Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   In Europe... Top 10 places which is a MUST for visits... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/in-europe-top-10-places-which-is-a-must-for-visits-667685/)

Aleckii Jan 6th, 2007 03:55 AM

In Europe... Top 10 places which is a MUST for visits...

Well, I know London and Paris probably ranks way up there, but I've visited France last year, and will visit the UK next year. So, minusing London and Paris, what are the must's in Europe?

This year, I've tried to include as much of them as possible, so far, my plan sounds like this:

Germany - Berlin
Netherlands - Amsterdam
Austria - Salzburg, Vienna
Switzerland - Geneva, Luzerne, Montreux
Italy - Rome (and the Vatican), Florence (with a daytrip to visit Pisa), Venice

And I included Belgium (Brussels), Prague, maybe some other time.

prhirsch Jan 6th, 2007 04:10 AM

Greece: Athens(parthenon)
Delphi

Sue_xx_yy Jan 6th, 2007 04:27 AM

What defines a must for you?

I note that all of your wish-list includes only urban sites, no natural beauty or small villages. Also, do you have a particular theme or interest that inspires your choices?

NeoPatrick Jan 6th, 2007 04:36 AM

Frankly I'd take Geneva off the list. In fact it probably wouldn't appear on my Top 100 list. Maybe that's just me, but it left me cold compared to about 100 other cities.

And I agree with Sue. Much of the beauty of Europe is in the rural settings. How could The Swiss Alps or Amalfi Coast or Norweigian Fjords not make it on the list?

Dukey Jan 6th, 2007 04:49 AM

Frankly, if you want someone to tell you where to go get a guidebook.

hausfrau Jan 6th, 2007 04:53 AM

Really, it sounds like your question should be "what are the top ten BIG cities (perhaps even capital cities?) in Europe?" I'm a small town, nature-loving kind of person and this list includes only a few of my top ten. As Sue and Neo said, there is so much to see and do in Europe, you can't really define a top ten list without some kind of parameters. As just one example I personally would put Munich and Dresden ahead of Berlin. And I agree with Sue about Geneva.

bobthenavigator Jan 6th, 2007 06:37 AM

I agree !
Plan a trip where you stay in towns of under 50,000 population--preferably smaller.

NeoPatrick Jan 6th, 2007 06:41 AM

Who would be surprised to see a list of the TOP TEN in the US that is only cities -- no mention of Grand Canyon, the Rockies, Niagara Falls, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Big Sur, etc.?

tower Jan 6th, 2007 06:48 AM

Aleck...

Every journey we've ever taken, altho all have included major cities, we make a planned effort to visit smaller towns, villages, even the more rural regions. Without that, we both would consider a trip incomplete.

The above represents the real value of indpendent travel, IMO.

Stu T.

Aleckii Jan 7th, 2007 04:20 AM

I agree with all of you, I did notice how the cities I plan to visit includes only urban cities, but due to shortage of time (in 2 months) and pre-booked flight (Geneva-Rome, 23 euro per person), I could only limit my travel to so much.

I have seen pictures of Cinque Terre and Amalfi coast, and would like so much to include them, but they are a little out of the journey. So I suppose I will reserve it to next time (in near future).

And yes, I will be detouring to the alps from Luzerne, just haven't decided which.

suze Jan 7th, 2007 08:24 AM

hey, I like the Geneva area... it is gorgeous and a great place to visit. Not the city of Geneva so much, rather smaller cities and towns like Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux along Lac Leman. If you are flying into Geneva I would suggest you make one of these your first stop.

NeoPatrick Jan 7th, 2007 10:32 AM

I certainly wouldn't argue with that point, suze. I just wouldn't list Geneva itself as one of the top 10 "Musts".

suze Jan 7th, 2007 10:45 AM

Agreed! My Swiss friends call it "the city without a soul"
;-)

luvtotravel Jan 7th, 2007 11:02 AM

I would certainly switch Brussels with Brugge in Belgium.

Danna Jan 7th, 2007 03:02 PM

Scotland... there be Scots there!

Even though the Irish have the best reputation for being welcoming... I find that the Scots were very friendly folk.

Scotland!

StephCar Jan 7th, 2007 03:35 PM

I have been to all the places on your list. I would nix Geneva as others suggest if you have limited time and are going to other places in Switzerland. (Don't get me wrong, it is great city, but...) I am glad Berlin is on your list...we went to Berlin this summer and I found it fascinating--I hadn't been there since 1992 and it was totally different. A super cool historical yet modern city with tons to offer and do regardless of your interests.

Prague would be a must see for me on your list. Brussels maybe. My two cents!

dgg Jan 7th, 2007 07:39 PM

IMHO, I would visit Rome, Florence, Venice, the Amalfi Coast, Amsterdam, Salzburg, Prague, Provence (not the coast), and add Munich and/or Berlin. I would pick one city in Switzerland if you want, but it does not offer the bang for the buck. Vienna is nice, but there are better options. With the places I've outlined above, you will get cities full of history, scenic beauty, and small villages. Do not bother with Pisa. Brugge is also charming and I would pick it over Brussels.