Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Ireland would you tour the Cliffs of Moher OR the Ring of Kerry?

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am reposting this question with a more specific title in hopes for a better response. Unfortunatly, I'm new to using the forum so I don't know how to edit my original post.

My husband and I will be flying into Shannon April 29th about 10:00 a.m. We will be staying at a B&B in Bunratty and plan on visiting Bunratty Castle & Folk Park. Bunratty castle is the only thing I planned for that day since I anticipate jet lag. The next day I would like to hire a private guide to take us for a scenic drive along the coast. Late that afternoon we need to catch a train for our 3 night stay in Newcastle so we don't have much time. My thought was to have the guide take us along the Cliffs of Moher, lunch at Doolin and drop us at the Galway train station. I don't know how long of a drive that would be so is that even doable? I've also heard a lot of great things about the Ring of Kerry. Would that be a better option? Is that doable as a partial day trip? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:34 AM

The Ring of Kerry would be out of the question for what you are thinking about.

Can't help you with a driver/guide to take you to Galway. You should be able to find one fairly easy.

I would visit the Cliffs in the morning, ride thru the Burren, then have lunch at Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughn prior to heading to Galway to catch your train.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM

No contest: Cliffs of Moher!!!

Ring of Kerry is pretty... doesn't have the dramatic 'waves crashing against tall limestone cliffs' effect that Cliffs of Moher do. I wished that we could have spent more time there.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM
CU

When in Bunratty take a quick visit across the road to the Blarney Wollen Mills. To see what they have take a look at www.blarney.ie
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
CU

Sorry,
Above should read www.blarney.com
www.ireland.ie/getting_around.asp
www.irishmusicbars.com may also be of help to you.
Enjoy.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Budman - Thanks for your input and the suggestion to have lunch at Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughn. I'll look into that.

Surfmom - Thanks for your input as well. Cliffs of Moher it is.

CU - Thanks for the websites ... I look forward to surfing around for information.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM

jazzie,
Please consider doing as Budman says and have lunch at Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughn. It is a lovely little town and the Pub very famous, esp. for the mussels. The burren is also very unique, one of my favorite places in all of Ireland.
Char
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:50 PM

jazzie, The Cliffs of Moher are a bit of a mess at the moment as they are building a new visitors center there. Lots of construction near the entrance. You can go up to O'Brien's Tower to get away from the building project.

I highly recommend a rather untouristed area of west Clare. Loop Head is a fantastic scenic drive. In April I doubt if you will see many people there. Check with your driver to see if it is possible to do.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Irish Eyes - Thanks for the heads up about Cliffs of Moher. It actually makes me feel better as our itinerary has made a major change. Unfortunately, we wont be able to see the west side of Ireland at all during this trip. This gives us an excellent excuse to visit again!