Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

im driving nxt week to BG anyone wanna join me?

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,im driving to bulgaria next week,and wondered if anyones going who wants to join me?also message for shazza 999,how do i reply to your questions?
i go through france/germany/austria/hungary/romania.
Also if anyone has been to BG driving through serbia etc,would it be adviseable to have green card?if to difficult,i will stick to normal route.
So anyone want to be my companion?boring on road alone.

Cheers all.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do we do about hotel rooms?
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:25 AM

You need a green card just to drive through France and Germany, never mind the rest. It is your international certificate of third party insurance. Should you be involved in an accident and not have one you could be in real trouble. Arrange one immediately and check it cover you for all the countries you will be visiting. It should do, but some still have restrictions on certain Eastern European countries.
Have a fun, and a safe, trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:30 AM

We've driven a lot on the Continent, never had a Green Card, just taken DH's UK driving licence & insurance certificate with us. We have had an accident in France (which involved the car being towed off the motorway) & shipped home but no paperwork problems. So I had a google & the websites I looked at vary in where they say it's not compulsory, but they all say it's not compulsory in the EU : this from viamichelin -

"The international motor insurance certificate (“Green Card”) is not compulsory within the EU, but is universally recognised and therefore makes it possible to speed up the settlement of a claim."

The AA says "You do not need a green card for driving in the EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Croatia or Liechtenstein.".
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

hi schuler,are you going then,are you m or f?we can get rooms en route,if cheap enough!are you interested then?
Richard.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah... to follow a whimsical spontaneous idea and jump into a man's car I've never met and speed around Eastern Europe, talking about different cultures, experiencing different foods and situations while leaving all your problems behind you.

All I need to do is say yes.

Sorry Richard. Maybe you'll find another free spirit. This spirit isn't free or spontaneous enough at the moment.