Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for a restaurant, maybe in the Trastavere area (Rome), that has a stage show with dinner, singers in costume, Neopolitan, etc. Sound familiar?

I'm looking for a restaurant, maybe in the Trastavere area (Rome), that has a stage show with dinner, singers in costume, Neopolitan, etc. Sound familiar?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:07 AM
jan

Years ago (1984) my husband and I were in Rome and decided to try a spot for dinner that was suggested in a guidebook I had at the time, (which has since been discarded or lost, which explains why I'm now having to ask for help). I am totally unable to tell you where in Rome this place was, though I suspect Trastavere. We practically stumbled upon it. We thought we were just going to have a nice dinner, but the layout in this restaurant was unique. There was a lower floor with a stage at the end, and an upper tier like a balcony that surrounded the main floor. As dinner got started, much to our surprise, so did a stage show. This show consisted of the actor/singers in provincial costume representing the various regions of Italy as well as the music. It was almost a vaudevillian type show at times with humor and some slapstick, but the main thing was the singing which was fabulous. There was a tenor who could sing Neopolitan songs with the best if them! It was an amazing evening.<BR><BR>I feel like a fool for not having kept up with the information on this, but it WAS almost 20 years ago. Does any of this ring familiar to anyone out there??<BR>We are going again next week, and I would love to take our children to this place, if it still exists. Any help or suggestions for similar venues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:37 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:17 PM
tina

again.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:49 PM
ttt

Surely someone out there remembers the place that Jan is talking about. <BR><BR>I ran a search with Google and found Fantasie di Trastevere. It's a restaurant in Trastevere that has some sore of folkloric show. Probably not the place that Jan was talking about, but I gave it a shot!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:15 PM
jan

You know, ttt, that may very well be the place! The name does not sound familiar at all, as in surely I would remember a name like that! But I found their website and I'll have to say that from the pictures it looks a lot like what I remember. Thank you for your search! If anyone else has any ideas about what they think it might be, or if you've been to this place, let me know. Thanks!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Pauline

Jan,<BR>Your physical description of the place reminds me of this<BR><BR>http://www.tanagra.it<BR><BR>This restaurant is beside the Tiber. I can't remember what suburb.