Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   inexpensive (cheap!) wine in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/inexpensive-cheap-wine-in-london-923300/)

suec1 Feb 9th, 2012 06:44 AM

inexpensive (cheap!) wine in London

We are taking a cruise that departs from Southampton - we are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard. I have not been to London in years - I'm more a fan of Italy and have taken several crusies that departed from the port that Rome uses. In Rome I can purchase some, ahem, delightful wine in a box for about 2E - so far my impressinon of London is that it is much more expensive than Rome - how much can I expect to find some inexpensive wine for in that city?

bilboburgler Feb 9th, 2012 06:53 AM

Wine is taxed in UK.
Any middle of the road supermarket Tescos, Sainsbury's, Morrisons or Asda will have box wine expect to pay £8-10 ish

RM67 Feb 9th, 2012 07:17 AM

Wine in a box (in the UK) is generally not 'delightful'.

jamikins Feb 9th, 2012 07:51 AM

Agree, check out the Tescos, Waitrose, Sainsbury's, M&S, or Nicholas wine shops. I find wine very afforadable in London!

jamikins Feb 9th, 2012 07:52 AM

Although not in a box! Dont buy that in London! But you can get decent wine for about £5-10. I always buy the £10 - 12 bottles that are on sale 50%!

bilboburgler Feb 9th, 2012 07:54 AM

When they say you can only bring two bottles, do they mean magnums?

willit Feb 9th, 2012 07:59 AM

I know it's not what you meant, but I can assure you they sell wine in Southampton as well!

travelgourmet Feb 9th, 2012 08:01 AM

<i>Wine in a box (in the UK) is generally not 'delightful'.</i>

I seriously doubt that €2 wine in a box in Italy is, either.

suec1 Feb 9th, 2012 08:34 AM

thank you for your replies - yes I figured there was wine in Southampton but did not know how convenient it would be to where our ship is docked.

I'm a "two buck chuck" girl and have encountered few house wines thruout my travels in Italy that were not drinkkable.

walkinaround Feb 9th, 2012 09:33 AM

i am assuming that the limit is 2 bottles or the equivalent (1.5 l)- not two boxes or a box that, for example, equals three bottles.

the floor price of a mostly drinkable .75l bottle of wine in the uk has gone up over the last year or so but the lower limit is now about £4 to £4.50 per bottle as a conservative estimate. most of it will be drinkable (especially red).

on a side note (and with respect to the OP), i believe your question is simple - how much is a bottle of wine in London? talking about boxes of wine in italy confuses people and leads to the many irrelevant posts you see here.

willit Feb 9th, 2012 09:36 AM

How convenient to where you are docked is a fair question, and really depends on how you were getting from London to Southampton.

If by taxi/car you might ask the driver to pop into the Tesco at junction 9 of the M3 at Winchester. Literally just off the motorway. You are almost certainly correct in finding it easier to buy in London

As far as wine in Italy is concerned, I have bought some superb stuff at Vini Sfuzi shops in Lucca and Siena for < €2 for a litre. Admittedly it is hit and miss, but I have never bought anything undrinkable.

RM67 Feb 9th, 2012 09:40 AM

My tip for a cheap but drinkable wine is an Italian red like Valpolicella.

willit Feb 9th, 2012 09:52 AM

walkinaround is quite correct, we have muddied the waters with discussions of Italian wines.

So in summary about half of the price of a "cheap" wine is tax in the UK which is why it is so expensive. You should be able to get perfectly drinkable stuff for £5 a bottle

avalon Feb 9th, 2012 10:27 AM

The docks are not convenient for any kind of shopping. We found the wine on the Queen Mary 2 to be priced from quite reasonable ( $10.00 a bottle to very expensive. I think if you take your own bottle to the dining room they charge corkage, so buying on board might come out to ner the same.