In a bind - last minute hotel needed for Paris 4/21 - 4/28

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are set to be in Paris in just two weeks - this will be the first trip for both DH and I. Unfortunately, the apartment we were set to stay in emailed us today letting us know it was a cash only arrangement. DH was nervous with the lack of security with a vague cash exchange and we are now on the hunt for a more secure stay at a HOTEL. We are young, 30 somethings looking tobe near transit - perhaps near arrondissement 1, 4, 5 or 6 as recommended here? We are able to spend $250/195 euros a night.
Thoughts or recommendations from a recent stay? Any help you could provide us in our last minute search would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
thank you in advance!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM

I've used this website and these hotels for clients:

http://www.hotels-paris-rive-gauche.com/

They may have a feature for searching all the hotels in the group, or you may have to do them one at a time.

How about venere.com for Paris? You can put in your dates, area, and get hotels according to guest ratings. But I do recommend the first website I listed.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Most apartments are cash only-- why would it be insecure if you're paying upon arrival and can see that the apt exists?
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

DH felt we had no recourse should something go wrong - concerned that paying cash left us unprotected. felt more secure knowing that with a credit card we could at least dispute the charges should something go wrong.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM

activehotels.com and laterooms.com are pretty good when booking at last minute hotels.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM

A place in the 1st that we have stayed and absolutely loved is the Hotel Britannique. It is a beautiful hotel, in your price range, and the location is great. It is on a pretty quiet street, but with a metro stop on the next block, and a block from the Seine.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the recommendation MMS!!
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM

jade--You are welcome We stayed there for a week and did not want to leave. If you book there and have any questions, just ask.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Try hotels in the 14th, Montparnasse. It's a great area, close to tranist, and sites and hotels are a bit less expensive. I really like the Hotel Lenox Montparnasse though the rooms are small, but then many rooms in Paris are. Good luck. Though...I gotta agree with MME Fifi. If it is a reputable rental which you can research both here and on other sties, the cash thing is really common and frankly in the long run cheaper and roomier. At any rate enjoy Paris!
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Old Apr 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM

You can't dispute a credit card payment for an apt because of things going wrong. You could only dispute it if it didn't exist, probably, or you were evicted early -- if you stay in an apt for the term agreed upon, that is the contract, I believe. Besides, any place that lets you book by CC makes you do it way ahead of time, not on site, so the charges will have already gone through, most likely.

You are thinking apts are like hotels, and they aren't -- there isn't such a thing as only paying when you leave and then not getting the charges for some weeks (and I don't think legally you can dispute a charge for a hotel that you stayed in but just didn't quite like).

Just ask how many people who paid for an apt. by credit card (when the charges will go through before your stay) successfully disputed and got money back that way if things weren't to their liking and they actually stayed there. I bet you can't find any. Well, I'd be very interested if you could.

But, to be honest, I am not a big apt fanatic, I think in most cases hotels are better and more convenient and a lot less trouble (and more predictable or reliable). Especially for people who have never been to Paris before and for only 1-2 people.

YOur budget isn't too bad and it isn't quite the worst hotel season to book last minute, so I think you should have success. I like Montparnasse a lot, also, but there are lots of places you can stay. I like the hotels in this group
http://www.esprit-de-france.com/fr/

You can check availability online -- they have 3 nice hotels available on your dates in your price range, check them out" Hotel Aiglon, Hotel d'Orsay and Hotel Mansart. I've stayed in the Aiglon a lot and really like it, but don't book the cheapest rooms or they will be rather small for a couple. They are good for a single. That is what they call "chambre club". But you can get a superior room there during your dates for only 138 euro. A lot of people like the Mansart, also, it's on the Right Bank.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is really too bad you/DH didn't ask here first to allay your fears. Paying cash is pretty normal. I've rented many flats in Paris and London and the VAST majority were cash payments. A few took credit cards for the deposits - or even a US$ personal check they'd hold til arrival. But then the actual payment was cash.

Not exactly sure what you're worried about - since if you get to a hotel and don't like it, your credit card won't refund the money. If you like the looks/location of the apartment and it isn't too late to re-book -- I'd keep the apartment if it was me.

Otherwise you'll just have to check all the suggestions for hotels and hope you find one w/ availability.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM
tod

Hi Jade! We have paid over 350euros by Bank transfer into the owners account way back in Novemebr 2009 for our rental apartment for August 2010. Now all we have to do is pay another 350 in cash euros to the keyholder upon arrival at the apartment.
I have never heard of anyone being conned on this board in the past 4 years but that doesn't mean there aren't scams out there. I think you would have been pefectly safe with the apartment.
Now, obviously you have cancelled the rental? Can't re-instate it?
You will always get a room at the thousands of hotel rooms available at the big chain hotels like the Ibis. Look at their website as they have a lot of special offers at the moment.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM

I second the recommendation of the Hôtel Mansart, which is just off the well located Place Vendôme. The hotel actually shares a wall with the Ritz. On the hotel's street you will find a pharmacy, an ATM, and a post office, as well as any number of cafés and restaurants.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree re the Hotel Mansart - a terrific location. However -- to get their good rates one must pay fully in advance and there is no refund/cancellation. So you may have similar reservations about booking there as w/ the apartment.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:37 AM

You could try the Vacationinparis web site, their office is in NJ so we paid for our apartment with our credit card in dollars, no exchange rate charges and no large security deposit. We stayed in this apartment last month and loved it, great location, small but perfect for two people.

The people at VIP were great to work with.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi jade,

we had to find a Paris hotel at reasonably short notice recently, and though we didn't book the Brittanique, it was on my short-list and they were very helpful.

we ended up at the hotel des jardins du luxembourg, which is in a very quiet side-street near the luxembourg RER which makes getting around a doddle. it's at the north of the latin quarter so though it's not in the middle of the action, the action isn't far away.

it was a bit cheaper than your budget - €131 for a room with a [tiny] balcony and full bathroom. breakfast was €11 each extra. the reception staff were very helpful and friendly in a professional way. but it's just one of hundreds of hotels - I'm sure you'll find one you like.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM

People who have had problems from VIP never got their money back when there were "problems", such as contruction going on, etc. It's been reported on Fodors. Paying by credit card does not guarantee you'll get money back due to problems. VIP wouldn't even give them a discount refund, they only gave them a small credit good towards future rentals or something, as I recall.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM

As I recall the complaint was that construction cranes in the neighborhood spoiled the view of the Eiffel tower several blocks away. No landlord has control over the view from their window and asking for refunds for a spoiled view is I think unreasonable.

I found VIP, great to work with, as have many other Fodorites, and would rent from them again in a heartbeat.