Drive from Munich to Prague to Budapest to Vienna and return to Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to drive from Munich to Prague and then to Budapest via Bratislava. And then drive from Budapest to Vienna and then back to Munich.
Want to know is this feasible in 10 days in mid September?
Planning a 3 days in Prague, a night halt at Bratislave. Then 2 days in Budapest and possibly 3 days in Vienna and last day driving to Munich.
I know it's tight but have only 10 days and prefer to drive. Had enjoyed our Salzburg and Grossglockner drives last year a lot.
Any towns I'm missing ? Any changes you recommend in the itinerary?
Thanks a lot
Rajeev
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you prefer to drive? Are you stopping anywhere en route? Because otherwise it makes much more sense to take the train (see seat61.com ) Use viamichelin to estimate drive times.

Is two days in Budapest three nights? It's very short even then. You need to lay this out on a calendar with drive times.
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:02 AM

Feasible? Yes.

Advised? No but it's not my trip.

Your route looks ok. Have fun.
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:06 AM

First, you are wasting a day by having to go back to Munich. Instead get open-jaw (called multi-destination) flights into your first city and out of your last.

Second, no - going to 4 major cities in only 10 days (and how many nights on the ground is this - 11? or only 9?) really makes little sense. You won't have the time to really see much of anything in any of these wonderful cities - whether you go by car or by train. Have you even looked at the travel times between these cities? Most of your time will be spend just getting from one place to another!

If it were me I would pick just 2 cities and actually see something of them - and not spend a significant amount of time and money just chasing in circles.
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:12 AM

Sorry - I have nothing against road trips in Europe. We have done at least 20 of them - but not trying to see 4 major cities, small town stops and countryside in between in so few days.

This will be more the Bataan Death March than a vacation.
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:41 AM

If your plan is to visit big cities, it doesn't make sense to drive. When you arrive in a city, you'll have to find your way in, find and pay for parking, then get yourself to your hotel. Then wend your way out when you move on.

Trains depart and arrive in the middle of town. And, with large seats and big windows, allow you to enjoy the countryside without keeping your eye on the road.
Old May 24th, 2016, 07:10 AM

<<If your plan is to visit big cities, it doesn't make sense to drive. When you arrive in a city, you'll have to find your way in, find and pay for parking, then get yourself to your hotel. Then wend your way out when you move on.>>

Not to mention procuring vignettes as necessary.

Note also that Prague has had a reputation as car-theft central. Some rental agencies would not let their cars go to Czech Republic for this reason. I don't know if that remains true. That research is on you.
Old May 24th, 2016, 07:44 AM

<i>Note also that Prague has had a reputation as car-theft central. Some rental agencies would not let their cars go to Czech Republic for this reason. I don't know if that remains true. That research is on you.</i>

Sixt will give you a "cheaper" car if they know you are taking it into Eastern Europe. So I end up rocking a VW or Skoda instead of a BMW.
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses! Appreciate.
Just to clarify I'm doing 3 cities. Just picking up car in Munich. If I have to choose two between Vienna, Prague and Bydapest which one ?
Also what about doing side trip to Budapest from Vienna and rest by car?
Finally bit worried about hearing car thefts in Prague. I Thot if we keep car in garage or hotel it will be safe. Pls advise.
Also any other place worth stopping by if we do the car.
It's 10 nights.
Thanks again
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:37 AM

I have driven and stayed in Prague many times. Just lock the doors and don't leave anything in there and you will be fine. Hotel parking will be safe enough.
Old May 24th, 2016, 01:11 PM

<< If I have to choose two between Vienna, Prague and Bydapest which one ? >>

Uh, your math is off.

That said, Budapest and Prague.

Dunno how you'd do a side trip to Budapest from Vienna - that's 3+ hours train or drive each way. Bratislava is thisclose to Vienna.
Old May 24th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Well if you're not going to see anything in Munich why are you flying in and out of there - and then doing all of that extra driving (or training, which makes much sense for all cities).