Reload this Page >

What's an American kitchen in a French house rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:45 AM
ingrid

In some of the house rental descriptions in France, they list an "American kitchen". What does this mean? Also, are "French beds" standard size, and if yes, how big are they?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:57 AM
Rex

Undoubtedly means just a larger more modern kitchen. Probably has a dishwasher, range/oven, good chance of a microwave. If these details are important to you, best to ask before signing any deals.<BR><BR>I have never seen the term "French bed" in any French rental descriptions, but undoubtedly means a standard "double" bed (i.e., NOT a queen or king).<BR><BR>I would recommend asking these questions again on www.slowtrav.com - - a lot of knowledgeable people there about villa travel.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Myriam

An American kitchen is not necessarily well equipped. It means an open kitchen forming part of the living room.<BR>French beds are usually 1.60m wide for a double and 0.90m wide for a single. length = 2.00m

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
Martine

It is an open kitchen. A kitchen that is in the same room as the living room. In France and everywhere else in Europe people now build American kitchens, but older houses still have the kitchen in another room next to the living room.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:16 PM
steve

On the GItes-de-france site, most beds are listed as either 140 cm or 90 cm (Width I assume)

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:20 PM
Christina

Myriam above told you the general sizes of standard French beds which are about the same as American (plus there are 180 cm which are king size, which is not common, but if it's there it is usually two 90 cm beds put together, not one bed), but were you just asking about that or did this ad actually use the term "French bed".... because if it did, I believe that term is used in Germany or Switzerland for a bed that is in-between a twin/double bed size (ie, a large single bed). If the owners are not French but Swiss or German, it might mean that.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:31 PM
Rex

I apologize to Ingrid, and to whomever feels that they need an apology from me.<BR><BR>I did take an educated guess that this was simply a marketing phrase to convey that the kitchen had features more like the (often) open "feel" of an American home.<BR><BR>Of course, I have been in French, and in Italian kitchens. Both in residences and in rental properties. I would rattle them off to you, but undoubtedly someone would label that as self-aggrandizing also.<BR><BR>With one exception, Janis, I thought that the kitchens I have seen in Europe compare fairly favorably with "average" kitchens in the US. In most, the dishwashers seemed quite a bit smaller, and I have encountered some pretty lower-end ovens. But I am sorry to make it sound like I consider kitchens in the US superior to those I have seen in Europe.<BR><BR>Would I ever answer a question with "I don't know - - that is outside my area of expertise"? Of course not, I would leave it alone, as I do over 90% of the questions asked here.<BR><BR>I still encourage you to visit www.slowtrav.com, ingrid. You may find some interesting replies there.<BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Myriam

I made a mistake in my initial posting! French beds are indeed usually 140m wide for a double and NOT 160m. Sorry!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Huh?

I think the question was going straight through the light and Rex chose to take a left...without using his blinker!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:04 PM
GrammarGirlie

Rex, Rex, une faute: "to WHOever feels. .. " Whole phrase is object of prep. and whoever is the subject of that phrase!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:02 PM
xxx

http://slowtrav.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=759607521&f=821606885&m=2786070121<B R><BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:27 PM
let

Rex, why confuse the issue further??<BR>Myriam and Martine, who both LIVE in Europe as we know from their many good posts on this forum, both gave the one and only answer: what the French call "une cuisine am&eacute;ricaine" is an open kitchen, part of the living and/or dining room. It has nothing to do with the appliances. Does it make sense? Maybe not, just like the term "French fries", but hey, if that's what they want to call it...

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:33 PM
Kay

I take it this thread has been weeded -- what happened earlier?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:08 PM
Rex

&lt;&lt;une faute: "to WHOever feels. .. " Whole phrase is object of prep. and whoever is the subject of that phrase!&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Indeed you are right. Thank you for pointing it out.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:25 PM
GrammarGirlie

You're welcome; I would want to know and assumed you would, also.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:16 AM
mpprh

Cuisine Americaine <BR><BR>Hi<BR><BR>I have one of these !<BR><BR>It is a kitchen integrated into another room (lounge or dining room), separated by a bar / worksurface.<BR><BR>Seems they are very popular here in France. Most new properties have them.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>Languedoc, France<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:53 AM
clairobscur

Actually, a "cuisine americaine" is likely to be smaller and have less appliances than a regular kitchen. That would be the kind of kitchen someone who mainly "cooks" with a microwawe and who wants to spare space would have.<BR><BR>A kitchen open to the living room isn't exactly ideal for people who like cooking (because of the odors,noises,etc.. and because these people need space).

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Ingrid

Wow, more responses than I expected. Yes, I skipped the part that the descriptions of rentals in France were in a German brochure.<BR>I was just wondering if a Franzoesisches Bett had a standard size (I know it's with one matress as opposed to the German "matrimonial" bed). Seems the consensus is 1,40 m. Thanks!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Vivian

clairobscur - why the need for quotation marks in the phrase &lt;someone who<BR> mainly "cooks" with a microwawe (sic)&gt;?<BR><BR>Microwave ovens do indeed cook foods you know, and do it very well while saving energy and time.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:20 PM
clairobscur

Hmmm....There aren't much dishes one can properly prepare with a microwawe.People tend to use these ovens when they don't want to actually cook...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -