In need of Italy advice please.....

Jun 12th, 2002, 10:32 AM
tracy

In need of Italy advice please.....

My friend and I are in our early 30's and traveling to Italy mid July. We would like to see Rome, Florence and Venice but can't decide if to include Milan. Any advice on inexpensive places to stay?

Jun 12th, 2002, 10:49 AM
sandi

try www.venere.com for hotel listings in all price ranges or try a search on this site for Milan hotels.

How many days will you be traveling? I'd concentrate on "The big 3" if I were you. Where will you be flying into/out of?

Jun 12th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Anna

We stayed at the Hotel Belletini in Florence last month. Our room was large and clean (124 Euros) with private bath. The staff was very nice and they had free internet access. Good location too. http://www.firenze.net/hotelbellettini/

Hotel Galleria in Venice is a good value too (104 Euros). Our room was very narrow with a double bed and private bath, it was fine for a couple but I'd try for a twin room if I was going with my friend.
http://www.hotelgalleria.it/indexbri.htm

On a first trip to Italy, I'd skip Milan unless you fly in or out of it. This was my third trip and my first visit to Milan. We enjoyed seeing the cathedral, Galleria, and da Vinci's Last Supper. It is a nice city but I wouldn't go back anytime soon. I'd spend more time in Florence or Rome.

Jun 12th, 2002, 03:06 PM
bodeen

as anna said there are three things to see in milan. there are many more interesting places to see in italy. if yoou go to milan consider a day trip north to bergamo by bus

Jun 12th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Trent

My wife and I just went to Rome, Florence, and Venice in June for our honeymoon. I am 31 years old. It was our first trip abroad. We spent 2 1/2 days in Rome and saw everything we wanted to see. Rome was great! Stay near Piazza Navona and you will be close to everything. We stayed at Hotel Navona for about 110 Euros. Great location, very basic room. No A/C. Our best meal in Italy was at Da Francesco near Piazza Navona. It was very good and relatively cheap. Incredible historical sights in Rome. Get to the Vatican Museum about an hour before it opens as a line forms.
Neither of us were really impressed by Florence. It is crowded and by the time we finished with Rome, the Duomo in Florence was not as appealing. If you want to go to the Uffizi Museum, get reservations or you will wait in line for 1-2 hours. David was awesome! We did not have reservations and it only took 20 minutes to get in. Florence is worth going to but 2 days is plenty.
Venice is neat. We stayed at La Residenza. It was 150 Euros which is a little high but the rooms were very nice and it is near San Marco. We both enjoyed Venice.

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Sue

Rome was great for the history, but we found it busy and dirty. Florence was romantic, charming, friendly and beautiful. You can get good art in both. Venice is best for walking around and taking in the atmosphere. Also, get a 3-day water bus pass and use it to tour around the island and through the Grand Canal, both in daylight and at night. Skip the bored gondoleers.
I agree with comments above about Milan and the three-only sites to see.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Susan

Hi Tracy,
My husband and I stayed in Milan for two nights at the Hotel Spadari al Duomo, a small yet stylish modern art hotel. I believe the rate per night was around 165 Euros. A good value for a hotel that was conveniently located.
Enjoy your trip!

Jun 15th, 2002, 11:08 PM
jan

dont go to milan, dirty and crowded. not worth it..stay in venice, florence or rome an extra day

Jun 16th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Leslie

Agree you should skip Milan unless you are arriving or departing from there and/or have more than two weeks for your trip.

Here's a very nice and reasonably priced B & B in Florence. Location is ideal, right on the Piazza at the Duomo. Run by an American/Italian husband/wife team. Very fresh, nice rooms, felt like coming home to our own aparment, including three flights of stairs with no elevator!

Hotel Battistero B & B
(aka: Soggiorno Battistero)
Piazza San Giovanni, 1 Phone: 011-39-05-529-5143
Email: [email protected]