Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive Hotels in Brittany and Normandy!!

May 17th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Michelle

I am travelling to this area of France during early June for a week. Where are the best places to visit and stay, which are good value and inexpensive.

May 17th, 2000, 02:29 PM
Rex

Definitely start by looking through the properties on www.logis-de-france.fr - - a great self-explanatory resource. Not generally set up for online booking, but I have had good experiences with proprties responding to faxed requests for information. In general, it is not necessary to WRITE in French to get a reply.

May 17th, 2000, 03:50 PM
Marcia

We used the Normandy tourist website. Stayed at a wonderful manor house outside Bayeux. There were lots of options and prices, from deluxe to renting a backroom in someone's farmhouse at very reasonable rates. We took the middle, and were charmed.

May 19th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Margo

This should help you for Mont St Michel:
Hotels within the walls
CROIX BLANCHE: Grande Rue. Tel: 0233601404. Fax: 0233485982. (9 rms., all w/toilet & shower.) 400F/61EUR single; 475-530F/72-81EUR (views) double; 660F/101EUR (views) triple; 670-940F/102-143EUR quad. Visa, MC, DC, AX. Breakfast (7-10:30am) at 60F pp can be served in the room. English spoken (Ana), cable TV w/CNN, charming hotel w/simply furnished rms., new bathrooms, #501 & 505 (both w/double beds & views of abbey) at 530F for a double; #505 & 509 (both w/double beds & magnificent views of the bay) at 530F for a double; #502 (view) at 660F for a triple & 670F for a family; #508 (duplex & view of bay) at 940F for a family; hair driers, bar, restaurant & terrace that looks out onto the bay, circular staircase, no elevator, 5 flrs. Half-board rates may be required in summer. The same family owns Hotels St. Pierre & Mouton Blanc. (Closed mid-Nov.-mid.Dec.)
http://www.HelloEurope.com
Hello France! A Hotel Guide To Paris & 25 other French Cities $50-$99 A Night For Two!

May 19th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Beth Anderson

Check out Colonel Chilcott's manor house (which may be the one Marcia is referring to). He is a retired British Lieutenant Colonel, and an avid historian. VERY interesting person, and his home is lovely. A nice little walk into town. 20 minutes or so from the landing beaches.

I do not have his number on me right now, but a quick yahoo search on Chilcott, Bayeux, B&b should do it. I guess I better start carrying his number with me, this is coming up a lot lately (could it be because we are nearing 6 June?)

Beth

Aug 27th, 2000, 10:25 AM
topper

For Kavey who is looking for hotels in Mont St. Michel.