Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Inexpensive but good places to eat in Dublin and London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/inexpensive-but-good-places-to-eat-in-dublin-and-london-453459/)

japw82 Jun 26th, 2004 12:09 PM

Inexpensive but good places to eat in Dublin and London

Having read that expenses will be quite a bit higher in Europe than in the U.S., does anyone out there have dining recommendation in Dublin and London that won't send me to the poor house?

PLJ Jun 27th, 2004 10:18 AM

Hi japw82, what price range for meals do you have in mind?

japw82 Jun 27th, 2004 12:54 PM

$-$$ dollar signs. Preferably closer to one $. Thanks for any info!!

ben_haines_london Jun 27th, 2004 12:58 PM

I have on disc notes on cheap meals in pubs and elsewhere in London, and shall glasdly e mail them to you if you ask me to. Welcome to London

[email protected]

GJ40 Jun 27th, 2004 03:44 PM

Try Leo Burdock's for fish & chips in Dublin and the Churchill Arms in London for Thai food (we usually eat here 3-4 times per visit). They're two of my worldwide favorites. And they both meet my criteria: cheap but outstanding.

GJ40

mikemo Jun 27th, 2004 03:53 PM

NO!
The USD is worth lots less now.
We are going on 7 July to the UK for my son's wedding at Hambleton Inn, staying in London 2 nights and going to NW Portugal and Galecia, Esp after - the most expensive trip to Europe in several decades.
M

rj007 Jun 27th, 2004 04:25 PM

There are plenty of places to get an inexpensive meal in London. As Ben Haines mentioned pubs are a good place to eat. There are sandwich shops, pizza places where you can get all-you-can-eat, Indian and Thai restaurants. You can go to grocery stores to put a meal together. I keep my daily food costs to less than 10 GBP a day. My trips to London cost less now than they did 2 years ago thanks to staying in a B&B in the suburbs rather than stay in Central London. I don't consider London expensive. Now that I have reduced costs I go to London more frequently.

cailin Jun 28th, 2004 12:30 AM

In Dublin try Cafe Bar Deli on Georges Street - lovely pizzas and very reasonably priced. There are lots of little restaurants in & around Grafton Street/Wicklow Street/Georges Street that aren't too expensive.
Odessa on Dame Court is lovely too.
Pasta Fresca on Chatham Street is a popular place for pasta and it's also very reasonable. On the northside of the river try 101 Talbot on Talbot Street. The food is fantastic & the restaurant is a good choice if you're going to the Abbey Theatre.

SiobhanP Jun 28th, 2004 06:24 AM

For lunch in a cafe style place try Kilkenny shop on Nassau street - soups, sandwiches and quicxhes/salads.

Also 2 good places in St Stepehns green shopping centre top floor is the Dome Restaurant, soups, hot food and salads and a great view of the Green.

2nd floor (1st in the USA) is a new food court that has burgers, carvery, pannini and a juice bar. It was excellent when I went the other day.

Acapuloco on Georges Street is Tex mex and nice as well as Cafe/Bar/deli just up the street.

mclaurie Jun 28th, 2004 06:41 AM

BTW, Siohban's list is in Dublin :)

In London, ASK is a chain of Italian rest. with good thin crust pizza, pasta etc. Pizza Express is another. These places are much better than a US chain.

Bellgo Central (sp?) has a few locations. They're known for mussels and frites and have an evening special where they charge the time (ie 5GBP at 5 pm etc.)

japw82 Jun 28th, 2004 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying as many food establishments as time permits!!

ilovetulips Jun 28th, 2004 03:13 PM

I haven't been to Ireland but I just saw an article called "Eating like a local in Dublin" on msnbc.com Go down to the travel section and it is the first article on the page.