Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   In case anyone didn't know..Additional drivers are to be paid for when you pick-up the car... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/in-case-anyone-didnt-know-additional-drivers-are-to-be-paid-for-when-you-pick-up-the-car-474337/)

PLMN Sep 15th, 2004 05:06 AM

In case anyone didn't know..Additional drivers are to be paid for when you pick-up the car...

at least with AutoEurope - Avis in Italy.

I called AutoEurope today to reconfirm my car rental reservation from Venice. When I made the reservation I told them 3 people so I assumed (you know how that goes,) that the price included everyone TO DRIVE.

Guess not. (I suppose I should have gotten out my magnifying glass to read the fine print.) When we go to pick-up the car there will be a $5.00 per day, MAX $50 charge for 2 additional drivers. This is for the insurance. They also will want to see the DLs for each driver.

Good thing I figured this out beforehand or else I would have been quite upset at the pick-up point.

Now also in the fine print- I see that a security deposit may be required before release of vehicle. They put this as a hold on your credit card.

How do they determine whom they will charge a security deposit? How much is it usually? Perhaps I will call AutoEurope back and check on this also. Has anyone here had to pay a security deposit when renting a car through AutoEurope-Avis?

ezlivin Sep 15th, 2004 05:53 AM

It is customary to charge extra for additional drivers when renting a vehicle, even here in North America.

Of course, driver licences are a must for anybody to drive a rental car. Even here in the US, you are required to show the primary and secondary driver(s) DLs to show proof that they are valid drivers.

PLMN Sep 15th, 2004 06:06 AM

I'm sorry I didn't know. I never rent cars here in the US.

tomboy Sep 15th, 2004 06:45 AM

Is there really anyone who wouldn't want ALL drivers on the highway to be licensed? How else to ensure this than to see if they have a license?

PLMN Sep 15th, 2004 07:01 AM

Before this gets discomboobulated,

I was really trying to alert people that when you tell the rental company three people and they say Okay the rate they give you may not include ALL 3 people as DRIVERS. In my case I have to pay for the two additional drivers when we pick-up the car in Venice. That is all I was trying to say.

tomboy Sep 15th, 2004 07:13 AM

Can you think of a reason they would charge extra for each driver? I would think 100% of the risk would be by the car, particularly since they don't charge more for points on one's record. One bad driver would be riskier than 4 good drivers. Maybe they do it because they can.

PLMN Sep 15th, 2004 07:19 AM

tomboy,

I'm a tiny bit confused. Are you questioning my post thinking I don't understand WHY they are charging more? Because I'm not confused on that. I fully understand that.

Or are you just clarifying foe someone else? :) or what?

tomboy Sep 15th, 2004 07:27 AM

No, I am also puzzled why they charge more, although I know they do. I just don't see a business, or economic, reason to charge for each driver, other than profit maximization.

sundown Sep 15th, 2004 07:31 AM

The rental company would tell you there is more paperwork involved with additional drivers and it's an added convenience for you. I would say it's just an easy way for them to charge more.

rex Sep 15th, 2004 07:35 AM

I think they charge more...

a) because they can - - that is, the demand to be able to do this moves the willingness to pay, "up the curve" - - of what a customer considers a reasonable cost.

and

b) true added cost on their part, in the event of an accident or anything that would take the car out of service - - then I bet anything that (insurance or not) with multiple drivers, the car is out of service longer, due to discussions, finger-pointing, negotiations, etc.

Best wishes,

Rex

RufusTFirefly Sep 15th, 2004 09:34 AM

I did note that Nova Rentacar did allow one extra driver for the same price when I was checking out some potential car rentals a couple of weeks ago. But I can't remember if it was on all of the scenarios that I checked.

Mincepie Sep 15th, 2004 09:50 AM

I know that Avis and hertz allow a family member to drive with no extra charge and no license has to be shown...although you would obviously be in trouble if you did not have one!

ezlivin Sep 15th, 2004 10:39 AM

"I know that Avis and hertz allow a family member to drive with no extra charge and no license has to be shown..."

This is so untrue. Major rental car companies always require proof that anybody who rents and drives their vehicles are licenced to drive.

The only way they will not ask for a licence from additional driver(s)is when the renter do not disclose that there will be other drivers.

nytraveler Sep 15th, 2004 10:50 AM

Agree that Avis and Hertz have always asked us to see the lic of every driver for the car - can't imagine that they deliberately did not ask - otherwise how would they ever know if the driver is legal or not.

(You wouldn't believe the # of illegal drivers on the road - perhaps more so here, I don;t know - but I just saw some stats on this and its staggering - more than 10% of drivers stopped for basic traffic offenses are illegal.)

StCirq Sep 15th, 2004 10:55 AM

In my experience, I have always had to show the licenses of any additional drivers (which of course makes perfect sense), but have never had to pay anything for additional drivers. My experience in recent years has been limited to France.

Michael Sep 15th, 2004 06:24 PM

The issue does not come up when one leases a car (buy/sell). The only rule regarding drivers is that a EU resident may not drive a car with the French tax exempt red plates.

MonicaRichards Sep 15th, 2004 07:42 PM

Hmm, I've rented cars before in the US and the spouse is included as a driver at no extra charge and if the spouse isn't there then they don't ask for their license, just check the additional driver box and that's that.

rex Sep 15th, 2004 07:46 PM

I agree with this, on spouse as additional driver, whether present or not at the time of rental. That would not, of course, let us off the hook, if she <i>were</i> an unlicensed driver (and especially if there was a problem, like a traffic stop or accident).