Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Sorrento, does it matter if you stay high up on the cliff?

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Chris

My problem is there are several hotels I am thinking staying at: Hotel Bristol in Sorrento and there is one higher up, The Amanti. My question is when it comes to walking to town will I be challenged with a steep walk back everytime at the higher hotels? I have never been there and I need input on this. Also, anyone ever stayed at these hotels or Villa Franca in Positano?
Thanks,
Chris

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Geoff

You definitely want to be careful of which hotel if you are concerned about the walk up. Some hotels go way beyond what would be considered "step", for example one of the Bristol's other "sister" hotels the President is beyond anything you would walk. On the other hand, the views can be great and these places generally have shuttle buses. Each hotel is different, and unless they are completely at the main level of Sorrento (directly above the marina) then you've got to look into what they offer. (public transport is good in the area as well)

I haven't heard of the Amanti, but know you will be quite pleased with the Bristol or any of the four in that group. I forget whether it is the Bristol or Minerva that is right on the bottom where the road curves up. It is on the edge of town so there is some walking to get there, but it is not high enough for a problem based on how far up.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 12:28 PM
doc

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Bristol when we were in Sorrento back in 1994 and were quite satisfied with the place. We especially liked the dining room which had a wall of windows overlooking the bay and the opposite wall was all mirrors, so the view was great from any location. Our room was on the fifth floor and we had an unimpeded view of Mt. Vesuvius. We had no problem with the walk into town and back up the hill. Be sure to have lunch at one of the outdoor cafe/bars in the Piazza Tasso and finish it off with a cappuccino -- probably the best we've had anywhere. Happy traveling.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Patsy

Hotel Villa Franca is wonderful, we had a room in the annex and had views of the city and the sea. It is better to see the city lights at night as the sea is just black. It is one of my favorite places to stay.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 07:52 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Chris HAVE NOT stayed
at either of these hotels. The BRISTOL
is on the via Capo, 14 which is on the
west side of Sorrento and about 900 m
from the Pza Tasso (town center). the
Hotel AMANTI, may be the HOTEL AMINTA
, via Nastro Verde, 83. The is a winding street further west of the Capo
assuming further up the side of the hill.
Would think the Bristol would be your
best bet.. Richard of LaGrange Park,m Il

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Joanna

I stayed at the Vittoria Excelsior in Sorrento in 1996 and recall it had a lift down to go up and down the cliff. You might want to check and see if either the Bristol or Amanti has a similar facility.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 08:23 PM
grasshopper

I bet you are talking about the Aminta, one of my all time favorite hotels. They have a website at www.aminta.it It has the most fabulous views. The walk to town is fine. We walked back a couple of times but it's a trek. However, there is a great shuttle so you never have to walk.