Impressions of Austria

Search

Impressions of Austria

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions of Austria

First, I have a 72-hour Vienna Card but I mostly keep it secured in my pockets because you can board any transport and there are no turnstiles to track usage?

Other than validating the first use at a U-bahn station, it seems there's nothing to discourage you from using these transports other than the possibility of being asked to produce a valid ticket.

Kind of like transport tickets in Venice. They never checked your ticket on the Vaporetti because there was such a crush of riders that they never checked them. Even on very early morning boats with a few passengers they never checked.

Not advocating this though, as public transport deserves to be well-funded.

Second, a lot of Italian influences, not just in the restaurants but a lot of the architecture.

Lastly, why is TP in these Germanic countries (and Stockholm too IIRC) as thick as our paper towels?

Is it a green thing, that they're recycled and can't produce something more fine?

Or is it a reflection of the diets, with all the wursts and schnitzels? Not just in Austria but Germany, Switzerland too?
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM

I don't know why the Europeans haven't discovered Charmin but I once read that in the Netherlands they have an honor system ticket routine on public busses and trams. People caught violating this have to take thier clothes off and ride naked. That was the story anyway. I never saw anyone get busted.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM

I was riding a bus in Klagenfurt when an inspector got on the bus and began checking tickets. One lady did not have one had he gave her a citation for what seemed to be a substantial sum. I have also had inspectors board and check tickets in Portugal and Prague.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had an inspector board the metro in Vienna - the very first one I rode on my last trip, in fact.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM

I think inspections tend to be random, but they are probably not as rare as you think. I think someone checked my ticket on the train ride to the airport. Also I've been checked on the vaporetti in Venice before.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Ticket controls can happen any time, but you have a greater chance to get checked during the first days of a month. That's when monthly passes have to be renewed and millions of commuters are a more interesting prey than the odd tourist riding without a ticket.

You find Charmin toilet paper in any drugstore or supermarket, also in Austria.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Yeah I think I've seen ticket control once or twice on the Madrid metro. Good idea to have more presence, given the pickpocket problems there.

Just curious why hotels in these countries put these paper towns in the bathrooms.

Other thing they do is to give you liquid soap as combination shampoo, bath gel.

I should add that Salzburg was nice too but you need at most a day or two there.

Vienna is great for museum lovers but they need to offer something like a 72-hour ticket and I don't mean the 1 Euro discount with the Vienna Card.

Probably should have planned for day trip to somewhere like Melk.