Reload this Page >

I'm at La Bastide de Marie!!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Kay

We arrived at La Bastide de Marie in Provence yesterday. Wonderful food, plenty of snacks and wine, great breakfast, all included with the room (lunch or dinner and breakfast and snacks and wine included.) We have the Blue room and it is charming with both a bath and a separate shower. The grounds are lovely, although the wind is a little cool. It is too cool to swim. Visited Les Beax, St. Remy, and Arles today. This is a very nice place and very comfortable. Dining is elegant casual. The staff is very friendly. We are very happy here! Kay

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:28 AM
mike

Sounds great! Keep us posted. M.

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Kay

Hi Mike. Thanks. My on-going trip report is under the headline, More trip report from Positano. We have stayed at some great places on this trip. I will add to this report about the hotel if I feel there is more to add. Kay

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:26 PM
anne

which town in Provence is this hotel?

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:57 PM
mimi taylor

Glad to hear you like it there, Kay. We are booked for one night at the end of August.

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Kay

Hi Anne and Mimi. We are in Menerbes. Mimi, you are going to love this place. The food is an experience in itself. Last night, after afternoon tea and an apricot tart, we enjoyed appertifs while we comtemplated our dinner order. You always have a least 2 selections for each course and everything we have tried was wonderful. Last night we had fabulous lobster as a starter, then very tender beef, followed by a cheese tray and then cherry tarts. Today, on our return from Avignon and the Pont du Gard, a wonderful chocolate cake was waiting for us. Tea, coffee, wines, water, olives, nuts, etc. are always available to you. The wine of the domaine is very good. Everyone is very nice here and we feel so comfortable. I would describe it as casual, dinner dress ranges from casual to casual elegant to suits, but most are casual elegant. A pashmina goes a long way here. There is a quiet relaxing atmosphere here that makes you wonder if you really want to leave for the day. We seem to be the only Americans here, but everyone is very helpful about translating the menu for us. I am happy to answer any questions you have. Oh, your dinner table is reserved for you, so you can show up anytime between 7:30 and 9:30 so this gives you lots of flexibility. Well, it is time to get ready for dinner, must go... More later. Kay

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:47 AM
xx

Is this the same Bastide that refused to admit the Israeli couple? If so, did you ask them about it? What was their reply<BR>I guess I have a suspicious nature, but if this is the same place, this review seems a little too fawning and gooey to be real. It feels staged to me.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Kay

No it is not that Bastide. Bastide is a general term. Perhaps you should ask all the Bastide's in France if they are the one. I WILL NOT! Everyone is wonderful here and would not be associated with that type of behavior.<BR><BR>Another wonderful meal last night. Today we visited Gordes and other villages, but Gordes was the only one we really liked. We find each day we want to get back earlier to our hotel. More later... off to Barcelona tomorrow.

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:26 AM
BTilke

I think that Bastide was Bastide de la Fave. Speaking of which, did anyone who emailed them about the refused service to the Israeli couple ever get a reply? No flame wars, please, just an update.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Kay

Just an update to say that La Bastide de Marie was "simply perfect." This was a wonderful place to relax and have privacy. I can't stress enough how great the food was!!!! Kay

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:02 AM
mimi taylor

Kay, next time try my favorite place, The Crillon la Brave.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Kay

Mimi, I will, thanks for the advice, but it will be awhile. The euros are flying out of my pocket. I go back to reality next week.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:02 PM
RMC

Kay.....<BR><BR>I've been checking here ever since I got back from Hawaii a few weeks ago. I must have missed your original post. I'm dying to hear all about the hotel. It sounds absolutely wonderful! Please post your whole trip report when you get back. We can't wait to go to La Bastide in October so I want to hear all about it.<BR><BR>Thanks!!!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:22 PM
Kay

RMC, I just saw your post. I haven't been checking this one. Please let me know if you have any questions. If I remember correctly, you also reserved their best suite! I can't wait to hear about that! I posted a report under European Luxury Hotel Report (w/the help of a kind consolidator.) You are going to be very happy there!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:33 PM
mimi taylor

Hi kay , on another thread someone thought it was too expensive but you have pointed out what you get, Dinner 'out" can be tres cher. So considering that, Marie is not bad.<BR>I can't tell you how excited we are to be there later. The first few days it opened we were told about it by the antique shop in Bonniex, but got lost, so I thought, next trip!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:52 PM
Linda

If you have tme drive to Cassis, a town on the sea. You can take boat rides into the fiords. Beautiful little town surrounding the harbour; lots of shops and restaurants.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Kay

Mimi, It is a little hard to find. There are two roads going into Menerbes and we were on the other one. We had to go into town and get directions, but it is not far from the town of Menerbes. We thought La Bastide de Marie was one of the best values for the price on our trip! It would be even better in warmer weather because it was too cool for us to use the inviting pools. I can't wait to read your report. Kay

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Kay

Linda, I didn't read about Cassis until I was already on my trip and I didn't schedule the time for it, but I wish I had. It sound wonderful! Thanks for the info. Kay