Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   In Rome, del Senato or Inn at Roman Forum (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/in-rome-del-senato-or-inn-at-roman-forum-188994/)

gina1003 Jan 3rd, 2007 09:46 AM

In Rome, del Senato or Inn at Roman Forum

We currently have three nights booked at Albergo del Senato. Earlier while planning our trip, we were very interested in the Inn at the Roman Forum. At the time, we were concerned with it's location and the price was pretty high. Well, now they're running a special which makes it about $150euro less than the Senato for the 3 day stay. Senato is a three star hotel, while the Inn at the Roman Forum is a five star right on top of the ruins.

I am looking for a little guidance as to choosing. It would be ideal if the Inn was located by the Pantheon but it's not. Help!

hausfrau Jan 3rd, 2007 10:06 AM

Hmmm, tough one! I can't comment on the Inn at the Forum, but I just got back from 6 nights at the Albergo del Senato and it was AWESOME. Remember that the only reason it is not at least a 4 star hotel is that it does not have its own restaurant and/or spa. The service was great, breakfast was great, and our room (#603) was gorgeous, with a top-floor view and small balcony looking out at the Pantheon. WOW. After hoofing it all over Rome we also felt like the Pantheon was the best location we could have found - very centrally located, with all sorts of restaurants within easy walking distance, and quiet at night. If I return to Rome (and I did throw my coin in the Trevi Fountain) I would definitely consider staying there again.

toni_g_b Jan 3rd, 2007 11:07 AM

And another vote for del Senato for all the same reasons as hausfrau. We've already got reservation for our trip this August - couldn't think of staying anywhere else, our first visit was so incredible.

robizzo Jan 16th, 2007 04:08 PM

We stayed at the Albergo del Senato a couple of years ago. Nothing but rave reviews. Great location, great staff, exceptional room. Look on Trip Advisor for other reviews. I would stay again in a minute

ekscrunchy Jan 17th, 2007 04:16 AM

Hausfrau, We stayed in the same room, #603!

The area around Senato is far superior to that around the Trevi, in my opinion. The Trevi area is packed, day and night, with tourists and although the piazza in front of the Senato is also crowded at times, it is fairly quiet at night and much more charming. Noise might also be an issue in front of the Trevi fountain at night. That is a big price difference, however; you will be fine with both of those places. They are about 10 minutes walking distance from one another.

Nikki Jan 17th, 2007 04:44 AM

It does not look to me like the hotel Gina is considering is near the Trevi Fountain, but rather near the Forum. In case I am reading it wrong, however, I did stay near the Trevi Fountain and the area was fine. The only place that was crowded was the piazza right in front of the fountain. The side streets were fine and were quiet at night.

Michaellip Jan 17th, 2007 04:48 AM

EK: Where did your remarks about the Trevi area enter the discussion. Original poster was talking about the Inn at the Roman Forum. I have stayed at the Del Senato and am booked again for March 2007. It is one of if not the best location in Rome. Rooms are beautiful and the staff terrific.

dorkforcemom Jan 17th, 2007 05:29 AM

I concur with hausfrau - we've stayed at del Senato and it's one of my favorites. I admit to not being familiar with the other hotel to which you are refering so I can't compare. I love the service, location, view (be sure to request room on 6th floor with view of the Pantheon), rooftop bar, recommendations from staff for restaurants, just as the other posters have reported. Happy planning!

ekscrunchy Jan 17th, 2007 05:46 AM

Oooops...sorry, you are right! My mistake. I guess I still have jet lag from our trip! For location, the Senato is much better than the Forum area in my opinion. sorry for the mistake.

BobandBunkie Jan 17th, 2007 06:03 AM

Just one more poster with accolades for del Senato. We stayed in #605 (one of you guys must have been in #603 at the time) and had the same balcony view. We felt the location was ideal! WE never took a cab, but walked all over.

ekscrunchy Jan 17th, 2007 06:12 AM

B&B..I was there last week from Sunday to Sunday. Is that when you were there? I, too, loved the Senato. The front desk staff are truly marvelous.

iluvitaly Jan 17th, 2007 09:10 AM

Definitely Albergo del Senato.

hausfrau Jan 17th, 2007 10:24 AM

ek, wow, same room! :-) We loved it!! (Although I hear #608 is "the best.") I was in heaven every night, looking out at the Pantheon and the piazza below. On Christmas we had a big lunch and just spent the evening in our room, it was that good! It was great to be up so high because you could see out over the rooftops (and I bet it is quieter up there too).

We were there 12/23-29.

I have to add (because of all the posts about transport from the airport to Rome) that we took the Senato's offer of a shuttle to and from the airport for 55 Euro each way. We have never done this before, so it was fun to have a driver waiting with our name on a sign when we got off the plane! I know this is expensive, and on the way to Rome it was just a van, but on the way back it was an S-Class Mercedes and I have to say that was pretty darn nice!

LuLu Jan 17th, 2007 05:34 PM

Stayed at the del Senato last September and loved it!! Great location and wonderful staff. Have stayed at other 5 star hotels in Rome but the del Senato will be my "home away from home" from now on.

saxbe Jan 24th, 2007 04:49 AM

Hausfrau,
Was your room (#603) a double room or a suite? On their website, there are many room options, and I'm trying to distinguish between the junior suite and the senior suite. Any input you could provide would be helpful. Thanks!

hausfrau Jan 24th, 2007 07:16 AM

saxbe, #603 is a "superior" double. I think the superior part refers to the view, since I don't think the room could be much smaller and still be reasonably comfortable. (Don't get me wrong, we didn't mind the size at all, but we are used to small rooms.) I have not seen any of the suites at the Senato so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

gina1003 Jan 28th, 2007 01:11 PM

I didn't realize people were still responding to this post! Thanks for all the input. My mom and I decided on the Senato. We will be in a junior suite with a view. Hope it's on the 6th floor which everyone loves. Now I'm trying to get a list of restaurants together to keep on hand as we hoof it around Rome. Any personal favorites?