Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I'm taking one day trip from Paris. Where should I go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/im-taking-one-day-trip-from-paris-where-should-i-go-88129/)

MED Sep 28th, 2000 06:08 AM

I'm taking one day trip from Paris. Where should I go?

I posted a similar post on the France board but I know you guys hate the new system so I'm trying it over here. <BR>Here are my ideas. Please cast your votes: <BR>Lyon <BR>Dijon <BR>Loire Valley <BR>Rouen <BR>Reims <BR>Thanks in advance for your input.

elaine Sep 28th, 2000 06:12 AM

Hi <BR>I don't know if you are renting a car or using public transportation, which for some of these places does make a difference. <BR>Just based on own experience, I vote for <BR>Reims, if you like cathedrals and <BR>champagne

francesca Sep 28th, 2000 07:36 AM

Lyon and Dijon are too far for a day trip, IMHO. Chartres and some of the Normandy beaches might be other possibilities.

MED Sep 28th, 2000 07:54 AM

It only takes a couple hours by TGV to get to Dijon and someone told me the same is true for Lyon. Was this wrong? I've been to Bayeaux, the D-Day beaches and Chartres already but thanks for the input.

Lori Sep 28th, 2000 08:03 AM

All are doable as day trips, but it depends on your own interests and stamina for long days, etc. Personally the chateaux of the Loire Valley are my favorite, but Reims, Rouen are both good choices. I think Lyon and Dijon are a bit farther afield for 1 day but it depends on you.

Bjorn Alvik Sep 28th, 2000 10:07 AM

Hi, MED. <BR>I'm Norwegian. My wife and I have done a lot of European travel. A good advice: Don't be too ambitious. <BR>The suggestions to you all seem fine to me, but I really would consider the distances and thus the waist of time. <BR>Why not keep it simple? Versailles and Chartres. But since Chartres already has been visited, I might consider Le Mans. That town is really much much more than a formel-1 arena, with all it's medevial buildings. <BR>Another site, not far from Paris is Fountainbleu (or how you spell it). Beautiful buildings and parks, excellent restaurants. Go there! <BR>Bjorn

Daniel Sep 28th, 2000 10:37 PM

Absolutely, postively the Loire valley. We just returned from a fairly broad tour of much of Europe, including the Riviera and Provence along with the interior and Paris, and I must say, the Loire was the most beautiful. All I had expected from Provence (and Tuscany, for that matter) was in the Loire region, from picture-postcard villages and countryside to the magnificent chateaux. I particularly liked Azay-le-Rideau, Chenonceaux and Amboise, but Chambord and some of the others were equally impressive. DO IT!

francesca Sep 29th, 2000 01:42 AM

4 hours total train travel would be a lot for me for a day trip, that's why I'd advise against Burgundy. Tours and the Loire are only 50 mins. by TGV from Paris. The chateau Vaux-le-Vicomte is a great day trip (a car is better, but it can be done by train/taxi). Fontainbleau and Barbizon (pretty village where many artists worked) are also in that same general area south of Paris.

jack Sep 29th, 2000 03:56 AM

If you're in Paris-and haven't been out to Versaille..do that... It will take the day..train is easy and you get a great sense of history.. Also eat at Cafe Julien on the Rive Droit. They do an excellent job and great ambience.. We just got back. sorry to have missed the Paris car show.