Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   in Rome 3 days in May - what should I do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/in-rome-3-days-in-may-what-should-i-do-197942/)

Abby Apr 12th, 2002 07:00 AM

in Rome 3 days in May - what should I do?

I will be in Rome for 3 days in May and figure I will probably try the first day that bus tour I've seen talked about on this site. We will probably be a little jet lagged so thought that a good idea. I'd love some suggestions on what to do and where to eat. Thanks.

elaine Apr 12th, 2002 07:38 AM

Abby<BR>Give us a little more information.<BR>Where are you staying, and how much do you like to spend for restaurant meals?<BR>For sightseeing, you must have some things in Rome that you really want to see. Museums? Churches? Ancient sites? Shopping?<BR>If you don't yet have your general Rome guidebook ( you will need one, plus a map) then go elsewhere on this Fodor's website to the Rome section. It will outline the major sights,and you can even print out a little miniguide.<BR>Then come back here and ask about some of the things that interest you; people can help you with an itinerary to include the things you want to see.<BR><BR>good luck

Vita Apr 12th, 2002 07:43 AM

Fodors has a suggested 3-day itinerary on this site in the Rome destination section. Here's the link, but it might not work:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/[email protected]&cur_section=fea &feature=30001<BR><BR>I would highly recommend going to St. Peter's as early in the day as possible when there are no crowds. Spend one day doing Ancient Rome - Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon, etc. Have fun!

Leslie Apr 12th, 2002 08:06 AM

Abby - I think the orientation tour your first day is a good idea...American Express is a live guide but a bit long (4 hours)..there's also the tour from www.enjoyrome.com and the Ciao Roma Trolley tour which we took. This one is cheaper and a recorded guide, w/ headsets but it is a comfortable bus and takes only about 1 1/2 hours for the circuit. To me, that's the most efficient orientation and you can get on/off at various stops if you like. If I were you, I would then pick one major site near your hotel and make a dinner reservation. Casually visit that site, maybe have a latte in the piazza, then have dinner and go to bed by 9:00 to overcome your jetlag.<BR><BR>Then, your second planning issue depends on whether you wish to go the the Vatican Museum as it is best to go at opening time in the morning. You could do that the morning of day 2 or day 3. After the museums, you'll naturally want to see St. Peter's Basilica (there's a Ciao Roma stop on the main street coming into St. Peter's Square). Also, if you like special art museums, then reservations for the Villa Borghese are required, so you'll want to plan a time for that.<BR><BR>As to the rest of your touring, I wouldn't break it into ancient Rome vs. other historical periods, but rather by zone and transportation. For example, Piazza Venezia, the Campidolio (check the view from the back side of the Campidolio down onto the Roman ruins)and the Colleseum are pretty close to each other. There is an easy metro connection if you want to buzz over to the Spanish Steps at that point.<BR><BR>Also, the Piazza Navona and the Pantheon are very close together. The Fontani di Trevi is within walking distance from there and the Spanish Steps are not too far from the Fontana di Trevi.

cherie Apr 12th, 2002 08:49 AM

It depends on what you like to do. The coliseum is really awesome So is St. Peters and the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. My favorite thing to do in Rome is to go the Piazza Navona and eat at one of the restaurants and drink wine and watch people. There are artists in the square and mimes and musicians. My favorite store in Rome for ceramics is also there. One place we went that was another favorite was a church that has the Moses sculpture that was done by Michelangelo.. I think it's one of his best. This same church has the chains that bound ST. Peter. It's near the Coliseum . The name of the church translates to "St. Peter in Chains" I also love the Pantheon which is near Piazza Navonna and eat some great gelato. Enjoy!. I love Italy!!!

cherie Apr 12th, 2002 08:49 AM

It depends on what you like to do. The coliseum is really awesome So is St. Peters and the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. My favorite thing to do in Rome is to go the Piazza Navona and eat at one of the restaurants and drink wine and watch people. There are artists in the square and mimes and musicians. My favorite store in Rome for ceramics is also there. One place we went that was another favorite was a church that has the Moses sculpture that was done by Michelangelo.. I think it's one of his best. This same church has the chains that bound ST. Peter. It's near the Coliseum . The name of the church translates to "St. Peter in Chains" I also love the Pantheon which is near Piazza Navonna and eat some great gelato. Enjoy!. I love Italy!!!

Abby Apr 12th, 2002 09:38 AM

Thank you all so much for your wonderful advice. I am so looking foward to this. Thanks for the tips Vita, Leslie and Cherie. To answer Elaine, what would you see and where would you eat? Cost or location isn't that much of an issue for me. Thanks again everyone.

elaine Apr 12th, 2002 10:06 AM

I would see the Colosseum and Forum on a 4-hour guided tour with Scala Reale.<BR>It's a big chunk of time, but that interests me, and their tour guides are excellent, entertaining and knowledgeable. Included with that fee is Scala Reale's two hour Orientation Hike which includes several landmark churches and sculptures, and which I would do rather than the bus tour which would make me sleepy on my first day.<BR>I would take another half day and go to the Vatican Museums, and especially<BR>St Peter's Basilica. Scala Reale also offers a guided tour for these but you've got to be willing to commit for another 4 hours. I've visited zillions of churches in my travels, and I'm not Catholic, but St Peter's is in a class all its own. If you prefer, there are one-hour guided tours in English once or twice a day, you can inquire at the Vatican tourist office which is in St Peter's Square on the upper left as you face the church. Next to the Vat. tourist office is the Vatican post office where you can buy stamps and mail post cards from there. The Vat. stamps are no good in Rome proper. <BR><BR>I would not miss the Pantheon and would have lunch or dinner on or nearby Piazza Navona as mentioned, or at least stroll through the Piazza at night.<BR>About a 10-15 minute walk from P. Navona is La Tartaruga, via del Monte della Farina 53, 06 686 9473, closed Mon. In Sept 01, I had dinner two nights in a row there--I've never done that anywhere before. The address is a small street that starts next to the church of St Andrea della Valle, immediately south of Corso Vittorio Emmanuelle. It is family-run. All the food was outstanding on both nights and as simple as it sounds, the mandarine (tangerine) sorbet was to die for. Cost pp, full meal plus a glass of wine and coffee, was about $40 and worth twice that.<BR><BR>Also not far from the Pantheon,<BR>Myosotis, via dela Vaccarella 3/5, phone 06 686 5554,closed Sun www.myostotis.it was excellent. Simple d&eacute;cor, inviting pink color scheme. Complete dinner for one with a glass of wine, about $35pp. If I'd had more time I would have gone there again. Pleasant and efficient service, very good food. A very good value.<BR><BR>I'd also take a walk through the Trastevere area, about a 20-25 minute walk from the Pantheon/P. Navona area.<BR>Lots of cute cafes, less-touristed.<BR>And I'd do the walk from the Spanish Steps to the Trevi Fountain so that you can say you've seen them. The Spanish Steps impressed me not at all, but the<BR>Trevi Fountain lived up to my expectations and then some.

Abby Apr 12th, 2002 07:33 PM

Thank you elaine. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Tom Apr 13th, 2002 01:53 AM

Go to www.twenj.net and click on Rome.<BR>

ttt Apr 13th, 2002 07:41 AM

topping

ttt Apr 13th, 2002 06:10 PM

topping

ttt Apr 14th, 2002 09:17 AM

up

ttt Apr 14th, 2002 03:22 PM

up