I'm looking for hotels in venice

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Matthew Dyer

I'm looking for hotels in venice

does anyone know about Savoia & Jolanda, Olipia, Panorama. Prices between $150-250. Are there better hotels for less? better locations? also, how easy is it to get around? Thanks

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Venice hotel

Pensione La Calcina on the Guidecca canal near the bridge L'Acadamia at the Zaterre vaporetto stop (forgive all misspellings). On the lower end of your price range, I believe. Great location. About 10-15 minute walk max. into San Marcos but out of the hub-bub.

www.lacalcina.com

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:14 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

In that price range I like La Calcina,
the Bisanzio, and the Kette. My son enjoyed the Savoia & Jolanda. Good luck

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Wayne

Don't know about the Panorama, but the Olimpia is out on the western edge of Venice, just across a small canal from Piazzale Roma---so it isn't exactly the best location, though it is a decent hotel within your price range.

The Savoia & Jolanda is right on the Grand Canal in a good location, and it's the lowest cost hotel you will find with that kind of location. The interior is a bit tired, and the staff occasionally seems that way too; but it is within your budget, barely.

Better hotels for less? Probably depends on what your definition of "better" is. There are certainly hotels that are more up-to-date or more charming than S&J, and lower in cost, but not with that Grand Canal location. So it all goes back to what you want---great location? nice rooms? wonderful staff? reasonable price? all of the above? If it's all of the above, and if "great location" means being somewhere on the water, go for La Calcina as already mentioned. Otherwise, there are literally dozens of nice hotels not on the Grand Canal in Venice, but well within your budget.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Terra

Hi There

I know the Savoia e Jolanda, but it was a few years ago that I saw the hotel. Back then, it was still a 3 star, but has been bumped up to a 4 star after some renovations. Some rooms may still be non-renovated, so you should check that before arrival. Also, some rooms face the water and some don't. I found this site to be helpful:
http://www.1stvenicehotels.com/

I am sure that it is a lot cheaper than the Hotel Danieli just a few doors down. The location of the S&J can't be beat.

I used to be friends with the Food and Beverage Manager there- Diego. If you see him tell him I said hello!

Terra