Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In your opinion, what is the BEST beach in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 05:07 AM
Ang

I am planning a 10-12 day trip for early June 2003 and was wondering what everyone's opinion was. I have been to Greece the past 2 years so exclude that.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:43 AM
X

someone must be able to answer this

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:46 AM
x

Cap d'Agde. My entire family loves it, especially the teen twins (and yes they are noticable on the beach!!).

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:51 AM
debbie

West and South of Turkey....<BR>1/Oludeniz/Fethiye<BR>2/Dalyan<BR>3/marmaris<BR>4/cesme<BR>5/kusadasi<BR>6/kas-kalkan(no beach but sea is beautiful)<BR>7/side<BR>8/kemer<BR>9/bodrum<BR><BR>June or Septembre is the best time to go there

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:20 AM
Diane Mac

Ang,<BR>What is your favorite beach/island in Greece. We hope to go there Sept 2003.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Diane

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:31 AM
genny

I think a fun change of pace for you would be the French Riviera, and this early it won't be too crowded. The water is gorgeous, people watching, food, etc. Many beaches to choose from and gorgeous hotels also. If you have been to Greece you have already done the rustic route, this time try the sophisticated.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:41 AM
Ang

My favorite island is Santorini for the scenery. The beaches were ok, mostly rocky ones but beautiful water. Mykonos had the biggest and widest strtches of sand. Depending on where you go though it can be quite the "scene." There are quiet areas though, I'm sure in Sept. you could find them. A month ago I was staying in Corfu and we took a day trip to Paxos, and we drove by antipaxos. Antipaxos is a tiny island that has beautiful beaches only accessible by boat. It looked gourgeous. In Corfu, Agios Georgios beach was amazing. I was there at the worst time, mid-August, but I would think in September it would be great. Corfu was extremely developed though, especially where we were. The further south you stay the more developed it was. From Corfu we took a day trip to Albania, which was amazing. Then we took a 24 hour boat to Venice. Corfu for me somewhat lacked the magic of Santorini & Mykonos, but I would stay there again because of the proximity to Albania. Also if you want to do Greece/Italy it is a good place to be based. My next trip I would probably go to Cephallonia (sp.?) and Zakynthos in the Ionian island group. Looks very scenic with good beaches.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:11 AM
ca

Liked The Algarve in southern Portugal. We stayed in Lagos.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:42 PM

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:59 PM
Zoe

I have been to the beaches of Greece, Spain and the french Riviera but my favorite were the ones in southern Turkey. I was there last June and it was so amazing to just lay down and relax.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:01 PM
flop

Hey Jenny! Rustic is your head! Psonara!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:01 PM
Jim

Enjoyed the beach in Calvi, Corsica.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:20 PM
Lillie Harty

On a beautiful August day my favorite beach would be Banna in the south-west of Ireland.Part of the film "Ryan`s Daughter" was made there.Not too hot,water a bit cool but you get used to it after a few minutes.View is magic.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:32 PM
Diane

Ang, <BR> It depends what is BEST for you? If it is the crowds everywhere and the lack of privacy hed for southern france or spain but if you want to just chill out in a beach and relax then go to turkey.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:33 PM
sandra

I have to second the Fench Riviera, early June is after the Film Festival and the Grand PRix and before school vacations start. We were there in June and loved it. Also the great hotels offer special low rates.<BR> We stayed in a 5star hotel with breakfast for about 170 USD a night for a twin room. This was on the Blvd Crisette in Canne sbeach and Pool. The MAjestic has great rates.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:21 AM
JJ

I agree with CA - The beaches in the Algarve in Portugal has by far some of the cleanist and largest beaches in Europe

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:04 AM
xxx

the beaches in the Algarve might be clean and big but they are full of tourists and tour trap hotels and restaurants. It's a nice place to spend a few days but if you only have one beach vacation to take this/next year - I'd opt for Greece or Turkey.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
xxx

the beaches in the Algarve might be clean and big but they are full of tourists and tour trap hotels and restaurants. It's a nice place to spend a few days but if you only have one beach vacation to take this/next year - I'd opt for Greece or Turkey.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:31 AM
sally

The beaches in Northern Germany are really nice. Especially the island of Sylt. It is known as the St. Tropez of the North.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:33 AM
kelda

Thest best beaches in Europe are by far in Turkey. The worst are the ones in the french reviera, spain and portugal because they are so crowded and you feel like you will get stepped on. If it is privacy that you long for you can also got to the middle east.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -