Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   In addition to Paris... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/in-addition-to-paris-156999/)

jill Feb 7th, 2002 05:37 PM

In addition to Paris...

Once we visit Paris for several days, we would like to visit another area of France for 4-5 days. The Loire Valley or Alsace - somewhere we could get to by train and not need to rent a car once there. Rick Steves recommends Colmar and it seems attractive, but a long way from Paris (I don't want to spend a lot of time getting anywhere). We will need to get back to Paris to return home. Any suggestions?

Sue Feb 7th, 2002 05:51 PM

I would think that Strasbourg would be a better place for 4-5 days, and from there you could do day trips to Colmar, Ribeauville, Riqueviehr, and other towns/villages of Alsace. Hotel Rohan is a great place to stay in Strasbourg--right across from the beautiful cathedral, on a pedestrian street. It's a 3 star, attractively furnished, with modern amenities. It's been several years since I've gone to Strasbourg from Paris by train; at that time it took a little under 4 hrs.; not sure if the TGV now goes that route or not. It's a pleasant ride anyway. I think Alsace has more to offer than the Loire valley, unless one is really into chateaux. The German influence adds a whole different dimension to this charming part of France. It sounds like a wonderful trip; have fun planning and doing!

elvira Feb 7th, 2002 08:56 PM

Dordogne valley: fast train to Bordeaux (not a bad city to spend a day, stopover in Amboise so you can see a chateau) then drive or train to St Emilion or Sarlat and all stops in between.<BR><BR>Normandy: D-Day beaches, Caen, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, anywhere (biggest dang cows you've ever seen!)<BR><BR>Loire: train to Tours (not a bad city to spend a day), then daytrips to the chateaux.

garybear Feb 7th, 2002 09:27 PM

Normandy: Rouen, Giverny, Honfleur, Caen (Peace Museum), D-Day Beaches, Bayeux Tapestry, Mont St Michel. More than enough for 4-5 days. About 1.5-2 hr from Gare St Lazare. And the food, wine and cheese, not to mention the Calvados (apple brandy). Your stomach will be in heaven.

kalena Feb 7th, 2002 09:41 PM

Great tips, Mr. Bear. Parallels our last itinerary, with the exception of the Peace Museum in Caen, which I regret we did not make it to. It's a UN site, is it not? Next time. Peace, k

Fred Feb 8th, 2002 04:23 AM

Alsace is wonderful - my favorite area - but you really need a car to enjoy it, to get to all the little wine villages. It's very easy driving, small local roads winding through the vineyards. Slow, relaxed driving. It's a wonderful area. We loved staying in Colmar - I can give you the name of a very moderate, old hotel right in the center of the old town if you want it. Colmar is a wonderful Alsatian town - looks like a Hollywood set but it's for real. See Colmar and spend a couple of days driving out to the little Alsatian wine villages north of Colmar an hour or so - Riquewihr, Ribeauville, others. Stop for a lunch of Choucroute and a bottle of Riesling - super. <BR>They give a recommended tour from Colmar - <BR><BR>Les Circuits d'Alsace<BR>6, Place de la Gare <BR>68000 Colmar <BR>Alsace France<BR>TŽl: : 03-89-41-90-88 <BR>Fax : 03 -9-41-90-99<BR>E-Mail : [email protected]<BR>For Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

top Feb 8th, 2002 06:56 AM

to the top

top Feb 8th, 2002 01:43 PM

to the top!

jill Feb 9th, 2002 05:50 AM

Thanks for these suggestions - still looking for more.

David Feb 9th, 2002 06:16 AM

I'm reading into your questions, my preferences. I was in the Loire valley last Spring and I hate to drive on vacation. Especially being in the Loire valley and wanting to taste wines as well as site see. Those little sample glasses do add up. <BR><BR>Train about 2.5 hours to Blois in the Loire valley. Beautiful castle and excellent Sound & Light show. Saw it in French, didn't understand a word but still loved it. I think the English show was on Wed. nights.<BR><BR>Blois has a funky magic museum, though the outdoor dragon show is a bit too Disney. The museum of the resistance WWII is fascinating with all kinds of photos.<BR><BR>Once in Blois you can easily train to Amboise and see their castle, Clos de Luce where Da Vinci died and quirky toy museum. <BR><BR>Another possibilty is staying in Tours about 3 hours by train. A gorgeous cathedral and nice little art museum. Their castle isn't much, but it's a good sized university city with alot of night life. The added bonus of staying in Tours is that it's a rail hub for the Loire valley area. You take the train directly to most anywhere in the Loire. I did this for Chenonceau and Chinon.<BR> <BR>Other cities you can easily take the train to are Saumur, Anger, Amboise, Blois, etc.<BR><BR>Check rail connections at www.sncf.com to see what else you can get to. <BR><BR>Besides the towns I've mentioned, I was also in Beaugency, Orleans and Anger. If you want more info, just ask.