Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Incorrect last name (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/incorrect-last-name-1084656/)

gaetana671 Jan 25th, 2016 02:23 PM

Incorrect last name

Last year I visited the Italian consulate in NYC to renew my Italian passport by appointment.
Today I was about to book a trip for Italy and I noticed my passport shows my maiden name and not my married name.
My signature on the passport is signed as my first name, maiden name and married name
My old passport showed my married name which I no longer have
My green card shows my married name.
I have lived in New York since 1976 with my married name

What needs to be done on my end to have this fixed to my married name so I can book my ticket to Italy?

bvlenci Jan 25th, 2016 02:41 PM

Probably they misunderstood about your married name, since in Italy your legal name remains your birth name after you marry. However, when you fly, your plane tickets need to match your passport, and, if you're a US citizen as well as an Italian citizen, you're required to use your US passport when entering the US. (I'm a dual citizen, but I never officially used my married name, so both my passports have my birth name.)

MmePerdu Jan 25th, 2016 02:53 PM

I'd say your Italian passport and your green card should match, especially since it sounds as if your preference is to use your maiden name now ("my married name which I no longer have"). If you prefer using your maiden name in future, call the office closest to you that issues green cards and see if you can get an updated one with just your maiden name. Failing that, back to the consulate.

janisj Jan 25th, 2016 02:57 PM

>>it sounds as if your preference is to use your maiden name now ("my married name which I no longer have").<<

Actually I <i>think</i> gaetana671 meant that she no longer has the old <i>passport</i>, not that she no longer uses her married name.

gaetana671 Jan 25th, 2016 04:11 PM

Thanks all for responding.
I'm not an American citizen
When I moved here to the US I came under my married name.
My green card was always under my married name as was my old passport.
Not sure why the consulate has my Madien name on my current passport.
Should I contact them because I need to book my flight to Italy soon.

MmePerdu Jan 25th, 2016 04:14 PM

"Should I contact them..."

Yes.

bvlenci Jan 26th, 2016 01:37 AM

Yes, you need to get it corrected.

(Sorry, I missed the mention of the green card.)

Maybe it wasn't the case when you first came to the US, but for a long time now in Italy, a woman doesn't change her name when she marries. For the Italian state, you always are who you were at birth, unless you go to court to change your name. I'm sure that's what confused the Italian consulate. However, your name definitely needs to match the name on your green card.

If you have anything to show that your legal name was your married name when you were last in Italy, that might help to move things along. You can say that they just made a mistake.

edwardphelan Jan 26th, 2016 01:42 AM

If I was you I would contact the consulate ASAP!

nochblad Jan 26th, 2016 03:50 AM

A lesson for all.

When you receive a renewed identity document or similar from any authority, check it straight away!

gaetana671 Jan 27th, 2016 07:46 AM

According to the consulate, It turns out my Italian passport already shows my married name on page 4.

MmePerdu Jan 27th, 2016 08:10 AM

Hurray! Have a great trip!

nochblad Jan 27th, 2016 08:31 AM

According to the consulate, It turns out my Italian passport already shows my married name on page 4 -

Perhaps you should have a good look at all the other pages. You may find other surprises!

gaetana671 Jan 27th, 2016 09:49 AM

Thank you mmeperdu