Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Inexpensive B&Bs in London near Paddington (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/inexpensive-b-and-bs-in-london-near-paddington-280297/)

Jon Dec 18th, 2002 08:59 AM

Inexpensive B&Bs in London near Paddington

Hey, wondering if someone could recommend some inexpensive B&Bs (b/c hotels I think will be more expensive) within walking distance to Paddington Station. I'll be in London around the middle of January. Also, I'll be with my brother so we'd like to try to get a twin bedroom, preferably with ensuite. We're really not looking to spend more than $40 (US dollars) each per night. I'd appreciate any suggestions along with phone numbers and/or websites if you have them. Thanks everyone!

Jon Dec 18th, 2002 09:12 AM

Actually, I think Victoria Station vicinity will work as well. We're using BritRail passes for daytrips. Thanks again.

k Dec 18th, 2002 09:20 AM

I don't have a specific recommendation, but if you want to search, you can try www.smoothhound.co.uk. Most of the more reasonable B&amp;Bs seem to be in the Euston St area. <BR><BR>I would probably rethink the need to be within walking distance of Paddington. What's the reason for that? You can take the tube to a different area very easily, unless you have a specific reason for wanting to be in that area.

tom Dec 18th, 2002 09:25 AM

I would suggest using the text search box for &quot;paddington hotel&quot;. There are lots of small hotels/B&amp;B in the area. Last year we stayed at Hotel Niki, which would be in your price range. It was adequate (and in the price range), but I think you could do better. The main value point to the Niki is that it is one of the lowest-cost places with an elevator. Breakfast was pretty weak; I'd only stay there again if we had the same combination of elderly companions (elevator) and low budget. If you don't mind stairs, I'd try some of the nearby places on (I think) Suffolk Square, there were about 20 of them (search in fodors should turn up some recomendations). At a slightly higher price range, Quality Hotel Paddington looked fairly nice. <BR><BR>There are several discount hotel sites; just put &quot;discount hotel london&quot; into any internet search engine.

Victoria Dec 18th, 2002 09:35 AM

Jon,<BR><BR>I would stay in the Victoria region over Paddington. Nicer area with large selection of hotels/B&amp;Bs. If you do a search here on &quot;inexpensive B&amp;Bs near Victoria&quot; you'll find a lot of information. One place that gets mentioned here alot is the Georgian House Hotel. I've never stayed there but when I did a search on it, there were a lot of opinions on it and others in the vicinity.

bettyk Dec 18th, 2002 10:06 AM

Jon, I did a search for mid-January on www.londontown.com under small hotels/budget/twin/en suite and came up with several possibilities:<BR><BR>1) Hyde Park Radnor Hotel at 60 pounds<BR>2) London Town Hotel in Earls Court at 42 pounds<BR><BR>Also, on www.lastminute.com, I found the 3* Bonnington with a twin room and hot breakfast for 50 to 60 pound, and the Bayswater Inn at 40 pounds with continental breakfast. I'm sure there are others.<BR><BR>Good luck!

fred Dec 18th, 2002 11:25 AM

You could do a google search with &quot;norfolk square&quot; and london and hotel and find quite a few. Norfolk square is lined with B&amp;Bs just 2 minutes from Paddington. We stayed at the Falcon - it wasn't bad but there are others I'm sure are better. Heard a couple of good things about the Cardiff Hotel there. I don't think you'll find ensuite for $40.00 but a friend just went over and found some good deals for this time of year right in that area.

bettyk Dec 18th, 2002 11:38 AM

Jon, in case my post was confusing, the prices listed are per room, NOT per person so they do fit in your price range of around $80 per night.

Doug Dec 21st, 2002 06:21 AM

I just stayed at the Balmoral House Hotel which is about 3 blocks from Paddington. I paid 40 Pounds for a Single including tax &amp; full breakfast. Rooms are small, but that's to be expected for such a low price. Hotel has 5 floors; no elevator. My only true criticism is breakfast was only served 7:00-8:30 AM.

S Dec 21st, 2002 11:50 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>

s Dec 21st, 2002 11:56 AM

Oops. Let me try this again. I stayed in the Paddington area last month and there are a number of inexpensive hotels a block away. I booked a single en suite room through discountcityhotels.com and got a rate of 39 pounds at the Warwick Hotel. Can't really recommend this particular hotel -- it was noisy, the front desk people were pleasant enough but could offer no assistance, and although the web site mentioned an elevator, there was none. Bottom line: I would certainly use that website again, but wouldn't opt for that hotel. The real plus for that area: the firefighters staged a strike and I had to get to Heathrow (I usually take the tube), so I took the express train from Paddington Station to the airport (it took about 15 minutes).

Paul Dec 23rd, 2002 08:27 AM

I stayed at the Quality Hotel Paddington. Small hotel, nice with a friendly and helpful staff, good continential breakfast, very convenient location to tube. I would stay there again.