Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Immigration in Rome and Copenhagen
Notices

Immigration in Rome and Copenhagen

Apr 16th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Immigration in Rome and Copenhagen

Hey guys, my husband and I are leaving for a trip to Italy tomorrow, and I'm trying to figure out timing for the end of the trip. We fly out of Rome and then have an overnight layover in Copenhagen, so we'll leave the airport and come back the next afternoon for the second leg of our flight. We're flying SAS. Will we have to go through immigration control for the U.S. in Rome and/or Copenhagen? We did that in Dublin, where you go through immigration for the U.S. in Dublin instead of in the states. I figure we'll have to go through immigration to leave the Copenhagen airport, but I didn't know if we would go through it again the next day coming back to the airport. Does that all make sense?
Apr 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Ireland is unique in Europe in offering US immigration before you fly.

So you won't go through immigration in Rome, since you are flying to a Schengen country, Denmark. You won't go through immigration when you leave Copenhagen airport, since you came from a Schengen land.
On returning to Copenhagen airport for your flight home you will go through passport control to show you are leaving Schengen, and you will then go through US immigration at your first point of arrival in the US. You will also go through customs there.
Apr 16th, 2013, 07:17 PM

Exactly - you don't go through Immigration on exit - only on entry - except for Ireland (although you do have to show your passport to get on any flight).
Apr 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM

I had a flight from Rome, overnight in Brussels, then on to the States.
My luggage was checked all the way through so in the morning, I arrived at the airport, went thru security straight to the gate.
The airline paged me at the gate and I had to re-check in before they would load my bags onto the morning flight. My bags missed the flight.

Search this Thread