Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I'm going to Italy, what kind of toothpaste should I take? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/im-going-to-italy-what-kind-of-toothpaste-should-i-take-106447/)

silly Feb 16th, 2001 08:56 AM

I'm going to Italy, what kind of toothpaste should I take?

I'll be drinking alot of espresso and thought maybe something other than mint might work better. Maybe a good gorgonzola, or limone. Any thoughts?

Jim,dds Feb 16th, 2001 09:02 AM

Crest.

nancy Feb 16th, 2001 09:14 AM

Actually Silly has brought up a point I am curious about. <BR>we will be in italy for 18 days, and only want to take a small amt. of toothpaste, shampoo, sunscreen. <BR>As there will be 4 of us, to bring enough for our trip would add alot of bulk to our packing. <BR>Does anyone have some favorite brands of these items they could recommend for us in italy? <BR>thanks. <BR>

dale Feb 16th, 2001 11:16 AM

go the a farmacia and buy something. relax.

lyv Feb 16th, 2001 11:28 AM

Unload bulk, load up souvenirs!

cmt Feb 16th, 2001 11:45 AM

No toothpaste is necessary. The Italian diet is known to act as a natural dentifrice, oral cleanser and antibacterial substance. Hard, crusty bread scrubs the teeth when chewed, and fresh fruits and vegetables clean the teeth and gums. Garlic has natural antibiotic properties. Be sure to eat raw fennel after all heavy meals, because it acts as a natural breath freshener. Cinnamon granita can refresh breath between meals. Eat well, return to Italy frequently, and your dentist will go out of business.

Santa Chiara Feb 16th, 2001 11:56 AM

I now bring my Italian toothpaste back to the U.S. with me because I no longer can abide the American kind. If you can find a toothpaste with a hexagonal, I believe, cap, it will be the coolest, cleanest taste you can imagine. And as for sunscreen: ha! The Italians have reinvented the before, during and after tanning process and the lotions to accompany each phase. Not to worry. Buy it here, and enjoy the experience. <BR> <BR>And I do realize the original question is a troll.

medic Feb 16th, 2001 01:42 PM

to cmt your comments about using no toothpaste have trrown dentistry back 100 years. have you never hheard of plaque or calculus. simoly eating bread or fruits or anything will not remove plaque. your half asssed advice will promote gingival disease and if done long enouogh carious lesiions of the teeth. before you give advice again know what you are talking about so wrong advice that could cause harm id avoided. you dont need to ask my profession as it shoul be obvious

xxx Feb 16th, 2001 01:46 PM

Medic, hmmmm.. are you a spelling teacher?

cmt Feb 16th, 2001 02:23 PM

Poor, poor medic. Years of eating boring unappetizing non-Italian food have caused stiffening of the brain and fingers. The former, sadly, has resulted in a severe impairment of your ability to recognize a joke, and the latter, in an inability to operate the shift key on your computer. Tsk, tsk. You must add some more olive oil to your diet, eat oranges for dessert, avoid nasty eggs for breakfast, and drink wine in moderation and only with meals. It will improve your disposition and brighten your smile.

Al Godon Feb 16th, 2001 02:43 PM

Get some Aquagel and then swing by Mt. Etna or the Pompeii region and scoop up some of the volcanic ash. Mix with the Acquagel for the best cleaning effects. <BR>It should not only remove plaque, but if you swig lots of Oxyfresh, it might even make a dent in the garlic and tobacco stench you will acquire.

Trollophile Feb 16th, 2001 03:15 PM

There's an Italian brand of toothpaste and floss with designer packaging. The floss container and toothpaste cap are shaped like....TROLLS!!! <BR> <BR>This is true. Look it up.

xxxx Feb 16th, 2001 03:34 PM

Being that so many Italians smoke - why bother keeping a clean mouth if they don't? Of course, I suppose you could do other things than kiss.

xxx Feb 16th, 2001 03:41 PM

That's why I love this site!!!!! Thanks to all above.

xxx Feb 16th, 2001 09:16 PM

The silly-bug is loose again.

medic Feb 17th, 2001 09:39 AM

dear cmt which i assume to stand for complete mental termite maybe you should learn how to tell a joke so one can recognize it. several other people also failed to see joke. if we are not the only people to fail to see this humor i also assume someone may take your ill given advice. take your own advice it may improve your brain to finger connection

Trollophile Feb 17th, 2001 12:16 PM

One of the most enjoyable bonus aspects of intelligence is the ability to produce, recognize and enjoy humor of all kinds. One of the saddest handicaps of the more rigid (and often but not always less intelligent) mind is the inability to "get" subtle whimsy or any but the most obvious verbal humor. The no toothpaste is needed story wasn't the world's most hysterically funny joke, but it was OBVIOUSLY a tall tale, of a gently humorous variety. Thankfully not all jokes wear a big sign or hit us over the head.

silly Feb 17th, 2001 12:24 PM

Well put Trollophile! Sometimes I really can't believe how stupid some of you are? How do you make it across the street, let alone travel through Europe! <BR>If something sounds a little askew than we are probably joking, you know having some fun! Isn't that the purpose of this board, sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves and all the dumber than dumb questions we post! <BR>People really do need to laugh more! <BR>I'm off now to think up my next stupid question! Ha Ha By the way, laughing adds years to ones life, which will give us all more time to travel!

XYZ Feb 17th, 2001 01:29 PM

Plus as if the content didn't already give away the fact that these posts were meant as a joke, if you'll notice the original poster was called "silly" at address "just havin fun" and cmt's address was "grin"--- GIANT HINTS that they were making jokes ----clues, BONK, BANG!!!

Huh? Feb 17th, 2001 02:11 PM

I still don't get it.