Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Paris now: a couple of quick questions...

Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

We have been in Paris since Sun., and head back to Boston tomorrow. We have had a fabulous time, and I will make sure to do a trip report upon return. A couple of quick questions....

1. How early should we get to CDG? Our flight leaves at 1:15 p.m. Paris time.

2. We have been very confused on tipping in the cafes and restaurants. All the guidebooks we read and the info. in the apt. we have rented (along with many menus) say that service is included. However, whenever we get a bill, it only gives the food prices and TVA (19.6% which is the tax, I assume). When we ask if "the service est compris"?, they say no, so we have been leaving tips. Are we double-tipping?

Thanks so much
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM

i would like to know this also we'll be there in about 8 weeks time.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM

I would get there by 11:15 and you should be ok, but CDG Airport is HUGE and if you are arriving on the RER train you might have to take a bus to your terminal after leaving the train.

As for tipping, I was confused too but I always left around 10% anyway.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM

I would suggest that you check in at the airport at least three hours beforee flight time. The lines going through security can be extremely long.

Are you double-tipping ? Absolutely.
Service is included in the menu prices.
As a general rule, if we're very happy with the service - or it's a place we go to often - we leave one or two euros.

PB
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

So, we ARE double-tipping? That's what I was thinking we were doing. My thought was that the service must be included in the menu prices for food/drinks, etc...OK, glad we figured that out on our last full day

We are taking a cab from our apt. in the 5th arr. to CDG. Do you think arriving 2 or 3 hours ahead of time is best?
Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:55 AM

Service is ALWAYS included in French restaurant/café/etc. prices. I am very surprised that your receipts were not printed "service compris" already -- I cannot think of any place that I go to where it is not automatically printed on the ticket.

2 hours or 3 hours early is a matter of personal preference. I prefer not to be in any kind of hurry, even if I get bored in the departure lounge. So I go 3 hours early.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:04 AM
ira

Hi B,

I arrive at CDG 3 hr in advance.

The worst that can happen is that you will kill an hour at the duty-free.

Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:04 AM
ira

PS,

Yes, you are double tipping.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM

I don't blame you for being confused beachgirl. Last year ago we ate at several places where 'service compris' was nowhere to be seen on the carte or the bill and when we asked we were told no as well. Cafe Constant was one of the palces I can't remember the others.

does make you wonder.....lynda
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:06 AM

There's nothing to wonder about. It's included over here. If you wish to leave a little extra, a 1 or 2 euro coin is fine. If you love the guy, 5 euros.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM

Last time I left CDG I had 2-1/2 hours and thought I'd have plenty of time but did not. I didn't have to run, but didn't have much extra time either. Lines were long and it was a hike to the departure gate.

I recommend three hours.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
blh

How long would you allow from the 3rd to CDG early on Saturday morning? Our flight is at 11:40 - so we would need to arrive about 8:40 to allow three hours. If we leave the apartment about 8:00, would that be enough time?
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM

I like the 2-3 hour window. When we went through, the shuttle left us off at a different terminal so we had to walk all the way over. (Long walk.) Then we were told to get directly to check-in because it was lunch time and they would CLOSE soon. It was a decent clip from there to security, when we got through those lines (halted by a woman who lost a small piece off her luggage), it was a long, long walk to our gate which it turned out led to a bus that shutttled us (10 mins.) to separate building where our real departure gate was.

Don't underestimate CDG. You have no idea.
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM

blh, leaving Paris at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning is fine. Even 8:15/8:20 would work.
Feb 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I try to get at CDG about 2:30-3 hours before a flight to the US, to be on the safe side. Once in a great while, things go very quickly, but even then I don't usually have more than an hour idle wait.

I'm really surprised you have only been to restaurants with improper bills and where they are lying to you. I don't think I've ever been in one in Paris where it wasn't properly noted on the menu (and on the card on the window, I don't recall about the bill itself). Did you look at the menu, rather than the bill? Usually it's on the last or back page, at the bottom.

I don't ask them as I know it has to be by law, so maybe they would lie to me, too, I've never tested it out. But since you are using the term tipping, did you by any chance ask them if "the tip" is included, rather than service? Because they could truthfully say no to that. But if you really did ask what you said about the service, they are apparently lying (and I really can't imagine they wouldn't include it as most Europeans aren't going to give them any more and would assume it's in the price).

The specific regulation by the DGCCRF (Direction Generale de la Concurrence, de la Consommation et de la Repression des Fraudes) and on the French Finance Minister's website is:

<<Le service est un pourcentage perçu sur l'addition ou le prix. It doit être inclus obligatoirement dans le montant de la note ou de la facture. Les prix affichés doivent etre ceux a payer effectivement par le client (donc service inclus). Dans les restaurants ou débits de boisson où il est perçu un service, tous les documents (tarifs, menus...) Doivent comporter le mention: "prix service compris", suivie du pourcentage applique.>>

Now maybe you can read that, I won't translate it all, but it does say the service MUST be included and it has to be included on the prices posted on the window, and it must be included on the bill. It also says the menu has to include the phrase "prix service compris" and the percentage applied.