Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   in rome best way/transportation to get to sites (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/in-rome-best-way-transportation-to-get-to-sites-65861/)

chrissy Mar 19th, 2000 10:44 PM

in rome best way/transportation to get to sites

I attempted to research this but can't find anyhting. This is our first trip to rome and I am confused on the best way to get around. we are staying by the piazza navona. Should we take the train to the vatican, trevi fountain, forum , catacombs, and the colusseum? if we take a tour does that include transportation? (it doesn't say on any tour websites) than you for any information

Ed Mar 20th, 2000 03:59 AM

The central part of Rome containing most of the most interesting places to visit is relatively small, perhaps 3 km across from the main train station (Termini) to St. Peter's. Piazza Navona is located pretty near the center so you can walk to almost everything on your list. <BR> <BR>You might want to take the bus to St Peter's and the Vatican, though I'd walk. Ditto for the Colosseum. <BR> <BR>In any event you probably want to organize your sightseeing a bit by geography. You'll find more than a little help doing that at www.twenj.com/romesights.htm <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Paulo Mar 20th, 2000 04:57 AM

Just adding my 2 cents to Ed's comment, one of the few places I find kind of awkward to get to is the catacomb area in Via Appia Antica. <BR> <BR>As you may know, there are 4 "standard" bus tour intineraries for visiting Rome, run by Carrani Tours, Appian Line, CIT, American Express, etc. Though I really don't like any of them much (American Express may be a shade better), there's one that may buy you precious time. You may plan to visit most sites of Rome on your own (or an eventual walking tour here and there) and consider visiting the basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, the basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Scala Santa and Battistero San Giovanni, and one catacomb (San Sebastiano, San Callisto or Domitilla, depending on day of week) by taking an afternoon bus tour (denominated "Christian Rome"). Besides the visits disclosed above, from the bus you'll be able to see, among other sites, the Caracalla Baths, the Tomb of Cecilia Metella, the Quo Vadis chapel and Circus Maximus. <BR> <BR>Should you decide visiting the Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura, the best public transportation means is certainly the subway. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

howard Mar 20th, 2000 06:51 AM

In brief, you can walk to almost all the sites. For the Vatican, either a bus or the metro, depending on where you are the time. <BR>In general, I would give one bit of advice: Don't overorganize before you go! Once you're there and you get your bearings, it'll all seem so much easier! You're staying in a very convenient area. <BR>Oh, and yes, transportation is included in the tours (except for walking tours, of course!)

Carol Mar 20th, 2000 08:06 AM

Rome is so beautiful, it's a shame to ever go underground for transportation. I'm in my 50s and my favorite way of getting around Rome is walking. After walking, buses. It's about a 30-40 minute walk at most from Piazza Navona to the Vatican and it can be a lovely experience. If you're planning to do the Vatican museums--take the bus so you don't tire yourself with the walk over. The only bus tour I'd strongly recommend is the Rome by Night tour and I'd suggest it for your first night. It's a little corny, but the city is magnificent with all the monuments lit up.

adam Mar 20th, 2000 10:24 AM

Well I just got back from Rome. I did not use public transportation at all. I found the best way to get around was by walking. Although watch out for the drivers because they are crazy. If have any questions email me because I just had so much fun there.

Beth Mar 20th, 2000 02:12 PM

When we were in Rome we also stayed near Navona. I didn't find the metro particularly convenient, as you have to go a good distance just to get to the nearest stop. We walked everywhere, when our feet got tired we took taxis. Taxis didn't seem too expensive. For example, we took a taxi from the hotel to the colosseum, because we were going on a 4 hour walking tour and wanted to save our feet. Mostly you can walk anywhere, until you get too tired to walk any furthur. <BR> <BR>Not sure what tours you are talking about. We took walking tours with Scala Reale, and they didn't include transportation. We met the guide at a cafe close to the starting point of the tour.