Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Amsterdam: Any place - NOT including the Centraal Station-- to store luggage for a few hours?

In Amsterdam: Any place - NOT including the Centraal Station-- to store luggage for a few hours?

Mar 17th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

We are 2 couples arriving into the Amsterdam airport early in the morning. We cannot check-in to our houseboat B&B until 3pm. We would prefer NOT to travel into the Centraal Station to leave our bags in a locker there. Are there any other places within the city we can leave/lock our bags? Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for us?

Thanks!
Mar 17th, 2006, 05:00 AM

You could, i suppose leave them in one of the self-service lockers or the left luggage room at Schiphol. What is your adversity with/to Centraal Station?
Mar 17th, 2006, 05:12 AM

Just because you can't check in doesn't mean that you can't leave your bags. Call the B&B and ask if they mind.
Mar 17th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Good advice from Hopscotch...there are very few places in my experience which won't allow you to leave luggage.
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

We would prefer to not go to CS because of the "unsavory" reputation it has.....pickpockets. etc.
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:56 AM

From personal experience I think you may be overreacting just a bit but I hope things work out for you so I will top this for you one last time.
Mar 17th, 2006, 08:36 AM

I've never had a problem at Amsterdam CS and two couples together would be even less likely to. It's a busy commuter station with crowds of people most of the day.

Admittedly, the left luggage locker area there is less than inspiring, and you do need to have the correct change; if you can leave your luggage where you'll be staying that would be the best solution, but if not, it would be be easier to use CS than trek all the way out to Schiphol.
Mar 17th, 2006, 08:59 AM

How are you getting from the airport to the city? If you're taking the train, you'll be at the station anyway, and it's no worse than any other major European station (better than some).
Mar 17th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Police are all over Centraal Station and CTC Video cams have made it a much safer place - the problem seems to have been solved and i wouldn't worry about it at all. Or leave your bags in Schiphol and take train back out there later to retrieve them - few euro train trip. Amstel train station may also have luggage lockers. But i've neverheard of an accommodation that wouldn't let you drop your bags off at any time.
Mar 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM

If you have ever been to Penn station in New York you'll get a sense of what Centraal is like. Don't be too paranoid when you travel. Just adopt an "I know what I'm doing" look and people will leave you alone. The worst part of the train station there is the construction, which has made it a bit of a mess.
Mar 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Where do you pick up keys for the houseboat? Is there some kind of rental office? I would ask whoever you are renting from, surely this situation comes up all the time.
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM

If you are absoltely set against the train station you could lock them at the airport and make an extra trip back there.

Or with 4 people you could camp out in a cafe, park, restaurant and leave 2 people guarding the pile of luggage, the other 2 free to walk around a bit.
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Or you could go to one of the other stops enroute to Amsterdam Centraal Station - I can't remember for sure, but maybe Leiden, Delft, or Utrecht. Check to see if those stations have left-luggage facilities, and enjoy the town for a few hours.

(I do agree with everyone that it's a bit silly to swear off the Centraal Station, though.)
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM
KT

WillTravels' idea would work if you were coming by train from somewhere other than Schiphol, but the train from Schiphol to Amsterdam stops only at a suburban A'dam station before it gets to Centraal. And all of those cities mentioned are farther from Amsterdam than Schiphol is.

I agree w/WillTravel and the others above: I'd just do the Centraal Station storage (and I have done it).

Mar 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM

KT, I guess you could go in the other direction from Schipol to those towns, though, right? I think the ones I'm thinking of are between Schipol and Rotterdam.
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
KT

Yep, the train between Rotterdam and Schiphol stops at Delft & Leiden (and the Hague). There are also some trains from Shiphol that stop at Utrecht, but that's another line.

(Unless things have changed since I last did the Dutch train thing.)
Mar 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I still say call the person you are renting from before you fret any further or start going to other cities(!) just because you don't want to use a locker at Centraal. Seems a bit drastic of a solution to the problem.
Mar 17th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your advice!

I guess I has heard CS was not a very safe place, and I thought if we could by-pass it, that would work.

I'll also check again with the houseboat B&B......maybe there's a place for luggage there.