Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   In Italian, how do you say.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/in-italian-how-do-you-say-460237/)

PatriciaV2 Jul 16th, 2004 09:51 AM

In Italian, how do you say....

I am using a translation tool online, and it stinks! Everytime I try to translate it back into English it isn't what I meant to say in the beginning. Can anyone tell me how to translate: I would like to know if you have a room with bath and with a view available for the night of August 9th?

Thanks!
Patricia

Jocelyn_P Jul 16th, 2004 09:54 AM

Can't help you with the translation, but be sure to ask for ENSUITE bath, or you may end up with a bath down the hall.

PatriciaV2 Jul 16th, 2004 10:15 AM

Thanks Jocelyn, I will be sure to ask for an ensuite bath.

Anyone else, please help-- I can't translate properly online for some reason.

Thanks!
Patricia

Huitres Jul 16th, 2004 10:20 AM

Patricia: A couple things I need to know first:

1) Do you want a single or double room? I will give you both words and you can plug in which one you want! :)

2) Do you want a view of the sea? View of what? (I will assume you mean view of the sea and put that)

3) Do you want them to fax or email back a confirmation reply or are you just planning to ask this in-person? If asking for reply, then I can add please send confirmation.

Let me know about these things and I can change the wording, thanks!

Vorrei sapere se voi avete una camera doppia (double) OR singola (single) con bagno con vista sul mare per il 9 agosto (solamente per una notte). Grazie mille per le informazione.

elberko Jul 16th, 2004 10:25 AM

I find it MUCH safer to write in MY language. There will be somebody on the other end who will understand!

When my Austrian cousin and I comunicate, I write English, she writes German- it's easier to understand another language than write it.

PatriciaV2 Jul 16th, 2004 10:32 AM

I have tried this translator several times.. It is defunct. I am trying to say:

I would like to know if you have a room (with ensuite bath and view)available for the night of August 9th. I should arrive before 2pm, but if I am delayed can I still check-in after 2? Also, do you request a deposit?

(does anyone know if convents request deposits? I would like to have to fax only one time).

Thanks!
Patricia

Eloise Jul 16th, 2004 10:35 AM

PatriciaV2 is looking for accommodation for 38 Euros a night -- mind you, with ensuite bath and view. Her choices, if any, are pretty well limited to convents and small B&Bs.

The fallacy that anywhere and everywhere there will be someone who speaks English should not be encouraged.

m_kingdom2 Jul 16th, 2004 10:36 AM

I'd also try to email them in English, and if you have no success then resort to Italian which can be dodgey as you may not understand each other perfectly well.

PatriciaV2 Jul 16th, 2004 10:36 AM

Thanks Huitres! You are very kind!

They only have doubles and the view is of the Duomo. Also, I guess I would need a confirmation back.

Do you know if a deposit is required? (also I may have to check in after 2pm would they still hold the room for me if I let them know in advance)?

Thanks!
Patricia

Eloise Jul 16th, 2004 10:37 AM

And yes, PatriciaV2, some convents DO ask for deposits.

PatriciaV2 Jul 16th, 2004 10:41 AM

Oh, it is a convent and they don't accept credit cards....???

You all are the greatest!
Patricia

Huitres Jul 16th, 2004 10:46 AM

Patricia:
To avoid any misunderstandings with accents, etc. it is probably best for you to either 1) fax your request and ask for a confirmation back to your fax number or 2) email them, they can return reply to your email. I've written both versions below and you can pick the one you want.

My experience is that the place will reply and tell you if they need a deposit (don't volunteer it!). Usually they will require your credit card number to "hold" the first night as a guarantee. Let me know what they reply to you and I can help you from there....

Vorrei sapere se voi avete una camera doppia con bagno sul vista sul Duomo per il 9 agosto. Io arrivo nel pomeriggio (dopo 14.00 ore). Per favore, mandarmi la conferma per il email (OR per il fax: il numero e' 001.----------). Grazie mille per le informazione.

PatriciaV2 Jul 16th, 2004 01:34 PM

Thank you Huitres! You are very kind to have helped. I was able to fax the hotels today.

Thanks so much!
Patricia
by the way, do you speak French? Your name seems French to me. It's a very nice name.

townclose Jul 16th, 2004 01:51 PM

Lonely Planet makes a great little phrase book for Italian. We just got back and used it ALL the time. Small enough to fit in your pocket or purse too!

Huitres Jul 16th, 2004 02:06 PM

Hi Patricia: Glad I was able to help you out. My moniker is indeed French and "huitres" means oysters! Doesn't it sound better in French than in English?! I am fluent in French and Italian, but prefer Italian which I speak more often. Have a great time in Italy in your 'room with a view'!

Spygirl Jul 16th, 2004 02:31 PM

Huitres-since you're fluent in Italian, and I've only studied Italian (albeit in Florence) I have to throw my two cents in and say that I don't know whether I would bother with the "vorrei sapere se voi" bit. It sounds too formal-much better to my ears to just say, "Per favore, avete una camera doppia o singola con bagno-----
I also assume you didn't want to translate exactly what Patricia wanted, instead opting to shorten her statement by writing "I arrive in the afternoon after 14:00 hours" which sounds okay to me, if that's what she wanted.

nonnafelice Jul 16th, 2004 02:42 PM

For future reference, Karen Brown has a collection of sample reservation request forms in various languages. For example, the Italian one is at:
http://www.karenbrown.com/news/resfo...servation.html

You could copy this, adapting it for your preferences, and use it for wherever you want to reserve, not necessarily going through KB.

JWM91604 Jul 16th, 2004 02:53 PM

Sono d'accordo con elberko. Someone on the other end will, of course, understand English. They provide accomodations to international travelers. Il problema con fare la richiesta in inglese e' la possibilita che la riposta venera' in Italiano e tu, Patrizia, non potrai capirla. Hai capito?

JWM91604 Jul 16th, 2004 02:56 PM

scuzate, voglio dire che "il problema che fare la richiesta in ITALIANO e' la possibilita..."

Spygirl Jul 16th, 2004 03:21 PM

Yes, that is true. If you write to them in Italian, Patricia, they most likely will write back in Italian, and you might not understand what they wrote, and would of course have to use some sort of translation service. -and what Huitres translated is not exactly what you said.