Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I'm Blue for the Bleu! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/im-blue-for-the-bleu-742582/)

jody Oct 13th, 2007 01:22 PM

I'm Blue for the Bleu!

But Congratulations to England for making the finals in the World cup!

Heimdall Oct 13th, 2007 01:24 PM

What a match!

Images2 Oct 13th, 2007 01:32 PM

I thought it was dull. I'm also blue for the Bleu:(

Heimdall Oct 13th, 2007 11:54 PM

While watching the match (when I could take my eyes away) I was reading another thread about American sports vs that other kind of football, aka soccer. I couldn't help but reflect how much more exciting rugby is than the others. It would have been a better match if there were more tries, but this English-based American was on the edge of his seat.

robjame Oct 14th, 2007 12:41 AM

Great fun!
Too many Bleu errors.
Too young a team?

kerouac Oct 14th, 2007 02:34 AM

Very dull match. Les Bleus always follow up an amazing victory (against NZ) with something appalling. Probably has something to do with adrenaline deficit the second time.

audere_est_facere Oct 14th, 2007 02:45 AM

I watched the game, as what Englishman is going to miss and England France world cup final?

It's still bloody dull though.

annhig Oct 14th, 2007 03:07 AM

Dull? DULL???

were you watching a different match?

it was edge of the seat stuff in our house. [all right, this is cornwall where we get excited watching the grass grow]. no nails left.

Heimdall Oct 14th, 2007 03:08 AM

Okay, the consensus seems to be that it was a dull match, but I enjoyed it. Perhaps it was the diet of American sports I grew up on that makes rugby so exciting to me. ;-)

annhig Oct 14th, 2007 03:09 AM

oops, posted that too early. just toooo excited!

it was certainly more interesting that the yawn-inducing football match in the afternoon.

regards, ann

audere_est_facere Oct 14th, 2007 03:17 AM

Heathen.

Did you see the England fans celebrating after the match. It reinforced very negative feeling I have about the game.

It's all about Wednesday night chez Dave.

annhig Oct 14th, 2007 06:08 AM

audere,

what were they doing exactly that so offended you?

Drinking/not drinking?

Fratanising with the frogs/ not fratanising etc.?

tearing up the town/not...?

I even heard some french supporters saying that the best team won. Beats the behaviour and attitude of your average footie fan. [present company excepted of course].

I think you're just suffering from spurs deprivation syndrome. or not.

regards, ann

sheila Oct 14th, 2007 09:05 AM

We were on the plane back from France, and I'm not sorry I missed it. Every nes bulletin since 10pm last night has started with that bloody drop goal! No wonder England is the team everyone loves to hate!

Now, how does it go? Dum de dum de dum de dum dum "in South Africa, our land!"

(and I've never supported THEM through two games in a row before)

flanneruk Oct 14th, 2007 09:14 AM

Sheila:

For once I agree with you. BBC's sense of news priorities has been a disgrace for the past day - and the stories ("England fans celebrate: over now to our correspondsent in Paris Pete Mc Bathos: 'Yes it's Pete here, and the fans are celebrating. Listen to them', followed by the sound of two people singing "Swing Low" badly, slurringly and semi-audibly) have been amateur, pathetic and of zero news interest.

Still, at least it stops them further canonising Al Gore or going on ad even more nauseam about what a mess Brown's in.

Maybe there's just nothing happening in the real world.,

audere_est_facere Oct 14th, 2007 09:46 AM

audere,

what were they doing exactly that so offended you?>>>>

Breathing.

sheila Oct 14th, 2007 01:17 PM

Michael

I don't know if you were watching that, but, if you were, Will Greenwood's performance is EXACTLY why I'm off to learn the words of Nkosi sikele Afrika.

PS, to the furriners, South Africa just thumped a spirited Argentina. The commentary from a former England international would have had you doubt that they weren't replaying last night's game.