Reload this Page >

I'm Confused! The Train from Bath to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 08:29 AM
xxx

From what I have read, I understood the train from Bath to London to take approximately 1 1/2 hours and not require any changes. Is this incorrect? When using TheTrainLine.com, I am finding only trains that list 3 required changes and that take 3 1/2 to 4 hours. The stations I am entering are departing from Bath Spa and arriving at London Paddington. Help! What am I doing wrong?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:21 AM
ron

I just went to Trainline, asked for trains leaving after 10 am tomorrow on this route and got listings for 4 direct trains, 9:57, 10:27, 10:57, 11:27, all taking about 90 minutes. Are you looking for a train at some odd hour of the night?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:06 AM
xxx

No middle of the night trains. I asked for a 9 am. I just tried again and received departure of 10:35 arriving 13:59 and departure of 11:35 arriving 15:27. Under "Changes" each list 3. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:13 AM
Moira

I took the train from Paddington to Bath last spring and Ron's information sounds right. We actually did have to get off the train at one point, but that was just because something went wrong with the train (this happened almost every time we got on the tube too -- it was like a curse!). Also, we just showed up at Paddington with no advance knowledge of the schedule and bought tickets at a machine and hopped on a train that was just about to leave -- it was very easy!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:29 AM
xxx

Try typing in your schedule at the official train site of Britain, Railtrack: <BR> <BR>http://www.railtrack.co.uk/travel/

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:43 AM
Vanessa

xxx, <BR>As Moira said, it is very easy to get to Bath from Paddington Station. You really don't need to reserve your tickets or anything like that. I just woke up one morning when I was in London, went to Paddington Station. Bought a ticktet to Bath Spa, the guy at the ticket window told me what train to get on, and that was it. It took like 1-1/2 hrs. Don't even worry about it till you get there.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:26 AM
xxx

We are going from Bath TO London? Should that make a difference. I will try the "railtrack" site though. Thanks.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 12:05 PM
xxx

I was successful on the railtrack site. Then I was tried the Great Western site. Can we purchase single apex tickets online? I was advised that would be the cheapest ticket.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 05:31 AM
Andrew

I checked this at Bath Station this a.m. for you. <BR> <BR>Apex tickets can only be booked for departures after 10.00a.m from Bath on the Bath-Paddington route. Therefore the earliest departure you can use is: <BR> <BR>10.27 - arrives Paddington at 11.58 <BR>Cost: £17.50. <BR> <BR>(The 10.35 departure trainline has quoted you is a much slower route changing at Salisbury, arriving at London Waterloo. Journey time 3 hours+). <BR> <BR>Not sure why you're having problems with 'trainline.' When are you travelling ? The timetables change in May, - perhaps you're trying to book too far in advance... <BR> <BR>If you are unable to book through trainline.com I'd be happy to book it for you and post it, - I'm through Bath Station most days. <BR> <BR>E-mail me at the above if I can be of help in this way. <BR>