Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Incredible Skye on you tube (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/incredible-skye-on-you-tube-867338/)

JeremyinFrance Nov 20th, 2010 10:20 PM

Incredible Skye on you tube

Many adults want to visit Scotland in particular, the ISle of Skye, but if you have teenagers with you, it might not be easy to get them excited about this. Show them this short film on you tube and it could well change their minds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw Stunning scenery, lovely music - and a man on a bike doing things that will take your breath away.

Sidny Nov 22nd, 2010 10:05 AM

Thanks for sharing! Impressive bike-riding AND camera work.

Bazonia Nov 22nd, 2010 12:08 PM

Great!

historytraveler Nov 22nd, 2010 12:54 PM

That was fun!

thefengs Nov 22nd, 2010 05:16 PM

Love the video, artistic and fun. I went to Skye in October with my husband. The only regret was that my two teenagers were not with us. The intense beauty of the island is beyond words. When we showed the pics to our children, no convincing is needed. They can not wait to go next time! Skye is spectacular.

bookchick Nov 22nd, 2010 05:24 PM

Thanks to Sheila Ritchie, I went to Skye in January a few years ago. Wonderful weather, and few other tourists. Very nice scenery indeed, and wonderful, friendly people. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to see such a lovely place.

BC

sheila Nov 23rd, 2010 12:43 AM

Oh, wow!

PatrickLondon Nov 23rd, 2010 07:53 AM

I'd no idea there were still so many disused gun emplacements and other defence works around.

mr_go Nov 23rd, 2010 08:05 AM

Our teen was a 'tween when we visited there, and we all had a blast! One of our favorite destinations, ever. And like bookie said, the people we met could not have been nicer.

mr_go Nov 23rd, 2010 08:14 AM

Oh, and it goes without saying, but that guy can really ride. Great piece of video!

yanumpty Nov 23rd, 2010 09:04 AM

I hate to be a stick in the mud but this little twerp is "doing his thing" on some of our national heritage. Considering the English never conquered us, would hate to think our castles are being demolished by "young people".

Stilldontknow Nov 23rd, 2010 02:06 PM

Dont talk pish yanumpty. What bit of our heritage does it look like he's destroying?

sheila Nov 23rd, 2010 11:16 PM

Patrick, the gum emplacements are, I think, on Inchmickery in the Forth. The tank traps on Skye I don't know about.

Anyone know what dam that is?

Stilldontknow Nov 23rd, 2010 11:35 PM

"Anyone know what dam that is?!

Not sure. Thought it might be Cruachan but it doesn't look right for that.

yanumpty Nov 24th, 2010 08:41 AM

"Dont talk pish yanumpty. What bit of our heritage does it look like he's destroying"

Correct me if I'm wrong but Edinburgh Castle wasn't built by Barratt Homes in 1996.

One twerp becomes 50 twerps which becomes a problem. I have lost count of the number of mountaining biking twerps that use there right to roam and carve up our countryside.

If you hadn't noticed mountain biking is not my most liked weekend activity.

Stilldontknow Nov 24th, 2010 09:43 AM

One twerp who got permission from the powers that be to film there doing exactly what he's doing. Sure he wouldn't have got permission to do that at our most famous building if, for a second, they thought it would damage it in anyway. Please! Use a brain cell. And if you don't like right to roam write a letter. Bollocks to people who want the countryside for their activity but to restrict other peoples. Of course if we were turning some lovely bay into a marina you'd have no problem.

alihutch Nov 24th, 2010 10:54 AM

He's a professional twerp...sponsored by a number of companies including Red Bull...

http://www.dannymacaskill.co.uk

Just great camera work and editing

yanumpty Nov 24th, 2010 11:07 AM

The main problem with the economic empowerment that has happened over the last 100 years is the inability of the masses to cope with a little bit of wealth. Too many twerps with too much money and, as you put it, not enough brain cells.

Nothing wrong with right to roam, just how you use that right.

Try walking Galloway forest or The 7Stanes on any given Sunday and you are more then likely going to have your Springer Spaniel demolished by a twerp on one of those things. Probably one of the same twerps that chooses to bomb up and down the Urr estuary on a jetski whilst the rest of us are trying to enjoy a quiet pint at The Anchor.

"Of course if we were turning some lovely bay into a marina you'd have no problem"

I could be wrong and outvoted on this one but I would say that 98% of the non-twerp population would say that a marina of say 100 yachts actually adds to the view. Can't imagine the Clyde without Inverkip or Largs or the sight of 40 WM Fifes cruising....

but hang on a minute don't the twerps go to Ikea and buy pictures of Fifers cruising down the Clyde by the million.

Even twerps can learn to have taste.

Stilldontknow Nov 25th, 2010 02:16 AM

"The main problem with the economic empowerment that has happened over the last 100 years is the inability of the masses to cope with a little bit of wealth. Too many twerps with too much money and, as you put it, not enough brain cells."

Catch your self on. Where do you dredge this twattery up from? Sounds like some 18th century lord bemoaning the rise of the noveau rich mill owners. What next? A couple of paragraphs bemoaning the passing of droite de seigneur?

"I could be wrong and outvoted on this one but I would say that 98% of the non-twerp population would say that a marina of say 100 yachts actually adds to the view. Can't imagine the Clyde without Inverkip or Largs or the sight of 40 WM Fifes cruising...."

Just reeks of my preferences good yours bad. I have no problem with yachts or marinas, although your presumption that most people believe it adds to the beauty of any natural vista is just that. The whiff of snobbery is definitely in the air.

"Even twerps can learn to have taste."

Of course twerp equals amyone who doesn't have your taste.