Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In light of the devalued dollar do you think London is worth a trip?

Old Nov 13th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My husband and I are planning a trip next year to include Paris and Amsterdam. We have some friends who would like to visit Switzerland too. We know that Switzerland is probably a beautiful place but we just aren't "feeling the love." We thought for the time that we would be on the train it would be more practical to visit London instead and we thought there would be a wider variety of things to do there. We plan to go in late May of next year. For those who love London, give me some advice.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 03:51 PM

London's always worth a trip. Plus who knows what will happen next year with the dollar. Obviously I don't mean you should bankrupt yourself - but if you can afford it, definitely go!
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 03:58 PM

I would vote for London. London is one of our favorite cities.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Hotels are expensive; even little rooms will cost you about $200 a night unless you are well out from the city center.

Other aspects of a visit are expensive.
Food is not cheap, the subways are crowded most of the time, and the sidewalks are crowded and noisy.

Other than that, there are many, many interesting things to see there. I have been there several times and I still have a full dance card of unvisited attractions. Some, like the British Museum, are too much for a single visit.

Also, given the attractions out of the city, like Hampton Court and Windsor Castle, a week in London is not enough.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Anyone know of some good small hotels or bed and breakfasts cost under $150 or 175? Or will I get a dump for that price?
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:14 PM

If you're not picky, priceline can get you a very nice hotel room for about $100 a night, in nice hotels in good locations. Just do your research.

Also, food can be cheap if you want it to be. Not for "fine dining", but you don't need to spend a lot to eat tasty food that leaves you feeling full.

I've considered that for our vacation next year we might not go to Europe because of the weak dollar. But I love it too much, so I'm sure we'll go there rather than anywhere else, despite the cost.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:24 PM

From a very non-objective view- Yes, London is worth a trip.
May would be a perfect time of year.
Save your money, do not splurge on hotel or restaurants and it won't be terribly painful, dollar-wise.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:29 PM

CH and london are about the same in terms of expense. CH has the mountains but is no where near as interesting - especially since your initial reaction is that you have little interest.

i don't know about the deals in the US on hotels (priceline, etc) but i do know that £100 (approx your budget) will not get you a great place in london but perhaps, like me, you do not travel for the hotel.

with the $/£ of course everything is very expensive, however, the good news is that there are some things that are not so bad...

-most museums are free
-a nice imperial pint is about £2.50 in london (no tip needed).
-eating indian or chinese and you will get away about £10-15 per person without drink. both are excellent in london as you may know.
-great theatre is cheap by american standards. national theatre has great deals and the west end is quite affordable with heaps of cheap seats available.

so with the combination of the free museums, walks around the city, etc you are not needing to open your wallet constantly (when you do, however, you usually will feel it).

also keep in mind that all tax is included in room rates, restaurant prices, etc. tipping is much less all around than in US.

late may is a beautiful time to visit...before the crowds and the dreary winter has passed. have fun.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 04:49 PM

I have been to London more times than I can count -- with the $/£ exchange rate from $1.40 = £1 all the way up to $2.45 = £1. So the current $1.85+ doesn't scare me much at all.

You CAN do London on a budget w/o scrimping too much. There are LOTS of tourist class hotels for less than £100 per night double. And if you do priceline you can sometimes get really nice 4 star properties for less than $100.

All the major museums/galleries are free (tho' you sometimes have to pay for special exhibits w/i the museums). Public transport (the tube and buses are a great bargain. The TKTS 1/2 ticket booth sells is wonderful for saving money on good theatre tickets.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 05:42 PM

Go to london. Have a garage sale or two between know and May. Drop the cable TV (after football season) and you more time and money.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 06:01 PM

London is a bit on the pricey side, but I've picked up decent rooms for less than $150 U.S./night in two trips this year and they were nice places in good locations near Victoria Station. You have plenty of time to plan. (On the hotel end of things, Amsterdam can often be on the expensive side, too, for that matter.) Of London, Amsterdam and Paris, I've always found Paris to offer the best value choices for hotels. It could be a matter of greater familiarity, but I don't think that entirely explains it.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 06:31 PM

Yes! The London Walks are fantastic, if few people attend. Very inexpensive. Many museums are free. Take out and use grocery stores. For housing, commute in from the tube about 20 minutes. It will be more peaceful and much cheaper. Even with all that it can be pricey, but so worth it! Such a dynamic, multi ethnic city. The flea markets are so much fun, or just to look or pick up a few items. Just walking the parks and window shopping the swanky areas is a blast. The pubs are enjoyable. I think the people are friendly.

Whatever your economic style and price limits, go regardless of the pound -- that's my opinion.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Dear Tulips,

This year in late August we stayed in a delightful small hotel - well located close to Hyde Park. We paid 76 pounds including a full cooked to order English Breakfast and all taxes. It was located about 2 blocks from 3 bus lines and the same distance from the tube. The people were friendly, helpful and polite and I will go back in a heartbeat.
It was the Darlington Hyde Park and they have a website.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at:
[email protected]

London is magic. Don't let the money situation keep you from traveling. It is truly only money - just currency - only good for what it can do for you.

We are retired teachers on a budget and travel whenever we get the money together and feel as if we are blessed to do so!

Happy Travels!

Only Love Prevails
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 08:24 PM

I just looked at the Darlington and the price range for a double room is more like £140 - 145. How did you get it for the price you state??

I tried that one and got a similar figure.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 09:12 PM

I just did a google search for the Darlington and found their website. It states that you must email or phone for their special offers. They did have onespecial offer online for Christmas for 65 pounds. It's always good to email a hotel directly - rather than go through an agency - or anyway, we have had good luck doing that.
By the way, it is totally non-smoking if that is a problem for you.
Good luck.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 09:42 PM

Go. Late May/early June is our favorite time to visit London. We have found Switzerland to be more expensive than England/Scotland.

Not sure how long you will be travelling for but if you have time, try to take the train out to Bath or Oxford for a day trip.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 03:55 AM

Gosh! as a Londoner so proud to read your comments on our city as we feel it is getting very pricey.

In saying that - as you have all said - dont get trapped into the Tourist places - there are great places to eat that are resonable - the transport system is fine (buying travel cards that allow you to jump on and off buses - underground etc) I am still shocked at how many tourits buy £1 tickets for a single journey when a £2 (or little more!) travel card will cover your bus journeys for the whole day!

tkts - Theatre Booth (the official one!)
is great! checkout http://www.whatsonstage.com before you come to see if they have any offers on
(2 for 1 - meal deals etc)

The one thing I would advise (as a dedicated shopper!) is that London Stores are expensive (I am getting ready for the replies that say no no!)
but IMHO there is little that London Stores offer that you cannot get elsewhere at a better price.....

Anyhow

HAVE FUN whatever you do

John

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 03:58 AM

If you aren't interested in visiting Switzerland, or anywhere else for that matter, then don't go there. There are MANY things to see and do in an ENTIRE COUNTRY as there are in one city but if you have no interest....

I love London and have always felt it was a pricey place, particularly in terms of hotel costs, but expense alone does not define whether or not a place is "worth it." I happen to think that it is, and, hopefully, you will end up feeling the same way.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:05 AM
ira

Hi love,

>We have some friends who would like to visit Switzerland too. ... but we just aren't "feeling the love." We thought ...it would be more practical to visit London.<

Uh Oh. How do your travelling companions feel about that?
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:06 AM
ira

PS,

How about Amsterdam, Paris and then you go to London and they go to Switzerland?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information