Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > In search of wonderful day trip from Vienna

In search of wonderful day trip from Vienna

Feb 20th, 2002, 09:03 PM
David

In search of wonderful day trip from Vienna

Hello anew!
I'm wondering what are people's thoughts about a day trip we can take into the surrounds of Vienna. We will be there next week for the beginning of March and would like some ideas for a day trip. I want to get a sense of the Austrian terrain with as little tourists as possible. I am also interested in very old archeticture and tools. Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

Feb 21st, 2002, 01:47 AM
btilke

Graz!! It's an elegant city in Styria, one of the less-visited parts of Austria, but also one of its most beautiful. A 2.5 hour train ride from Vienna--it's a long day trip, but definitely doable as there about 10 trains a day from Vienna and back.
Sights: The Graz tourist offices will give you a free town map, brochures, suggestions. When you get off the train walk down Keppler or Annen strasse to get into the historic center (on the other side of the Mur river). Graz has a medieval fortress, an excellent museum, the Landesmuseum Joanneum (www.museum-johanneum.at). Walk to Sackstrasse, one of the prettiest streets in town. Or take tram #1 to Schloss Eggenberg, which has 3 museums, including one on pre-history and early history. But check to make sure the day you plan to visit is a day the museums etc. will be open.
Too bad you only have one day, as Styria has some beautiful small towns that see few tourists. But you definitely need a car for those.
BTilke
P.S. There will be a medical convention in Vienna the first week of March (are you going to be there for that?). About 30,000 people attending.

Search this Thread