Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

independant cycling in Austria- Anyone done this?

Mar 1st, 2007, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone any advice on independent cycling trip to Austria. We would like to see Austria in the summer months (probably May/June) without snow and don't know where to start with planning a trip that is mostly down hill cycling as we are not fir enought to go up hill too much!! Things like can you book as you go or does all accomodation need to be booked in advance etc would be very usefull. we will be hiring bikes.
Thanks Hilary
Mar 1st, 2007, 03:46 AM

How about following a river - the Inn and Donau valley, for example?
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

I have read quite alot on the danube trail on this site but most people seem to be on prebooked accomodation. I am trying to find how easy it is to 'go as you please'in case we want to spend more or less time in places.
Sorry to be thick, is the Inn and Donau different to Danube? (Geography not my strong point)
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:46 AM

Bicycling along the bike paths of the Danube, in the Wachau Valley is great. Smooth, mostly flat bike paths wind past vinyards, old churchs, beer gardens and tiny villages. We stayed overnight at a b&b/winery in Weisenkirchen and walked down to the local ferry and rented bikes there. No hassle, no reservation.
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:38 AM

Danube cycling is good. We did it a few years (5) ago and just booked the first night near the airport and found roooms as we went along. Some parts of Austria have little accomodation and when we cycled in from Hungary south of the Neuziedlesee (sorry spelling) we struggled to find a roof as there are no hotels down there.

There is a great little book which explains all this published by a danish company (in english) just Surf and it will find you roughly 4" x 7" and blue
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM

Hello; Great cycling is to be had along the Danube! Visit our site for our first trip in 2001:
http://austria.starkeconcepts.com/
If you need any help or questions feel free to email me through our site. Glad to help!
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM

Hilary,

One way to go about this is to look at the itineraries of the group trips---see what route they follow, where they stay, how the describe the scenery, etc. This will give you a feel for things. If a particular itinerary sounds appealing, you can start planning a similar one using websites and guidebooks to fill in the details. And Operaman has generously offered to help with planning a Danube trip.

One thing to check---parts of the Danube trail were washed out by the flooding in 2002, and maybe again in 2005. So you want to be sure your route information is current.

I planned my first hiking trip to Austria/Dolomites this way---started with an itinerary offered by a tour operator, did the research, made modifications, and ended up with a perfect independent trip tor two. The web was my main resource. The Austria tourist bureau is likely to be a good information source as well.

Try googling "Austria cycling" and I'll bet you get lots to start with.
Mar 1st, 2007, 04:00 PM

We've been checking out this site.

http://www.eurobike.at/

Price are really reasonable for self-guided biking in Austria. I'm guessing this is the same sort of arrangement we did last summer in Germany. All arranggements were made through the local tourist office rather than a biking firm. The hotels would drive our luggage to the next hotel. It was a great way to travel. Check this site out for ideas.
Mar 1st, 2007, 04:57 PM

Julies---what a great website! Thank you for posting it.

Put in "river trails" and "Austria" and ten possibilities pop up. The "Mur" trail looks great---we might consider that ourselves.
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM

enzian;
Here is the site for the best bike map and guide books for Austria:
http://www.esterbauer.com/
You'll find one on Mur, though it is in German it is still relatively easy to follow.
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM

Operaman,

Ausgezeichent! No problem, I can read German. Thank you for the link--I'm off to order some books. I wonder if they include mountain biking?
Mar 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM

enzian;
Selbstverständlich haben sie.
Mar 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM

Oops! Forgot to say that they are out of Klagenfurt (I think) in the south of Austria. They used to have a rep in Santa Barbera...a book or map shop. But you can order direct. They sent me their catalog plus a bike guide for Tuscany (in English) for free. You can also get them from Pedalpower in Vienna where we rented bikes for our trip. Rick at Pedalpower is an ex-pat American and has plenty of info about many of these rides in Austria. You can go to his site through my links page or just Google it.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:49 AM

You may know and have your heart set on Austria but 2 other ideas

The german railway will rent you a sit up and beg bike from major stations so relatively easy to plan short or long breaks.

Alternativley it is fun to ride around lake constance(german/swiss border). It took us 5 days and very bike orientated
Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM

http://homes.tiscover.com/project/ra...epage...2.html

www.radtouren.at/alias/radtouren/en

www.radwandern.com/

www.ecf.com/273_1

are some websites that i have looked at.

I always used to just find a place every day. The only problem with that is when you get to a place where everything seems booked and you have to cycle a few miles to find somewhere.

You might consider staying in a place for a few days, doiing day trips from there and then either cycling or taking the train to the next location
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the help and suggestions, will probably go with the Danube route although Lake Constance also looks good. Will get back with more queries once we have decided for sure.
hilary
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM

The bike trip along the danube River ( Donau in german) in the area Passau- Wachau- Vienna is one of the nicest bike trips in Europe in my opinion.
Well marked and paved pathways insure a good trip mostly without and vehicle traffic.
A prior poster mentions possible flood damage- any to the path was fixed immediately after the flooding. Today you would not be aware of any flooding anywhere.

The only period when the pathways are busy are usually July and August.
Many , many hotels and pensions along the way - no need to prebook in may June.
many just cycle as much or as little as they wish and then just find a place to stay.
Easy to find food and wine along the route.
I live very close to this system along the danube- walk there regularly- mostly very nice people traveling , many families too. Feel tired - just board the train with your bike to go as far as you wish.

Mar 8th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Forgot to add - look to Operaman for good advice- he makes this trip!

Hello Operaman!
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Hello molker!
Good to see you back posting! How are things along the Donau? I will write you very soon...one of the 'guys', the littlest, is sick and we have been much concerned. Best to you and hope the Spring brings excellent wine.