Reload this Page >

In need of advice for Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:36 AM
elana

Am planning a 7-day trip to Ireland at the end of April and needed the following advice from those who've been:<BR><BR>1. I'm arriving in Dublin. Is it too much to try to see Kerry/Dingle Pennisula along with Galway/Connemara? If you could only do one, in retrospect, which is the better direction to veer?<BR><BR>2. Any recommendations for accommodations in Galway and Dublin.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:47 AM
Kathleen

You could try to cram both Kerry & Galway/Connemara in, but you'll spend most of your time in the car. IMO, I'd spend a couple days in Dublin (at the beginning or end of the trip), then several days in Galway or Clifden/Wesport (it's only a three hour drive). Then loop a little further north back towards Dublin, stop at Clonmacnoise and then the Boyne Valley for Newgrange, etc.<BR>Save Co. Kerry & Dingle for another trip--where you land in Shannon instead.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:00 AM
cd

Elana<BR>Forgive me for repeating myself but if I were you I would land in Shannon instead of Dublin. You can be in Doolin within 2 hrs of landing and see the Burren and Clifs of Mohler (sp?) You are then just a few hrs from Galway and Galway is just a few hrs from the Connemara which is wonderful! You can come back to the Dingle Peninsula and drive Conor Pass (great!) and Slea Head Drive! The most beautiful scenery ever! You could fly back out of Shannon. This would be very doable in 7 days. You could even fly back out of Dublin as it is about a 7hr drive from the Dingle Peninsula

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:20 AM
maire

We loved the Atlantic Hotel in Galway--right in the heart of things on Dominck Street, within easy walking of most sights and offering some great pubs nearby with traditional music and dance. In Clifden, we stayed at the Abbeyglen Castle, which is not really a castle but an old stately hotel in a beautiful location. If you have time, take the ferry to Innismore Island which offers beautiful walks and scenery.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:14 AM
Lara

Galway and the West are G-d's country. No contest -- go West.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:23 AM
monkey

as a native,<BR><BR>I'd have to say, head to Kerry if you can. Connemara is beautiful too, but quite different in scenery from kerry. Connemara is all exposed granite, very poor soil, rockys coves and small hidden beaches. Kerry has amazing scenery, and grey towns, I know any other Irish person would say Killarney is too full of tourists, but there is a great buzz there. If you do go to Galway, try to tour around and go for B&B's instead of hotels, some of them are great value, just as comfy as hotels. Full brekkie comes as standard. We would go to Galway a lot for weekend trips, (from Dublin) and usually never book a B&B in advance, head for College Road, take exit on 3rd roundabout on the way into Galway and head straight for Greyhound track, (the Galway ringroad is a nightmare and every tiome we go we get lost, but the last time I memorised the correct roundabout!) this is College Road, (Or B&B Ave as we've nicknamed it) nearly every house is a B&B. In kerry, head for the drive out towards Sneem, last time we were there we camped, if you get the weather, no better way. Cathairdaniel is the place to go. <BR><BR>enjoy!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:58 AM
angel

We were able to travel to Galway and Kerry within a week...then again, we slept in our car...but it's possible to do the circle and end back in Dublin by the time your plan tees off.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
John

Hi Elana,<BR><BR>Suggest looking at the Trinity Lodge in Dublin - a great place to stay (would not rent a car in Dublin).<BR> <BR>With a week you might consider three days in Dublin and then head West. Probably stay in Galway as a base and do:<BR><BR>Day 1-3: Dublin and then rent a car and drive to Galway<BR>Day 4: Connemara - Clifden<BR>Day 5: County Mayo - Cong<BR>Day 6: County Clare - Burren/Cliffs of Moher<BR>Day 7: To departure point<BR><BR>If you pass on Dublin, you could include a taste of Dingle and a taste of Kerry.<BR><BR>Overall this would be a trip that gives you a flavor, but little depth.<BR><BR>Have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
Joe

Why in the world would Lara type "G-d's" country? Is God considered a curse? Would Fodor's delete any mention of God? Will my post be deleted?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:56 PM
mjs

We were just in Ireland for the first time last month for about ten days and would recommend skipping Dublin, flying into Shannon and spending your time on the west coast. Highly recommend the Drumcreehy House in Ballyvaughan and Heaton's in Dingle as places to stay.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:34 PM
jfx

We did 1000 miles in six days. Spent a lot of time on the road and had a ball. Whatever you do, look forward to the enjoyment. If you want to go to a lot of places, do it. If you want to just stay around one or two places, do it. The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing. I loved Doolin, (the cliffs of Moher), The Burren, Connemara, Dromoland Castle, Dingle, Blarney, Cobh, Dublin. A lot of miles.... a lot of good times and lifetime memories. Do what you want....not what others think you should do. You'll enjoy it a lot more. Whatever you do, if you rent a car, TAKE THE EXTRA INSURANCE TO MAKE YOUR DEDUCTIBLE $100 EUROS. IT WILL BE WELL WORTH THE COST, BELIEVE ME!!!.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:49 AM
eve

Going to Ireland without visiting Dublin is like going to the U.S. without a stop in NYC to see the urban evolution of the culture.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Bill

Personally, suggesting missing Dublin is like missing NYC is a vote against going to Dublin. It's a city, though interesting, the countryside in Ireland is the place to be.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:36 PM
jeff

Elana, in seven days you can maybe do justice to two of the three places you're mentioning (Dublin/Connemara/Kerry-Dingle) -- but not all three. I would cast my vote with those who've suggested you seriously consider passing on Dublin for this trip, and just fly in and out of Shannon. You can then head initially to either Kerry-Dingle or Connemara, and then double back by means of the Tarbert-Kilimer ferry across the mouth of the Shannon to do the other area. A long day's drive will get you from Galway down to Dingle or Killarney.<BR><BR>The scenery around Killarney has a lush, gentle loveliness that is quite attractive. The "Ring of Kerry" drive, however, was not entirely up to my expectations. I thought the drive around the Dingle peninsula put it in the shade. If you go, don't miss the Slea Head drive, the drive over the Conor Pass north of Dingle, or the Blasket Islands museum at the very west end of the peninsula. <BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:12 PM
islandgirl

Just returned from 9 days in Ireland on Sceptre's air+car+bb certificates.<BR>Advice:<BR>We flew Air Lingus from Cgo to Shannon and back.<BR>Wish we would have done Cgo Dublin and back.<BR>We had a 1.5 hr layover in Dublin both ways. We could have used both of those hours+ to our advantage. So check to see if you have a direct flight or a short stop over. Connemara, Dingle and Kerry as well as the Bera? penninsula all have their merit. Shannon does allow you the flexibility of doing the Galway north and south areas as well as Dingle/Kerry. But Kinsale, Killkenny, Cashel, waterford country etc are great too. Whatever you choose, you'll have a rich experience and miss an experience. We too drove a ton because we wanted to visit Northern Ireland. We loved the B&B's but were limited with vouchers. Worked fine for us and we had no difficulty finding a place because we were out of season. I'd never do it during high season though. Only reason we did it was because the package was cheaper than our own air.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:38 PM
anon

Which airport is cgo?

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:37 PM
6 on the go

we spent 2 weeks in Ireland last year (3 couples) and we'll all return again but won't spend any time in Dublin. It's worth a good hard day of sightseeing, but spend the rest of the time in the West. We personally loved Dingle and would spend a week there again; any time left over in Connemara

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Claude

Are the people who are so down on Dublin just against cities in general -- I loved the place! But then again, I'm from NYC and lived in London.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Jackie

Dublin's a great city. But I've discovered that many Americans don't like Dublin for some reason. My only guess is this: Americans seem to think all of Ireland is one big green field filled with leprechauns and shamrocks (which have 3 leaves, not 4) and harps and people with red hair shouting "Top o' the mornin' to ya!". So they're disappointed at finding a bustling, vibrant city like Dublin, and can't get their head around the fact that Ireland really does participate in the 21st century.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:21 PM
mjs

I would like to say that I am not down on Dublin at all. It is avery nice city and a city I think I could easily live in. I have lived in Los Angeles, Tokyo, San francisco, Boston, London, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Nassau and a few other cities and tend to prefer cities. I just find that Dublin is not as interesting as the west of Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -