Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > In Rome - Trastevere or Navona for a 1st Time Visitor?

In Rome - Trastevere or Navona for a 1st Time Visitor?

Jun 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

In Rome - Trastevere or Navona for a 1st Time Visitor?

Hello,

I did a lot of searching on the forums and I got a ton of good information! I'm planning on taking a trip in September and I narrowed it down to staying at one of two places. The first is the Hotel Teatropace 33 in Navona. The second is an apartment in Trastevere (looks like only a couple blocks away from the Isola Tiberina). I can't decide on where I want to stay.

The place in Trastevere will save me around $250, but I get my own breakfast. I also like the idea of something slower paced. On the other hand, I reckon I will be doing a lot of walking already and I wonder if I will not like staying far away from the main area? How far of a walk is it from the Trastevere area to Piazza Navona? As a first timer, should I just stay in the center section? Noise isn't a problem for me as I am a heavy sleeper and I've been known to even sleep through a thunderstorm.
Jun 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM

I'm a total lover of Trastevere but it's not as central and is mostly a working class neighborhood so isn't nearly as pretty as PN area. The benefit of Trastevere is there are fewer tourists (once you get away from the main square) and the prices are less expensive for food and drink (again, keep away from the main square).

You can check viamichelin or mappy for how long it takes to walk from Trastevere to PN; my guess is 20 minutes. But there are plenty of buses.

I would save the $250 and stay in Trastevere but hesitate to recommend it for a first timer.
Jun 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Unless you are a seasoned traveller, I wouldn't underestimate the value of staying in a hotel during your first visit to Rome. Even after multiple visits, I've appreciated the assistance of hotel staff for a myriad of questions/issues. When I've travelled alone, I've found staying in apartments to be too isolated.
Jun 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I've been to a few places here and there, but I definitely wouldn't qualify as a seasoned traveler. Also, this will only be my second time to Europe.

In the end, I decided to go with the hotel in Navona. I'm traveling solo and I figure, as Jean pointed out, hotel staff is there if I need it. If I find myself returning to Rome, (which may be awhile as I have many other places I want to see and pockets are not bottomless!) I may consider going the apartment route.

Search this Thread