Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Rome is it illegal to drink alcohol in public?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, this may be a silly question, but the last thing I need on my vacation is a run-in with the police. I'm picturing getting some food, a bottle of wine, and having a little picnic lunch in, say, Piazza Novona or by the Trevi Fountain. Would I be breaking the law?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:06 AM

No, it's not. We were just there and in Piazza Navona on New years and there were booths with beer being sold and we walked around with one every once in awhile. We even bought a beer at a cart in Florence and walked around with it. I will say, however, that we didn't see many others doing it but we never were questioned and they were being sold in the streets.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:06 AM
ira

Hi jr,

There was a thread last year discussing how the mayors of the tourist twons in Italy were very unhappy with the amount of trash being left by tourists pinicking in the squares, etc., so they removed the benches.

As long as you don't litter and aren't drunk, you will have no problems.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:26 AM

Most places are awkward for picnicing, and you get glances of disapproval squatting/eating where you don't belong (but probably never any police attn).

I ran across a wine festival spread across Rome, where half of everybody on the streets wore a pouch hung round their neck holding a wine glass. You paid only e5 for all you can drink at the various booths in disparate neighborhoods. This was in the last week of last May, where furthermore almost all city museums were free! Wonder if those repeat this year.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:35 AM

The last time i was at the Trevi Fountain i believe there was a sign posted saying no picnicking allowed - due to problems in above post no doubt. Whether it's enforced or not i don't know.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:46 AM

Being able to do just what you're asking about is one of the real pleasures of traveling in Europe. I have wonderful memories of buying a panini and a beer from a street vendor, then enjoying both on a park bench across from the Colosseum. The only people who seemed to notice were jealous of my cold beer on what turned out to be a very hot day.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded!