Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I'm leaving for Germany in 3 days, any last minute recommendations?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/im-leaving-for-germany-in-3-days-any-last-minute-recommendations-265422/)

Jill Oct 12th, 2002 02:24 PM

I'm leaving for Germany in 3 days, any last minute recommendations??

I am leaving on a business/leisure trip to Germany this week. We will be visiting the cities of Dusseldorf, Aachen, Monschau, and Koln. ALthough some time is scheduled I will have a good deal of free time. I admit I have not researched for this trip as much other European vacations simply because my itinerary was set by someone else in terms of the cities visited. I would appreciate any suggestions on places of interest, I enjoy gardening/horticulture, wine, art - but do not want to overdo the museums, and shopping. I'm not a fan of heavily touristed areas but rather areas where I can soak up local flavor. Thanks!

nancy Oct 12th, 2002 02:42 PM

A boat trip down the Rhine would be wonderful; you can hop on/off the boat. My favorite town is St. Goar. Also, if you can make a 2-hour drive from Koln to Trier, that's a town worthy of seeing.

CharlieB Oct 12th, 2002 02:57 PM

You will enjoy Aachen, Monshau, and Koln. D-dorf is a big city and not a tourist attraction. Given time I would head for the Mosel area and the Rhine south of Koblenz. Worth seeing in the Mosel are Trier (old roman ruins) and the towns of Bernkastel, Traben-Traubach, Cochem and Burg Eltz (a real castle and much more interesting than Neuschwanstein. In the Middle Rhine, Rudesheim, Bacharach, and Braubach (Marksburg Castle), are delightful towns. It's a little late for any horticultural endeavors and most of the wine fests are over, but there is plenty of good wine to savor. ENJOY!

Oct 12th, 2002 03:08 PM

Click anywhere on this message to respond - - the original post is on www.travel-board.com<BR><BR>Exchanging euros/dollars with other travelers<BR><BR>I never think about this until it's too late - - after passing through passport control, and twiddling my thumbs at the airport gate.<BR><BR>But why don't we get rid of our last few euros right at the airport by standing near the gate of arriving passengers? Why use the bank as a middle man? Departing passengers should simply stand outside the arriving passengers area with euros in an out stretched hand - - and then exchange with arriving passengers one for one for US dollars.<BR><BR>We never think to do this when we are departing.<BR><BR>Anyone ever tried such a thing?<BR><BR>I'd be interested to hear about any such experiences - - and especially if you try it as a result of my posting the suggestion here.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

suzi Oct 12th, 2002 06:28 PM

We leave on Saturday for Germany. I spoke with a friend in Munich and her advice was to bring an umbrella and warm clothing. It has been damp with temps in the 50's (F) during the day. <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR>

up Oct 13th, 2002 06:46 AM

only 2 days left!<BR>

Maira Oct 13th, 2002 07:03 AM

Rex, I am not sure it's fair to post a direct link to another travel board in the fodors board. If you post the weblink, is fair game, but... a direct link? Please don't get me wrong; I am just wondering.... (thanks again for your help on the transp FCO- hotel).

Jill Oct 13th, 2002 12:50 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I know we do have a cruise onthe Rhine scheduled for one day, but other than that its pretty free. Now I just have to begin the packing - ugh!

Hans H Oct 14th, 2002 12:39 AM

D&uuml;sseldorf: The K&ouml;nigsallee is one of the most expensive shopping miles in Germany. If you're a fan of Japanese food, D&uuml;sseldorf is probably the best place in Germany to get it. Go into the old town for dinner and nigtlife.<BR><BR>K&ouml;ln: Several very good museums. I like the Museum Ludwig for modern art and the R&ouml;misch-Germanische museum (Romans in Germany). Something very different: the Stollwerck chocolate museum. If you're interested in the post-war German history: In Bonn (about 25 minutes away from Colgne), there's the Haus der Deutschen Geschichte.<BR>And if you're in Cologne, go for one of the brewery pubs. The Fr&uuml;h is quite nice and very close to the cathedral. I also like the P&auml;ffgen. Try one of the traditional dishes, like Himmel un &Auml;&auml;d. It's fried liver and blood sausage with mashed potatoes, onions and apple sauce. Tastes much better than this sounds.