month and like it. It's #22 on Tripadvisor. Usually 90EUR including breakfast.

But don't overlook the bigger hotels. I just booked my cousins the Novotel off Grand Place for 115EUR for this coming weekend, breakfast included. #4 on Tripadvisor with a location that can't be any better.

Travelnut Nov 12th, 2007 09:17 AM

Many Brussels hotels (business class) have lower weekend rates. We have stayed twice at the Atlas Hotel - it's clean and about 3 blocks walk to Grand Place.
www.atlas-hotel.be/

travelgourmet Nov 12th, 2007 10:37 AM

Bid on Priceline. Bidding for a 4* should net you something for $50-$75 per night. You might be put into the Crowne Plaza Europa (as I have been twice) which isn't super central, but decent enough and literally over a metro stop.

Bring your appetite, Brussels is a great city for eating.

kittpom Nov 12th, 2007 12:59 PM

Wow all of these sound amazing. What kind of food to they have there? And do they speak french?

Ann1 Nov 12th, 2007 02:47 PM

http://www.hotelwelcome.com/ This is a fabulous hotel. It's a lot of fun and in very central.

Travelnut Nov 12th, 2007 02:48 PM

Why, they have Belgian food, of course! French and English is widely spoken, in my experience...

Some widely popular Belgian foods would be:
- beer, beer, beer
- chocolate
- mussels
- frites
- waterzooi

http://www.visitbelgium.com/food.htm

http://www.opt.be/contenus/tourisme/en/64.html

http://www.homebrewchef.com/Waterzooi.html

gruezi Nov 12th, 2007 02:55 PM

bookmarking for travelnuts websites... thank you!

Gaspard Nov 17th, 2007 08:13 AM

see hotelclub.be
G.

BTilke Nov 17th, 2007 12:03 PM

All the suggestions above will NOT help you on the 21st and 22nd of November this year...there are some major meetings going on and many hotels are either sold out or charging premium rates. The 23rd and 24th are much more open with choices in the ranges suggested above.
Barring cancellations (which can happen), you might want to consider splitting your stay...the 21st and 22nd outside of Brussels and then coming back in for the remaining two nights.
For example, you could stay at the Ibis Centrum in Bruges for 73 euros per night on Nov. 21/22 and then come back into Brussels for the 23rd and 24th.
Two hotels that are our consistent favorites...the Sofitel Toison d'Or on the Avenue de la Toison d'Or near the Louise metro stop...I've never paid more than 110€ per night for this excellent and attractive full service, four star hotel.
Nearby is the NH Stepanie on rue Jean Stas, another four star bargain with rooms available on the 23rd and 24th for 65€ standard and 75€ deluxe. Breakfast included. The hotel was recently renovated and it's very comfortable, although no AC, so I wouldn't recommend it for summer travel. It's just off a pedestrian street with restaurants, cafes, shops, etc.

Gaspard Nov 19th, 2007 08:37 AM

BTilke you are talking nonsense (major meetings: and so what).
There many hotelrooms free on 21/22. Just try hotelclub.be and you will see.
G

hetismij Nov 19th, 2007 12:06 PM

Hotel a la Grande Cloche is an OK hotel. Nothing special. I stayed there once, but my stay was spoiled by roadworks right outside which started at 6 every morning! But it is not available for the date you want. there are however plenty of other that are available according to booking.com.

BTilke Nov 19th, 2007 02:27 PM

Gaspard, I didn't say there were no rooms, I said the hotels were either full *OR* they were charging premium (rack) rates. All the hotels we usually recommend were booked or only had rooms at over 200€ per night. Perhaps you should read a post correctly before insulting the poster.

AND I went to the hotel web site you recommended. The list of hotels given as available is misleading. For example, on TEN of the hotels that came up as available, when I clicked on the book icon...guess what? They all came up as UNAVAILABLE for those dates. Others, like the Bristol, had rooms available at far higher rates than I'd normally find. Others are out of town...Genval and La Hulpe are NOT in Brussels itself...Genval is a good 20 to 30 minutes away from central Brussels by train. Some of the available "Brussels" hotels were airport hotels out in the burbs of Diegem or Zaventem.

As for booking.com, I looked there too...out of 139 hotels in their list there were only 18 in Brussels (city) with rooms on those dates..if you were willing to book immediately and wanted to pay premium rates. Examples: The Hilton Brussels City had ONE room left--for 300 euros a night. The Hilton Waterloo had rooms for 325 euros a night...why anyone would think of paying that much for the Hilton is beyond me. The Best Western Sodehotel has rooms for about 200 euros, if you don't mind a hotel located out in the Woluwes and that also has terrible reviews. The Stanhope had one room left--for 500+ euros a night. The Metropole had a few singles left--for 600 euros a night. And so on.

All of which supports what I originally posted...the hotels were booked OR were charging top rates.

BTilke Nov 19th, 2007 02:37 PM

Those rates were for the 21st and 22nd...on bookings.com, if you checked for the rates on the 23rd and 24th, of the same 139 hotels, there were rooms available at 107 hotels (instead of 18) and their rates were for the most part much more reasonable, in many cases half or less of what they were charging for the 21st and 22nd.

KathyNZ Dec 12th, 2007 11:25 PM

Personally I wouldn't want to go to Brussels again if my life depended on it. I had to stay overnight in november and thank goodness it was only overnight because of the train strike, and the hotels are grossly overpriced. Mine had the steepest narrow staircase I've ever seen for $245NZ for one night, an absolute rip off. They told me at the hotel there is a 43% bed tax, whether this is correct or not I don't know. But since being there in 2002, the city's gone to the pack, only the Grand Place beckoned me. I stayed a 20 minute walk from there and was told not to walk to the hotel with a bag but to take a taxi, in daylight it was not safe they said. However I did walk to the metro station next morning to Gare du Nord without any problem but I was sickened by the spitting in the streets, the streets are filthy and it turned me right off. Why do the authorities allow this kind of thing to continue, take a leaf out of Singapore and fine people (men nearly always) for this filthy habit?