Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive B&Bs / Hotels - Rhine, Mosel & Rothenburg

Jul 16th, 2002, 12:32 PM
traveler

Hi all,

Trying to plan a trip to Germany this August (yes, this August!) and we are on a very tight budget. Looking at 3 locations - 3 nights on the Rhine (preferably Bacharach / St. Goar areas), 2 nights in Rothenburg, and 3 nights on the Mosel (looking at Zell area). Trying to keep the accommodation budget to approximately 50 euros per night for a two in a double room with breakfast ... I'm not sure if this is realistic or not ... I would appreciate any suggestions for nice B&Bs (or hotels) in these areas in that price range. Thanks in advance!

Jul 16th, 2002, 12:33 PM
traveler

Sorry, actually make that "this August and September" ... will be able to travel the last few days of August and first week or so of September.

Jul 16th, 2002, 12:55 PM
ellen

I enjoyed the Hotel Landsknecht in St. Goar last year. According to their website, doubles start at 65 euros. Not 50, but still reasonable.

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:59 AM
ttt

ttt

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:00 AM
xxx

Check out http://www.bavariaben.com/

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Alexander Frumin

Try this site:
www.loreleytal.com

Jul 17th, 2002, 12:41 PM
s

try an internet search on "gasthof post". its a real bargain in rothenburg that we found by driving up to it; quirky and very franconian inside, real value for money, and our room had a balcony also. I think it was around 60e per night for a double.

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Greg

Trav,

We stayed at the Hotel Kramentrum in Bacharach. It is very reasonable, has good food and is very popular. It is right next to the RR track, but we never had a problem with noise. Have a good trip.

Greg

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Nancy

The Hotel Kramenturm in Bacharach is a wonderful hotel. We stayed a tower room & did hear the train ~ all night ~ but they give you ear plugs! ;o) My sister used the ear plugs & the train didn't phase her, I didn't use them & the train didn't really bother me either. Say hello to Fatima for me!

http://www.loreleytal.com/bacharach/...rm/english.htm

Jul 17th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Russ

There are many B&B's at around $35-$40/night in towns along the Rhine, most run by elderly couples whose kids have moved on. In March, we stayed in the wine town of Oberwesel for 40 Euros double at a private B&B - 4 small but comfortable rooms and a large breakfast room w/ picture window overlooking the town and the castle. The breakfast was one of the best we had.

Here's the proprietress:

Brager Irene
Hardtweg 7
55430 Oberwesel
Tel. 06744/532

The easiest way (especially if you don't speak German) to stay economically in Germany is to contact the local tourist office and have them book you a B&B at a place like the Bragers' (who, like many small-town innkeepers, are not fluent in English.) The Oberwesel tourist office tel. number is 06744/1521.

Jul 17th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Russ

I neglected to mention that Oberwesel lies between St. Goar and Bacharach, and that unlike the Kranenturm, Bragers' place lies well-removed from the tracks; expect to pay about 50% more for places like the Kranenturm (and to rub elbows with the many Rick Steves groupies who frequent the place.)

Also, you'd do well on the Mosel by staying with Frau Hilken in Cochem. Her place is near the main square and close to the path up to the castle, and she includes a big, healthy breakfast as well; contact the tourist office there to book. Try 02671/6004-22,

or e-mail (phoning will probably be more successful):

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

Jul 17th, 2002, 02:34 PM
annemarie

For Rothenburg we stayed in Detwang, a small town outside of Rothenburg..gosh, I can't remember the inn...think it was something like ...schwarzes Lamm...but it was the only real inn in that town...good dining too with a patio out front.

Jul 17th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Betsy

Here's where my husband and I stayed in the summer of 2000. Efficient but not overly-friendly. They put us in one of their apartments across the pedestrian walkway. We were on the European fifth floor, up 75 steps with no lift (better to walk off all those German calories). The apartment was huge, airy and overlooked the Rhein, which, because it is a working river 24/7 was fascinating. We could see two castles (both lit at night) from the apartment, one out the front and the other out the bathroom window.

Zur Loreley
Heerstr, 87
St. Goar on Rhein
56329 Germany
From US: 011 49 6741 1614
www.hotel-zur-loreley.de