Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I'm "guacameela" and I'm new to Fodor's (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/im-guacameela-and-im-new-to-fodors-686673/)

guacameela Mar 10th, 2007 11:29 AM

I'm "guacameela" and I'm new to Fodor's

Hello again

I just asked a question using my mom's screen name (canterbury). Then she politely asked me to "go get yourself you're own screen name", so I did. I am guacameela. My sister and I are going to the Netherlands on Monday. She is 17 and I'm 18. I asked if I could buy wine on the plane. My mom didn't know, she couldn't remember that far back I think! sorry mom. Also, can we bring some wine back - will customs allow me as long as I am within the quantity limits?

Thank you in advance. My mom is always quoting Fodor's so you all have given great advice.

guacameela

fnarf999 Mar 10th, 2007 11:34 AM

Ask again with a subject line that indicates your question. None of the people who know the answer are going to look at your post.

janisj Mar 10th, 2007 11:36 AM

welcome to fodor's :)

Just a hint. This is a really busy forum and you usually need to put some detail in your titles so folks know what you are asking.

I'd re-post w/ something like "17 and 18 year old's - can we buy wine on the plane and can we bring wine back into the State?"

And have a great trip!

janisj Mar 10th, 2007 11:37 AM

Sorry - I was posting at the same time as fnarf - didn't mean to pile on . . . .

guacameela Mar 10th, 2007 12:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I already asked my question using my mom's screen name and got one answer. In the future I will remember to write a better title. I guess I can't have any wine on the plane. Since I don't drink (only wine a couple times a year) I was hoping it would help me to sleep. Oh well. It doesn't matter because we are REALLY excited to go to Europe!! Thank you, guacameela.

Carrybean Mar 10th, 2007 12:19 PM

You're supposed to be 21 on a US carrier. Whether they card you, I have no idea. You must be 21 to bring liquor back to the States so your parents can but you can't.

Have fun in the Netherlands!

CAPH52 Mar 10th, 2007 01:09 PM

Just wanted to chime in to wish you two a wonderful trip. I'm sure your sister is looking forward to your visit!:)

quokka Mar 10th, 2007 01:10 PM

Welcome on board guacameela, and have fun travelling!

ira Mar 11th, 2007 07:32 AM

Hi G,

>can we bring some wine back - will customs allow me as long as I am within the quantity limits?<

Yes, but it has to go in checked baggage.

Bring bubble wrap.

((I))

canterbury Mar 11th, 2007 08:01 AM

Thank you all for your answers. We'll just forget about the wine, then. All we have to do now is to pack and then we are off tomorrow! My mom has suggested I read some threads on packing, so I'll do that. Again - thank you for all the kind wishes!

guacameela

canterbury Mar 11th, 2007 08:03 AM

PS: I'm using my mom's computer. I'm working on getting my laptop ready for travel.

ira Mar 11th, 2007 08:06 AM

Hi G,

Why do you need a laptop?

It is heavy and easily stolen.

((I))

kybourbon Mar 11th, 2007 08:22 AM

Legally, you must be 21 to bring alcohol back with you, but I'm sure many get away with it that are underage. I'm not familiar with any Netherlands wine, but bottles of wine are quite heavy to lug around.

CAPH52 Mar 11th, 2007 08:42 AM

Since you'll have access to your sister's computer, I'm inclined to agree with Ira. Leaving it at home would give you one less thing to worry about!;)

I would hope that you girls are going to be having too much fun to be spending much time on the computer anyway!:D

suze Mar 11th, 2007 08:58 AM

welcome to Fodor's. have a great trip! watch it, or you'll get a lot of opinions about taking (or not) a laptop -lol!

CAPH52 Mar 11th, 2007 09:04 AM

I know, Suze, I know! Giving unsolicited opinions! But she's canterbury's daughter, we have to watch out for her!:D

canterbury Mar 11th, 2007 01:33 PM

Canterbury here.

CAPH - thanks for the sweet comments.
The girls are mostly packed and can't wait to leave tomorrow.

The computer is staying home. DH suggested they bring it but it's just going to be in the way. So once they were all packed up, they decided they didn't want one more thing to carry. Very wise, IMO.

Anyhow - thanks again, everyone, for being kind to my little birdies. Hopefully, they'll share some high points (and hopefully the low points will be few) with you all.

c.

kleeblatt Mar 11th, 2007 11:01 PM

Which airlines are you flying with? If you fly with KlM, you just might get some wine on the plane.

16+ is the typical drinking age for wine and beer in Europe. 18+ for hard liquor.